SRT board agrees on 700,000 compensation for funeral of murder victim

Lite Beer

SRT board agrees on 700,000 compensation for funeral of rape victim

7-10-2014-11-21-28-AM1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand board has decided to pay the family of the 13-year old rape and murder victim 700,000 baht in compensation for funeral costs, board chairman Omsin Chivapruek said Sunday.

The victim was raped and killed by an SRT staff while travelling on a Bangkok-bound sleeper train and her body was thrown out of the running train. The suspected rapist-murderer, identified as Wanchai Saengkhao, was arrested.

He said the board had instructed the management to speed up restoring public confidence in the train services through the implementation of several measures, among them the recruitment of staff members and employees which must strictly adhere to the rules, transparent and fair and the introduction of lady carriages staring August 1.

Applicants for jobs at the SRT must not have criminal records, must not be addicted to drugs and must not used to be imprisoned, he said.

The lady car female-only service is to be first introduced in first-class sleeper train on southern, northern and northeastern routes on August 1.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/srt-board-agrees-700000-compensation-funeral-rape-victim/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=srt-board-agrees-700000-compensation-funeral-rape-victim

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-27

Wouldn't refusing people with criminal records be discriminatory?

All very distatesful plastering figures around like this. And in reality a very paltry sum

Many jobs I apply for stipulate a police clearance , depending on your history it can limit what you do. Thieves are unlikely to be employed by a gold mining company. In Australia it is not discriminatory to request your history.

All very distatesful plastering figures around like this. And in reality a very paltry sum

Yes it is discriminatory, no there is no problem with it. Some discrimination is acceptable, or even at times desirable, e.g. not allowing child sex offenders to land jobs taking care of children.

Yes it is discriminatory, no there is no problem with it. Some discrimination is acceptable, or even at times desirable, e.g. not allowing child sex offenders to land jobs taking care of children.

I believe they do this in the UK, they took it to the extreme of course and nobody with any kind of criminal conviction can work with children, I believe this is something like 30% of men under the age of 30, of course most of those offences will be minor offences or misdemeanours but they still count and are with them for life. I've read of cases where established teachers have been refused work when changing jobs due to policies like this and minor convictions for being drunk during their student days 20 or 30 years previously. Some driving offences are included in this too.

Well that's exactly my point. Is it acceptable for a govt entity to blanket ban anyone with a criminal record?

I doubt it

What a thoroughly disgusting article........A discusting revelation of Thai state enterprises...A discusting thought process given to murdered people...

Sometimes I'm totally discusted to live in Thailand........more than often nowadays, I am thinking of greener pastures..............sometimes Thailand sickens me.........:(((

So the State Railroad of Thailand only deem it necessary to compensate the victims family for funeral costs?

What about the rest of it?

My thoughts exactly. Funeral costs only?

Otherwise, it's not much for a life.

The amount of compensation should 'hurt' the company in such a way that they are forced to make sure that something like this never ever happens again.

Unfortunately that doesn't apply in the Western world either.

The amount of compensation should 'hurt' the company in such a way that they are forced to make sure that something like this never ever happens again.

Unfortunately that doesn't apply in the Western world either.

True, it should do though.

I've noticed over the years that families will often get a small amount of compensation for some accident / incident then the government will levy a hefty fine against the company involved, often this fine is much more than any compensation and the victim gets none of it.

Edited by ukrules

700.00 THB..... Is this is what state railway board officials think a 13 years old life is worth......., after being raped and killed out of their train, by one of their employees, that had been hired by corrupt family. Shema on those decision makers and giving yet again a signal of now knowing, not caring and being not good representatives of Thai Society!!

Well that's exactly my point. Is it acceptable for a govt entity to blanket ban anyone with a criminal record?

I doubt it

That would depend on the laws regarding employment and discrimination in that particular country. Not the same in every country at all.