Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

grtaylor, I am happy to hear that you received your approval letter (and congratulations!) despite the fact that it isn't the best timing for you. However, it begs the question whether other 2006 applicants have received their approval letters? Surely you can't be the only one? When I phoned the PR section they categorically said that no 2006/2007 applications have been signed by the Minister of Interior.

If anybody else has received their approval letter please speak up.

The plot seems to thicken......

I have not received notification either for 2006 but my wife who works for The Government checked and was told that they were still waiting to be signed off by The Minister of Interior. Thjey have however sent out the letters to the applicants that failed so not sure what GR Taylor has received as he is in Philippines

Suppose in our case then NO news is GOOD news butwho really knows.

The letter I have is signed by the Director General of Immigration. It was sent to my office address as registered at the time I applied. It is not a letter of rejection. . . . . .

True - I was still correcting documentation up until about May 2007, its the initial application you need to get in on time.

G

I asked the officer there and she explicitly told me that they would contact me approx in May (for information but what info?) and then (vaguely) told me and again "later in the year for the interview". The May thing sounds normal

Another interesting thing. She showed me sample of criminal record that I must have and that was an original from a 2008 applicant. It seems that 2008 applications have not yet left immigration

Edited by MikeyIdea

True - I was still correcting documentation up until about May 2007, its the initial application you need to get in on time.

G

I asked the officer there and she explicitly told me that they would contact me approx in May (for information but what info?) and then (vaguely) told me and again "later in the year for the interview". The May thing sounds normal

Another interesting thing. She showed me sample of criminal record that I must have and that was an original from a 2008 applicant. It seems that 2008 applications have not yet left immigration

I have a friend who applied in 2008, who was contacted two weeks ago to provide some additional photos.

He has still not had his interview.

Hi Guys!

Well, some news... A friend of mine and me applied 2008 , were accepted and pre-interviewed last mont. I got a letter today, stating I have to be at Chaeng Wattana at this friday at 8.oo h morning for the video interview in the meeting room at the second floor of building B

Anyone been there yet?

My friend, who was at suan plu the same time for the first pre-interview without video did not receive anything yet...

Now: Can anyone help me a little bit-

I am a pretty scared about the interview as my Thai is not so good.....Cannot read or write any Thai a all. ( Officer told me: no problem... ;-)

I read something about a multiple choice test with questions about how many provinces etc... ??? What other questions will be in this interview? Any ideas?

What should I say in the video introduction? I love Thai Culture?

And finally:

They told us, the 2006 guys will be processed now and ready until the end of the this year, but our application will be processed very fast this time....

Lets see what happens !

Good luck to all other applicants. ( btw: I am German No. 3 ...)

Thanks for the progress update, as a 2006, I hope I'll be done by the end of the year!

Firstly the good news, to help you.

As far as I know, unless things have changed very much since 2006, there is no reading or writing involved in the Thai test. I was asked if I could read, and when I said no, the lady read out all of the questions for me to answer (still in Thai, though).

Now for the bad news. According to the earlier posts in this thread, the multiple choice has been replaced by a bit of a chat session. I'm sure it will be very simple, still though. I'd try and remember things about the application process, how much the fee is. when HM the Kings Birthday is etc. etc.

For the video, I just told them what my name and job was, how old, why I wanted to stay in Thailand (not a good idea to mention Soi Cowboy at this point, I'd suggest) and simple stuff like that. My Thai is reasonable, but nowhere near fluent, so I just memorised it.

As everybody says, the Thai part is only a small proportion of the points, so don't get too stressed. As I'm sure you've found out already, they are very very helpful.

Good luck to all you 2008 guys!

In my interview they asked a question about how much income one had to make to qualify for a visa if one was self employed, or how much tax was required to have been paid (or similar) - one of the categories for applying for a permit, but not a category that related to me (and I had no idea). Also about Songhkran, mother's day date, province where the airport is and colours of the flag. Staff were fine; the personal interview was videoed. Other info about charities, the staff at your place of work, etc all help.

good luck

Well, this will be my last contribution to this thread. I received the letter offering PR three weeks ago (2006 applicant - still not sure why I got it before anyone else). However, I am out of the country and it will not be possible for me to return until mid-December.

When told of my plight, the staff at Immigration suggested I write to the Director of Immigration, asking for a deferment of the date until then. This I did, and got a response just today through the office of my former employer in Thailand. To sum it up "if you cannot report in person to Immigration by Friday, the offer will be withdrawn".

To say I am pissed off would be an understatement. I wait almost three years for their decision, and then they won't allow me six extra weeks to deal with it! In all honesty though, I can't say I'm surprised.

All I can console myself with is the fact that the 194,000 baht is still in my pocket and not theirs!!!

Best wishes to all, and I hope you have better luck than I did . . . . . .

Graham

Edited by grtaylor

I received the letter offering PR three weeks ago (2006 applicant - still not sure why I got it before anyone else). However, I am out of the country and it will not be possible for me to return until mid-December.

When told of my plight, the staff at Immigration suggested I write to the Director of Immigration, asking for a deferment of the date until then. This I did, and got a response just today through the office of my former employer in Thailand. To sum it up "if you cannot report in person to Immigration by Friday, the offer will be withdrawn".

I wait almost three years for their decision, and then they won't allow me six extra weeks to deal with it! In all honesty though, I can't say I'm surprised.

Graham

Hi Graham,

With all the political turmoil that has been going on during these years may one would suggest you writing a letter to our, Prime Minister, Abhisit Vejjajiva and explain your plight. :)

Worked before with the little lad going to Japan , so why not try as this will be you last stand.

Yours truly,

Kan Win

I received the letter offering PR three weeks ago (2006 applicant - still not sure why I got it before anyone else). However, I am out of the country and it will not be possible for me to return until mid-December.

I wait almost three years for their decision, and then they won't allow me six extra weeks to deal with it! In all honesty though, I can't say I'm surprised.

Graham

Hi Graham,

With all the political turmoil that has been going on during these years may one would suggest you writing a letter to our, Prime Minister, Abhisit Vejjajiva and explain your plight. :)

Worked before with the little lad going to Japan , so why not try as this will be you last stand.

Yours truly,

Kan Win

I had actually considered that, as I know someone who is a friend of his personal secretary, and I'm fairly sure I could get a letter directly into his hands - maybe I will.

Thanks.

Hi Graham,

I cannot imagine how frustrated (to say the least!) you must be.

The suspense is killing me, even though the light/oncoming train appears to be visable at the end of the tunnel.

I think the letter is a very good idea, especially considering the 3 years we have been waiting is hardly our fault. You would hope that somebody high enough up might have the courage to show some consideration/compassion in this case.

Very good luck, and if you decide on that last throw of the dice, let us know how it works out.

stbkk.

Well, this will be my last contribution to this thread. I received the letter offering PR three weeks ago (2006 applicant - still not sure why I got it before anyone else). However, I am out of the country and it will not be possible for me to return until mid-December.

To say I am pissed off would be an understatement. I wait almost three years for their decision, and then they won't allow me six extra weeks to deal with it! In all honesty though, I can't say I'm surprised.

All I can console myself with is the fact that the 194,000 baht is still in my pocket and not theirs!!!

Graham

I'm sorry to hear of your predicament.However I'm not surprised at the official response to your deferment request.If I understand the situation correctly you are now working overseas and have no valid Thai work permit and appropriate visa.Regardless of the approval letter the fact you have cut the continuous Thai work connection (plus payment of taxes etc etc) and are now working overseas makes your application null and void.

Now in practice this needn't have been a problem because the authorities tend not to take notice of events post dating approval.However unless you have briefed your former employers office very carefully indeed in terms of what to say, your request to defer is actually drawing attention to the breach of the rules and in Thailand that's just not going to work.The letter to Abhisit is a waste of time.Why should he overrule conscientous officials for sticking to the rules? I'm assuming you're not an Old Etonian?

If it was me I would jump on a plane and do what's expected.It's not too late and your employer would probably understand if the importance was explained.Go for it!

Well- done the final video interview test today, nice location, everybody friendly and helpful, abou 10 guys there, arrived 8.00 h, was the first one to enter, 6 very official people behing desc and videocam... Just informal questions, where I come from, kods, work, hobbys, no knowledge questions at all, no Anthem... Just a nice round of smalltalk, to check my ability to undestand and answer. 10 minutes, and out again with a friendly smile. Lets see whats next, keep u guys posted!

Regarding the criminal record check, does this need to be done by yourself before applying or does immigration take your fingerprints after applying?

Also can someone please tell me if you need to apply in Bangkok for PR or in the province where you live?

I downloaded the standard form that the FBI makes available for putting fingerprint on. I then went to any police station and had them do my fingerprints. It was free. No need to do it at immigration.

If your case is clean-cut and there are no special circumstances, and you clearly exceed the minimum requirements then doing it in the provinces is OK. Otherwise do it in Bangkok as they will work with you to overcome any obstacles.

Ok everybody, a non-update.

I went to Chaengwattana yesterday to get my latest 6 month extension.

Found my way around the new place fairly easily, and to section D where these are processed.

Spoke to one of the old regulars from Suan Plu, and when I posed the usual 'when?' question (she must be as sick of hearing it as we are of asking it), she looked at me and simply said with resignation, 'I don't know'.

There you go.

One other comment. There was only this one lady handling all the extensions and applications etc. when I was there (approx 10:30). No idea is this is usual at the new office. But in true 'Thai style' I was allowed (instructed) to interrupt the poor chap who was in the middle of making his application. If he reads this, sorry about that!

The end of December is usually the deadline, not sure of the exact date.

You can start pretty much anytime now. When I applied in 2006, I first went in around the end of August to ask a couple of questions, and they encouraged me to bring in the documents as soon as I thought I had them ready.

I'd get your application in as soon as possible. You will almost certainly have to make several visits to get all of the paperwork in order, but when I applied there was no pressure to get all of it 100% correct by the end of December. As long as you have your application in and the stamp in your passport, they seem to be quite happy for you to be 'filling in the gaps' after then.

As I mentioned above, when I was getting my latest extension earlier in the week there was somebody in there working on his application.

Good luck.