Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

There were no educational restrictions (I don't have a degree) or rules about owning a condo etc. when I applied in 2006, and as far as I know none have been added since.

Also, as long as you have had the WP and paid taxes, and have been in the country for the last 3 years you should also meet those qualifications.

Thats the good news.

The bad news is you will still need a work permit even after you get PR, which in itself will probably be 2012 at the earliest. You cannot apply until December 2010, and it usually takes around 18 months to get, apparently.

The worst news is that all of the applications since December 2006 are stuck somewhere awaiting approval/rejection, and show no signs of appearing any month/year soon.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, as long as you have had the WP and paid taxes, and have been in the country for the last 3 years you should also meet those qualifications.

Do those three years have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes? Or can you have been a student?

Say I got a Masters Degree at a prestigious Thai University (2 years) then either started a company and got a WP for myself or got a job with a WP for one year - would that count as three years? Or would the time at University (on an ED Visa) not count?

Also, do they do criminal background checks or require police certification from your embassy or home country?

Thanks!

Edited by YanTree

Do those three years have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes? Or can you have been a student?

Say I got a Masters Degree at a prestigious Thai University (2 years) then either started a company and got a WP for myself or got a job with a WP for one year - would that count as three years? Or would the time at University (on an ED Visa) not count?

Also, do they do criminal background checks or require police certification from your embassy or home country?

Thanks!

You have to be on the same work permit for three years. Unfortunately, being here in non-Imm for three years (as a student) does not count, that time is simply ignored. Like you, I also studied for my Masters' here before working, so this is first-hand information.

Yes, they do require a clean police record from your home country, and you have to have it translated duly into Thai language. the translation must be certified by your embassy, and they can ask you to have the translation verified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which was required in my case.

My boss wants me to work for her company permanently. But she is tired of renewing my visa and work permit every year. It's not really a large company but she is a millionaire. she is looking for a easy process and thought it would be better if i have a PR.......but i left under graduate without finishing and i don't have condo or house of my own in thailand.

i'm 31 and i have been living in thailand for last 12 years. Working for this company for last 3 years. i have WP and business visa.

can i apply for PR?

thanks for any inputs.

Sounds like you can apply, working for the same company for 3 years. Expect the process to take any time between 18 months and 18 years. Just kidding! I don't know anybody who has been waiting for more than 5 years after applying.

Are you sure about the same ork permit? I believe they require the last two years with the same employer.

No orks involved, but I am sure that the work permit has to be at least three years old before you can apply for a business-based PR. In fact, they told me to come back "next week" because that was when my work permit was three years old.

I asked in November last year and was told that work permit must be with the same employer for at least 1 year. I wouldn't mind if it is a somewhat flexible rule that gets increased to 2 years for long-haired flip-flop wearers

The 3 consecutive 1 year visas and work permit rule are an absolute necessity I was told. Work permit must not be in a manager position (any legal position is OK) and there is no rule for education (don't even have to finish primary school actually), BUT… you have to get 50 points and there is no way you get that without having a work permit and a pretty OK salary for 3 years.

A northern European person applying in 2009 got 20 points for paying 280,000 bath tax in 2008, another 10 points for 145,000 bath per month salary (50 tawi/12). As we can see, the lion share of the points is for economic contribution.

Edited by MikeyIdea

Thanks!

You have to be on the same work permit for three years. Unfortunately, being here in non-Imm for three years (as a student) does not count, that time is simply ignored. Like you, I also studied for my Masters' here before working, so this is first-hand information.

Yes, they do require a clean police record from your home country, and you have to have it translated duly into Thai language. the translation must be certified by your embassy, and they can ask you to have the translation verified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which was required in my case.

Thank you for this. Unfortunately though it appears this country will never be blessed with me as a permanent resident or citizen!!

Thank you for this. Unfortunately though it appears this country will never be blessed with me as a permanent resident or citizen!!

I've been waiting for my PR for so long, I'll be eligible for a retirement visa soon! Same difference: Need to report to the authorities every year.

Having said that, Malaysia offers the "Second Home" program, and it is much easier to get a PR over there. Takes about six months, a friend recently reported.

Malaysia offers the "Second Home" program, and it is much easier to get a PR over there. Takes about six months, a friend recently reported.

Ya, but then you will be living in Malaysia... :)

True, but this was meant as a veiled hint that I would appreciate it if Thailand had the same program... :D

Work permit must not be in a manager position (any legal position is OK)

What do you mean, exactly? Many applicants, myself included, are in some kind of management position.

Sorry, I see the confusion I caused. I heard a number of years ago that the work permit had to be in manager position and that a (low) position that had the word "officer" in it didn't qualify to apply for permanent residency. This turned out NOT to be true. I asked at TM and they said that work permit can be in any position, doesn't have to include the word "manager" or anything

Work permit must not be in a manager position (any legal position is OK)

What do you mean, exactly? Many applicants, myself included, are in some kind of management position.

I believe it's a mistranslation: "don't need to be" is expressed as "must not be" in some languages, including German. I do believe he Mikey means "The work permit does not need to be for a management position".

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry if im in the wrong thread but im a bit lost!

My work permit expires mid August but my company sacked me and others to downsize our division recently and told me they will cancel my WP ..... can they do this?

i had a 12 mnth visa along with the WP.

thnx in advance for any help

IG

Hi,

Sorry if im in the wrong thread but im a bit lost!

My work permit expires mid August but my company sacked me and others to downsize our division recently and told me they will cancel my WP ..... can they do this?

i had a 12 mnth visa along with the WP.

thnx in advance for any help

IG

It's definitely the wrong thread - moderator, can you move this?

To answer your question: When you've lost your job, you have to cancel your visa within 1 day. The company will give you a letter, stating that you are no longer employed as of [insert date]. If you don't go on the date stated in the letter, you are in the country illegally and will be fined, I think I paid THB 1,000/day or so for a two-day overstay because I didn't know that you have to go immediately. Immigration can still give you an extention for 7 days, so that you have enough time to pack your bags and leave the country. Or, find a new employer and apply for a new work permit (which was already lined up in my case).

In other words, your employment-based visa has become invalid, because you are not employed any more.

The WP (blue book) is yours to keep as a souvenir.

This was my experience in June 2008, the regulations might have changed in the meantime, but I haven't heard anything new.

To answer your question: When you've lost your job, you have to cancel your visa within 1 day. The company will give you a letter, stating that you are no longer employed as of [insert date]. If you don't go on the date stated in the letter, you are in the country illegally and will be fined, I think I paid THB 1,000/day or so for a two-day overstay because I didn't know that you have to go immediately. Immigration can still give you an extention for 7 days, so that you have enough time to pack your bags and leave the country. Or, find a new employer and apply for a new work permit (which was already lined up in my case).

To add something relevant to this thread: If you have applied for PR which is still pending, you just go to the PR office and they can give you an extention for 6 months. This means you can stay and don't need to leave the country. If you find a job during that time, you can apply for a new work permit.

Any news for new PR being issued ? I applied since 2006 and seems a lot of folks are waiting just like me .

Really if they would just get on with it ..... I need to know my future prospects in this country.

Been here for 17 years and if at the end of the day they decide not to issue PR anymore then I am wasting my time in this country.

Any news for new PR being issued ? I applied since 2006 and seems a lot of folks are waiting just like me .

Really if they would just get on with it ..... I need to know my future prospects in this country.

Been here for 17 years and if at the end of the day they decide not to issue PR anymore then I am wasting my time in this country.

No news of any description but can't think they are going to stop PR as they have been taking new applications every year since 2006.

Nothing we can do I am afraid except continue the long wait. Maybe they will issue 2006 to 2008 in one go.

No news of any description but can't think they are going to stop PR as they have been taking new applications every year since 2006.

Nothing we can do I am afraid except continue the long wait. Maybe they will issue 2006 to 2008 in one go.

I am thinking of applying for PR in about 20 months or so. I have already 4 extensions of stay with tax receipts to proove this. Yes I am on a Non B visa. I have the Number 1 form and the number 91 forms from years gone by stored away for future use along with salary receipts too. I have a query. If I apply in December 2010 ( The usual period in which the applicants can apply) does this mean I will get an automatic 6 month extension after I pay 7600baht or will I get the extension after they approve my PR? This does not mean I will get the PR. It just means I have met the requirements because I know at the moment they are not approving Prs and I also know 1 hasnt been approved since the coup. Lets hope that the country is stable and the elections in 2011

go down without incident. Also has anyone heard of a teacher at a government school who earns 40k a month being accepted for PR. Incidentally I work for one of the most prestigious goverment schools in Thailand. It i s very famous in Thailand and has produced Prime Ministers before. Please help. I imagine they are generally interested in high earners like people who make about 300000 a month. I am married too to a professional who earns double I do. Legally by the way. Please advise. Do I stand any chance of being accepted? I dont speak Thai, but after I finish my MA in Education I am going to study. I am a fully licensed teacher by the way. That means I have a work permit , a 1 year visa and a teachers license. Please help.

I am thinking of applying for PR in about 20 months or so. I have already 4 extensions of stay with tax receipts to proove this. Yes I am on a Non B visa. I have the Number 1 form and the number 91 forms from years gone by stored away for future use along with salary receipts too. I have a query. If I apply in December 2010 ( The usual period in which the applicants can apply) does this mean I will get an automatic 6 month extension after I pay 7600baht or will I get the extension after they approve my PR? This does not mean I will get the PR. It just means I have met the requirements because I know at the moment they are not approving Prs and I also know 1 hasnt been approved since the coup. Lets hope that the country is stable and the elections in 2011

go down without incident. Also has anyone heard of a teacher at a government school who earns 40k a month being accepted for PR. Incidentally I work for one of the most prestigious goverment schools in Thailand. It i s very famous in Thailand and has produced Prime Ministers before. Please help. I imagine they are generally interested in high earners like people who make about 300000 a month. I am married too to a professional who earns double I do. Legally by the way. Please advise. Do I stand any chance of being accepted? I dont speak Thai, but after I finish my MA in Education I am going to study. I am a fully licensed teacher by the way. That means I have a work permit , a 1 year visa and a teachers license. Please help.

I know my nationality wont help me, but what can I do. I am British by the way.

If you want to apply for a PR on base of work, you are out of luck, as the minimum monthly salary is THB 80,000 (THB 50,000 if it is your own company). I know of university professors who have been rejected. (Dsiclaimer: Inforamtion is form 2006. Something might have changed in the meantime.)

However, since you are legally married to a Thai, you can try the family approach. I don't know much about that, except that you need to be married at least 18 months.

Also has anyone heard of a teacher at a government school who earns 40k a month being accepted for PR. Incidentally I work for one of the most prestigious goverment schools in Thailand. It i s very famous in Thailand and has produced Prime Ministers before. Please help. I imagine they are generally interested in high earners like people who make about 300000 a month.

The minimum is more like 80,000 for a European but my lawyer told me it isn't set in stone. There can be exceptions depending on the circumstances and "social contribution" etc. The only way to know for sure is to go and talk to Immigration in October. Brush up on your Thai as much as possible.

Also has anyone heard of a teacher at a government school who earns 40k a month being accepted for PR. Incidentally I work for one of the most prestigious goverment schools in Thailand. It i s very famous in Thailand and has produced Prime Ministers before. Please help. I imagine they are generally interested in high earners like people who make about 300000 a month.

The minimum is more like 80,000 for a European but my lawyer told me it isn't set in stone. There can be exceptions depending on the circumstances and "social contribution" etc. The only way to know for sure is to go and talk to Immigration in October. Brush up on your Thai as much as possible.

Nothing is cast in stone in Thailand, but the actual regulations are a good guideline:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/r...n_notice_en.pdf

Point 3.2.3 number 3.) is what I was referring to in my post. The exceptions are mentioned in the same document. In fact, I wouldn't trust a lawyer who suggests anything outside of this framework.

And go to the immigration website: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...?page=residence

Here you can find a link to all required documents. Just click on the blue text.

Thanks, Mario. I'd recommend everyone check these pages because they are dated December 2009 and a lot has changed since my original post. Just look at all the photos you have to provide, for example.

The exceptions are mentioned in the same document. In fact, I wouldn't trust a lawyer who suggests anything outside of this framework.

At the time I applied, a fellow applicant with the same legal firm had his application accepted even though his income was only 30,000 baht. He'd been in Thailand for decades but I don't have any other details and I don't know if he got PR or not.

The criterion of applicants still seems to be the original document from 2004, and still contains the "extra circumstances" catch-all phrase:

"3.5 Qualification of applicant on extra circumstances to be considered on a case by

case basis

1) An individual who produces benefit to the Kingdom of Thailand or Thai

Government or was selected by a national institute as the one whose performance causes

benefit to this country or perform for the authority"

The exceptions are mentioned in the same document. In fact, I wouldn't trust a lawyer who suggests anything outside of this framework.

At the time I applied, a fellow applicant with the same legal firm had his application accepted even though his income was only 30,000 baht. He'd been in Thailand for decades but I don't have any other details and I don't know if he got PR or not.

The criterion of applicants still seems to be the original document from 2004, and still contains the "extra circumstances" catch-all phrase:

"3.5 Qualification of applicant on extra circumstances to be considered on a case by

case basis

1) An individual who produces benefit to the Kingdom of Thailand or Thai

Government or was selected by a national institute as the one whose performance causes

benefit to this country or perform for the authority"

Nice one. For the average applicant, i.e. the mortals among us, this may not apply.

This does not contradict my earlier post, in which I said that exceptions are mentioned.