Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

I note that recently the requirements to collect the residence permit from CW has expanded to include Work Permit and Marriage Certificate

if an applicant who applied under the classification of married to a Thai was to retire during the long wait and therefore did not have a work permit when came time to collect the Residence Book, what would happen

interestingly you would still be able to produce a marriage certificate even if the relationship had ended

I read some of the info you gave , so my question is I live in Nontaburi so I would go to the nontaburi office not the one on changwattanya?

thanks in advance

Not sure what your question is. To apply for PR, you have to go to Immigration at CW. After your PR is approved, you collect your PR book from CW and then apply for a red alien book at your amphur's main police station in Nonthaburi (either Muang, Pakkret, Bang Bua Thong, Bang Yai, Bang Kruai, Sai Noi).

I note that recently the requirements to collect the residence permit from CW has expanded to include Work Permit and Marriage Certificate

if an applicant who applied under the classification of married to a Thai was to retire during the long wait and therefore did not have a work permit when came time to collect the Residence Book, what would happen

interestingly you would still be able to produce a marriage certificate even if the relationship had ended

If you applied under the family category, you need to produce your actual wife too. I'm not sure what would happen if you didn't/couldn't.

You don't need to have a current work permit at the time your residence permit is issued. At least that is the case under family category. I presume it would be the same under business but don't know for sure.

If you applied under the business category and are now retired, I read in this topic that a copy of your last WP (or the expired book) will be acceptable.

If you applied under the business category and are now retired, I read in this topic that a copy of your last WP (or the expired book) will be acceptable.

When I collected my PR book last week, they asked for a copy of my WP along with various other documents. They kept copies of the other documents but didn't keep the copy of my work permit. I read somewhere that they need your work permit so that they spell your name in Thai the same as it is spelt in the WP.

Does anyone know, for certain, if the final fee payable is based on the original application or can it be changed according to current status?

So much time has been lost in the last few years that since the application I married a Thai (longer than the qualifying period) and even started a family!

Can I pay the lower fee?

should be based on original application. better call CW and reconfirm.

It's worth asking but I am sure they will tell you that you are free to withdraw this application and re-apply from scratch as someone married to a Thai, if you want to save the dosh. That is the quid pro quo of approving people who stopped working after they applied. Remember that, if you had applied as having a Thai spouse, they would have had to do exhaustive due diligence on your wife and your marriage, including photographs of the two of you on the marital bed together.

Not saying that you are wrong about what they will likely say but I'm pretty sure that applying under family vs business and the lower fee based on marriage are separate issues. In other words, if you have been married for 3 years but apply under the business category you will still qualify for half fee.

I think his issue is whether the requirement of 3 years marriage would apply to the date of application or the date of receiving PR. It could be argued that it isn't fair because someone that got married in 2005 and applied in 2006 or 7 would pay full whack whereas the same person applying 2008 would pay half even though they received PR at almost the same time.

EDIT: You're right about the quid pro quo though. Hadn't thought about that.

Since posting my question I have received the letter (I am in the Class of 2008) and will go to CW next week. My agent says the status is as at the time of application however I will present wife and docs when I go and ask the question nicely before paying!

More in a few days!

Once you have the red book from local police station can you go to CW straight away to CW and get reentry done?

Yes. I did exactly that.

EDIT (again...): Sorry, I just remembered that I didn't go straight from the police station to CW. I did visit the amphur in between. But CW didn't ask anything about Tabien Baan and I recall other posters saying similar.

Thankyou for this information. Could you just also help advice the followings:

What form is used for Pr for reentry application is it TM8 or any other?

Do they stamp reentry on your passport or on your PR book?

How long the process takes at CW?

Once you have the red book from local police station can you go to CW straight away to CW and get reentry done?

Yes. I did exactly that.

EDIT (again...): Sorry, I just remembered that I didn't go straight from the police station to CW. I did visit the amphur in between. But CW didn't ask anything about Tabien Baan and I recall other posters saying similar.

You don't do a re-entry any more. You get an "endorsement" in the PR book and a non-quote immigrant visa with single/multiple entry in your passport. All this is done at CW counter E1, if you are in Bangkok.

Yes. I did exactly that.

Use TM13 and TM22...see attached

tm13.pdf

tm22.pdf

When I received my PR book last week I went to the VIP room and they took pictures. Does anyone know if they post the pictures somewhere because I would like to get a couple of copies?

Guess you may ask CW about it. Advice for the other who are going there to get PR, Take your own camera as well.

Yes. I did exactly that.

Use TM13 and TM22...see attached

Thanks for posting those. Filed them away for next year.

Hi,

What are the criteria for the fee I will have to pay when I will get my PR?

(I heard by my lawyer that my case was accepted and files in waiting sign at the Minitry of Interior).

I have a 3 years old Thai daughter and will get married to her mum (Thai) soon, but I apply in the category based on workpermit.

I am in the batch of 2011.

Thanks, and congrats for all who get the PR already.

Why didn't you apply under the married to Thai category (humanitarian)?

I don't know what you will have to pay. Did any of the documents you had with your application show that you were married to a Thai?

Because I got married in January 2008 and applied in December of that year. Since my wife is significantly younger than me, went for the Business Category. Marriage question came up during the interview. Just heard today from my agent that my Application has been approved - will discuss with her tomorrow and let you know what she reckons.

Why didn't you apply under the married to Thai category (humanitarian)?

I don't know what you will have to pay. Did any of the documents you had with your application show that you were married to a Thai?

Because I got married in January 2008 and applied in December of that year. Since my wife is significantly younger than me, went for the Business Category. Marriage question came up during the interview. Just heard today from my agent that my Application has been approved - will discuss with her tomorrow and let you know what she reckons.

OK - my agent's advice is:

* marriage registration must be at least 2 years prior to the date of PR application

* she reminded me that's why my application was made under the Business Category (leum,,;)

My passport is full and I am applying for a new one. Now that I have the PR and no more extensions of stay, do I still need the letter from the embassy for immigration, stating that old passport number 12345 has been replaced with new passport number 56789?

Pakkret police station managed to find me a spare alien book and I went to get it yesterday morning. The officer was very pleasant but it took a long time because he was unfamiliar with the procedure, which wasn’t surprising because I was the 3rd book they had issued in about 5 years!

A few things which may ease the process.

1. He will ask you where was your passport issued. I said Hong Kong because that’s from where British passports are now issued. That confused him (how come a British passport was issued in Hong Kong?) so we agreed on England, which made much more sense.

2. He struggled to find some information which we eventually found in the Residence Certificate on page 4 – info about the number of my certificate issued to my nationality.

3. Have your parents’ names in Thai printed out…makes life easier.

My passport is full and I am applying for a new one. Now that I have the PR and no more extensions of stay, do I still need the letter from the embassy for immigration, stating that old passport number 12345 has been replaced with new passport number 56789?

I have changed passports several times since getting PR and no one has ever asked for such a letter from the embassy. When you go along to CW with your new passport you have a choice of having your latest endorsement transferred to the new passport, for which there is I think a small fee, or getting new 1-year endorsements in your passport and residence book for the normal fees, which is worth it, if the endorsements have nearly expired. As your endorsements must be new, it would be better to transfer them over.

I have changed passports several times since getting PR and no one has ever asked for such a letter from the embassy. When you go along to CW with your new passport you have a choice of having your latest endorsement transferred to the new passport, for which there is I think a small fee, or getting new 1-year endorsements in your passport and residence book for the normal fees, which is worth it, if the endorsements have nearly expired. As your endorsements must be new, it would be better to transfer them over.

Thanks for the clear reply. The endorsement is one month old, so I'll have it transferred.