Tourist visa - confusion. Can someone explain?

I am confused with regard to the Tourist Visa. Can someone clarify for me please?

I am a UK citizen under 50.

I can still apply to Hull Consulate for a triple entry tourist visa yes/no?

You can no longer, or very soon you will no longer be able to get back-to-back tourist visas at countries bordering Thailand yes/no?

Is the triple entry visa not basically a back-to-back visa?

Is it now you can only purchase a tourist visa from your country of origin?

What is the difference between people doing a border run to obtain a new tourist visa and having a multiple entry from your own embassy/consulate?

If I obtain a triple entry from the UK now, arrive in Thailand, use up my first entry, can I go out and come straight back in?

Can/may/will they refuse me entry?

I have already paid for the visa in the UK

You replies would be much appreciated

"Is the triple entry visa not basically a back-to-back visa?"

No, it is one visa that allows three entries.

"Is it now you can only purchase a tourist visa from your country of origin?"

No.

"What is the difference between people doing a border run to obtain a new tourist visa and having a multiple entry from your own embassy/consulate?"

Border run vs visa run.

To get a new visa you have to get it from a consulate.

To use a 2nd or 3rd entry, you just have to cross the border and return.

• Like 2

I think that the answers given provide sound advice.

It is not the genuine tourist they are aiming to catch - it is those who abuse the system and clearly are trying to stay in Thailand for as long as possible, using whatever method they can to avoid having the correct documentation. I have a mass of entry stamps on my passport including one recent border run, caused only by the ramifications of the Curfew, but I have not encountered any problems at Immigration. I come in and out of LOS a great number of times each year, but do not abuse the system.

What I am not sure about, is the new extension which may be possible when already in the country, to extend the visa exempt 30 days by a further 30 days for 1,900 baht? Is there any disadvantage doing this even if permitted, or is it still better to obtain a Visa in one's home country?

If you plan on staying longer than 30 days you should always get a tourist visa in your home country before traveling.

The new 30 day extension that will be possible on August 29th for visa exempt entries is only meant to be for those that have a change of plans that requires a longer stay,

Hello Ross

I am currently on a triple entry visa from the UK.

I recently did quite a long post on another thread about triple entries, which you may find of interest. It includes an explanation of how to extend the entries at Immigration and what happens on a border run. If you would like to read it then click HERE and go to post #10.

I hope that you find it helpful. Like you I was a bit confused at the beginning, but it does all make sense ... eventually! ?

Have a great time in Thailand ?

Edited to add 2 or 3 sentences for clarity.

Edited by silver sea

Hello Ross

I recently did quite a long post on another thread about triple entries, which you may find of interest. It includes an explanation of how to extend the entries at Immigration and what happens on a border run. If you would like to read it then click HERE and go to post #10.

I hope that you find it helpful. Like you I was a bit confused at the beginning, but it does all make sense ... eventually! ?

I dont think that one would be able to get 9 month visa out of a triple entry tourist visa after the 12th of august. Never. I have a triple entry tourist visa issued in germany and I fear that I will be even denied the 2nd entry without being a few days out of country (and I have zero history of border running / whatever, a passport full of proof that I am a tourist of the world). I think I have max 8 weeks ( the 60 days initial), probably 12 if I want, but max 16 weeks! I dont think more is really possible right now. But we will see the reports after 12 of august.

I dont think that one would be able to get 9 month visa out of a triple entry tourist visa after the 12th of august. Never. I have a triple entry tourist visa issued in germany and I fear that I will be even denied the 2nd entry without being a few days out of country (and I have zero history of border running / whatever, a passport full of proof that I am a tourist of the world). I think I have max 8 weeks ( the 60 days initial), probably 12 if I want, but max 16 weeks! I dont think more is really possible right now. But we will see the reports after 12 of august.

You fear for nothing. You will see.

Though I have never personally done a border run of any description and have some 90+ entries into the LOS. I find the use here and elsewhere of the word ABUSE rather strange referring to those who do/did.

Were they not simply utilising the then quite correct and accepted system? Who persistently stamped them in to Thailand pursuant to all this supposed 'abuse' the tooth fairy? This volte-face by the latest cadre of knee-jerkers at the helm cannot surely infer retrospective blame for doing what was previously wholly acceptable.

This is akin to say your bank holding a promotion that if you deposit 500K THB they'll give you a 500 THB bonus, a canny customer who then deposits & withdraws the same 500K ad nauseam to harvest all those bonuses cannot then subsequently be labelled a bank robber for simply utilising a set of (however ill conceived) legitimate circumstances.

Depends on your point of view. It was a then an Incorrect and accepted system. When you got a 30 day exempt or Tourist Visa, you were basically declaring to an immigration officer that you were in Thailand as a tourist, not living here.

I view it more like a tax loophole. People didn't ABUSE tax loopholes, they just USED them.

But governments close tax loopholes all they time when they discover the problems. The people living here as "tourists" loophole is being closed by what you call the "cadre of knee-jerkers at the helm." They are trying to clean aspects of Thailand up and closing the loopholes is on their list.

Like yourself (except for those working here illegally) I don't view border runners and back to backers as abusing the system, just misusing it, which they can't do anymore.

Though I have never personally done a border run of any description and have some 90+ entries into the LOS. I find the use here and elsewhere of the word ABUSE rather strange referring to those who do/did.

Were they not simply utilising the then quite correct and accepted system? Who persistently stamped them in to Thailand pursuant to all this supposed 'abuse' the tooth fairy? This volte-face by the latest cadre of knee-jerkers at the helm cannot surely infer retrospective blame for doing what was previously wholly acceptable.

This is akin to say your bank holding a promotion that if you deposit 500K THB they'll give you a 500 THB bonus, a canny customer who then deposits & withdraws the same 500K ad nauseam to harvest all those bonuses cannot then subsequently be labelled a bank robber for simply utilising a set of (however ill conceived) legitimate circumstances.

Depends on your point of view. It was a then an Incorrect and accepted system. When you got a 30 day exempt or Tourist Visa, you were basically declaring to an immigration officer that you were in Thailand as a tourist, not living here.

I view it more like a tax loophole. People didn't ABUSE tax loopholes, they just USED them.

But governments close tax loopholes all they time when they discover the problems. The people living here as "tourists" loophole is being closed by what you call the "cadre of knee-jerkers at the helm." They are trying to clean aspects of Thailand up and closing the loopholes is on their list.

Like yourself (except for those working here illegally) I don't view border runners and back to backers as abusing the system, just misusing it, which they can't do anymore.

When you got a 30 day exempt ... you were basically declaring to an immigration officer that you were in Thailand as a tourist, not living here.

You were not 'declaring' anything.. You were rocking up, handing your passport over, and being given what the immigration officer wished to give you.

Hello Ross

You have nothing to worry about concerning August 12th. The authorities are targeting those who have been working here illegally, and have been misusing the 30 day visa exempt stamp by doing back-to-back border runs.

You say that you have "zero history of border running". You are clearly a tourist; you do not fit the profile of the people that they are targeting. So stop worrying and enjoy Thailand. It's great here!

Back in England, we call August 12th "THE GLORIOUS TWEFTH", because it is the start of the grouse shooting season. I think you'll find here in Thailand that it's turkeys not grouse that will get the bullet.

When you got a 30 day exempt ... you were basically declaring to an immigration officer that you were in Thailand as a tourist, not living here.

You were not 'declaring' anything.. You were rocking up, handing your passport over, and being given what the immigration officer wished to give you.

How would you interpret "tourist, permission to stay 30 days"?

OK, I can rent a house and live here forever?

Hello Ross

You have nothing to worry about concerning August 12th. The authorities are targeting those who have been working here illegally, and have been misusing the 30 day visa exempt stamp by doing back-to-back border runs.

You say that you have "zero history of border running". You are clearly a tourist; you do not fit the profile of the people that they are targeting. So stop worrying and enjoy Thailand. It's great here!

Back in England, we call August 12th "THE GLORIOUS TWEFTH", because it is the start of the grouse shooting season. I think you'll find here in Thailand that it's turkeys not grouse that will get the bullet.

But there will still be a lot of "grousing" whistling.gif

OK, I can rent a house and live here forever?

Yes. But you will have little rights.

If that is how you interpret " tourist", good luck with it now. Even on long term stay visas, there aren't many rights. lol.

Duane - how to do define 'tourism' and 'living here'? The first time I came to Thailand, I was a tourist for 2 years, doing visa runs all this time. I had lots of money with me, I was travelling the country, partying, observing the culture, etc. Isn't that tourism? Why can't you be a tourist for more than 30 days (referring to your talk about the exempt stamp, here)? Why not be a tourist for 3 months? 6 months? 12 months? Or 22 months as I did?

I go in to Thailand on a 30 days exempt stamp. Then I think, "oh, nice country, I have enough money to stay here a lot longer, so I choose to be a tourist for 30 days more". In this way, it continues for 22 months, in my case. What is wrong with that?

In my opinion, the use I did of the 30 day exempt stamp was not an abuse at all.

Also, I would like to tell those who always say "go get a proper visa now" - referring to their understanding of the 'abuse' of the exmept stamp - that what kind of visa would then be 'proper' for, say, a writer? Or someone who has millions of baht on his bank account (as I had) and just wants a long holiday, or him, who is running his own company in Europe from Thailand, or him, who...etc.?

Now, the Thai immigration, if they will allow those above mentioned to stay here, have to invent lots of different visas for different kind of tourists or resident and everything inbetween.

This is just how I see it. Feel free to comment, please.

Last, I would like to say, that if we are so many, that come here to pour out our money, living a legal life here, thus help making the Thai economy stronger than it already is - then why not let us in? In Denmark, my country, it is a fact, that people from Asia cost our society lots of money due to abuse of our social security systems, so that is an argument to not let any Asian person in just like that. But many, many tourists staying here in Thailand on 30 days exempt stamps are not a burden to the Thai society in any way - so why close the borders for us?

At the moment I am enrolled in the university of my own country, getting grand and student loan, together close to 50,000 baht/m. I am spending these money here in Thailand = good for the Thai economy. What would be the 'proper' visa for me?

I hope, and I think, Thailand will open up again for people like me, people who can show, that they will not be a burden for the society, by showing income, assets, etc.

OumarhindaOunsingha, on 29 Jul 2014 - 07:34, said:
duanebigsby, on 28 Jul 2014 - 17:45, said:
Regyai, on 28 Jul 2014 - 07:39, said:

Duane - how to do define 'tourism' and 'living here'? The first time I came to Thailand, I was a tourist for 2 years, doing visa runs all this time. I had lots of money with me, I was travelling the country, partying, observing the culture, etc. Isn't that tourism? Why can't you be a tourist for more than 30 days (referring to your talk about the exempt stamp, here)? Why not be a tourist for 3 months? 6 months? 12 months? Or 22 months as I did?

I go in to Thailand on a 30 days exempt stamp. Then I think, "oh, nice country, I have enough money to stay here a lot longer, so I choose to be a tourist for 30 days more". In this way, it continues for 22 months, in my case. What is wrong with that?

In my opinion, the use I did of the 30 day exempt stamp was not an abuse at all.

Also, I would like to tell those who always say "go get a proper visa now" - referring to their understanding of the 'abuse' of the exmept stamp - that what kind of visa would then be 'proper' for, say, a writer? Or someone who has millions of baht on his bank account (as I had) and just wants a long holiday, or him, who is running his own company in Europe from Thailand, or him, who...etc.?

Now, the Thai immigration, if they will allow those above mentioned to stay here, have to invent lots of different visas for different kind of tourists or resident and everything inbetween.

This is just how I see it. Feel free to comment, please.

Last, I would like to say, that if we are so many, that come here to pour out our money, living a legal life here, thus help making the Thai economy stronger than it already is - then why not let us in? In Denmark, my country, it is a fact, that people from Asia cost our society lots of money due to abuse of our social security systems, so that is an argument to not let any Asian person in just like that. But many, many tourists staying here in Thailand on 30 days exempt stamps are not a burden to the Thai society in any way - so why close the borders for us?

At the moment I am enrolled in the university of my own country, getting grand and student loan, together close to 50,000 baht/m. I am spending these money here in Thailand = good for the Thai economy. What would be the 'proper' visa for me?

I hope, and I think, Thailand will open up again for people like me, people who can show, that they will not be a burden for the society, by showing income, assets, etc.

Isn't that double standards?

You don't abuse an Asian Immigration system, you just use it to your advantage, but Asians abuse your Social Security system.

I would say they just use it!

It's not the fault of any individual to use any system that allows itself to be used.

I'm sure Denmark will close it's loopholes, don't blame Thailand for doing the same.