New Expat diagnosed with Bronchitis... Your expertise?

musicindustry

Hi new expat from America living in Bangkok. I have been here for only about a week and having a nice time. I recently was diagnosed with "Acute Bronchitis" and want to know what you think.

I have shortness of breath and congestion with a small cough and very light weezing. The doc prescribed: Augmentin (Antibiotic), Bisolvon **G** (Mucolytic), Zyrtec (Antihistamine) and something in case I get a fever. The doc just gave ran an EGK and listened to my heart and gave me these meds and sent me off.

I think I got it from the combination of the pollution outside, sprays I used in an old room to kill the bugs, and smoking (Stopped smoking).

Feeling lightheaded and drowsy with some anxiety.

Any thoughts if this can be anything more serious? Or if you feel this is common then what precautions should I take while here. (Will be here for two months)

Thanks in advance.

It would help the forum to help you if you would elaborate on where your doctor was employed.

Healthcare in Thailand is generally of good quality. You should follow up with your doctor if your condition changes. If your condition changes you should follow up very quickly. Don't wait, go back quickly.

Healthcare in Thailand is generally very good, however there are a few quacks, that why I inquired about your doctor's place of employment.

Bronchitis should be normally, if you are young, better in a few days...some cough may remain but general feeling should be better very fast.

It could be that you are also allergic to something, if the room is old. I was diagnosed with allergic to cockroaches, house dust (I guess they mean the mite), and I am sure to be allergic to rats, mice etc.. Such things can be on top of a bronchitis. Dirty fans and worse dirty aircons can also make you sick.

96tehtarp: "Healthcare in Thailand is generally very good" Very good for a developing country.....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It would help the forum to help you if you would elaborate on where your doctor was employed.

Healthcare in Thailand is generally of good quality. You should follow up with your doctor if your condition changes. If your condition changes you should follow up very quickly. Don't wait, go back quickly.

Healthcare in Thailand is generally very good, however there are a few quacks, that why I inquired about your doctor's place of employment.

It was at the PhoLo Hospital. What kind of condition change should I be looking for?

Bronchitis should be normally, if you are young, better in a few days...some cough may remain but general feeling should be better very fast.

It could be that you are also allergic to something, if the room is old. I was diagnosed with allergic to cockroaches, house dust (I guess they mean the mite), and I am sure to be allergic to rats, mice etc.. Such things can be on top of a bronchitis. Dirty fans and worse dirty aircons can also make you sick.

96tehtarp: "Healthcare in Thailand is generally very good" Very good for a developing country.....

Ah possibly. There are lots of things here that are not in the United States.. I'm allergic to dust I think as well.

Bronchitis covers a wide range of conditions.

Thai doctors love prescribing antibiotics and other pills and potions, but particularly antibiotics.

Yea I see lol

I've had bacterial and viral bronchitis more than 10 times here in Thailand. It has lasted from 1 week to 6 weeks. A combination of antibiotics, antihistamine and an inhaler usually does the trick. No great drama. I don't know 1 person that has been here longer than 6 months that has not had it at least once. It doesn't help if you drink, smoke and misbehave.

I've had bacterial and viral bronchitis more than 10 times here in Thailand. It has lasted from 1 week to 6 weeks. A combination of antibiotics, antihistamine and an inhaler usually does the trick. No great drama. I don't know 1 person that has been here longer than 6 months that has not had it at least once. It doesn't help if you drink, smoke and misbehave.

Wow. How long have you been here? And yea I just don't have the inhaler lol. I'm not doing anything bad. Do you think I will be ok?

Maybe a good candidate for chest infections, I certainly am. Yes all of the above medications,but do an overkill and get on amoxillian,its cheap,stops it developing into pneumonia

So amoxillian is the best one I see? Can bronchitis develop into something worse or will it just be like a cold if i take care of myself and treat it properly?

Wow. How long have you been here? And yea I just don't have the inhaler lol. I'm not doing anything bad. Do you think I will be ok?

20 years. Most of them were in the first 10

• Like 1

"Ah possibly. There are lots of things here that are not in the United States.. I'm allergic to dust I think as well."

I don't feel any allergic when I normal in the room.

But it gets pretty bad when the fan is blowing at me, even at low setting from far away. I need a while to figure that out. Reason: The rotor is total dirty with dust and blowing the dust direct into my face.

Less but still a little bit from dirty air condition.

Of course that isn't a bronchitis.....but it can be additional, or preventing the bronchitis from getting better.

Best to finish the current course of treatment and do a follow up if symptoms persist. If they do, an "atypical pneumonia" needs to be excluded which may require extended treatment.

Best to finish the current course of treatment and do a follow up if symptoms persist. If they do, an "atypical pneumonia" needs to be excluded which may require extended treatment.

Then you will be into the big money,in the region of $2000 a night in a cheaper Pattaya hospital. ( I had it) ...but at that loose estimate I took a cheap flight to India ,about $120 return and got the pneumonia treated for about $50 a night,took 3 days ,then bed rest

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Weird that I got mine the first week here.

"Ah possibly. There are lots of things here that are not in the United States.. I'm allergic to dust I think as well."

But it gets pretty bad when the fan is blowing at me, even at low setting from far away. I need a while to figure that out. Reason: The rotor is total dirty with dust and blowing the dust direct into my face.

Of course that isn't a bronchitis.....but it can be additional, or preventing the bronchitis from getting better.

Yea I'll have to relocate the get away from the dust.

Ill finish the course and then go back. I'm just nervous about the fatigue/confusion hoping its not something more than bronchitis that can kill me.

Ill finish the course and then go back. I'm just nervous about the fatigue/confusion hoping its not something more than bronchitis that can kill me.

You will be finding out if it is more serious when you lie down and start gasping for air. Basically I do not think the GPs here have a clue,"yes, you have fever" shot or two up the ass,keep it going for far too long,weight takes a tumble,feel like shit ,but increasing ,until you feel like death.

Just got over a dose that could have gotten a lot worse by taking Amoxillian,still clearing my chest by coughing,but getting better

You will be finding out if it is more serious when you lie down and start gasping for air. Basically I do not think the GPs here have a clue,"yes, you have fever" shot or two up the ass,keep it going for far too long,weight takes a tumble,feel like shit ,but increasing ,until you feel like death.

Just got over a dose that could have gotten a lot worse by taking Amoxillian,still clearing my chest by coughing,but getting better

I don't gasp for air when I lie down. I sleep well, just very tired when I wake up even after 10 hours of sleep

I don't gasp for air when I lie down. I sleep well, just very tired when I wake up even after 10 hours of sleep

yet

just take a clean nice hotel-room for 2 days and have a look if you feel any different

It's more likely to be viral. Often viral and bacterial are indistinguishable in the early phase. In the absence of throat/sputum culture doctors tend to treat bacterial (antibiotics do not treat virus)- Treat clinically. Patients are often started on AB even pending lab results, then perhaps AB Rx modified if necessary. It's important to move lung tidal volume- keep air moving even though the bronchus/bronchioles irritated. Sometimes dialators required (inhaler) or if thick mucus guaifenesin to break up mucus and expel. Note: if taking guaifenesin be sure to drink plenty of fluids as guaifenesin pulls fluid from body to act on mucus.

Bacterial infections are not uncommon following viral infection; weakens... Opportunity. Otherwise, based on your comments, you sound properly managed. Good luck.

Edit: it's super important to move lung volume. Hard to get little plastic incentive spirometers over here so try these exercises: deep breath, exhale through pursed lips (back pressure) and empty lungs. Do few times, variously through the day. If light headed, stop!

Edited by arjunadawn