Is it better to change THB to GBP in UK or Thailand?

Yet again I misread the earlier post and assume the asda buying rate of thai baht was 61 not 41? sorry. Btw, this same question on another forum produced this link https://www.comparecurrency.com/money-transfer/ or this when u click on quote https://www.currenciesdirect.com/en/uk?Ref=2674 which may be of interest as it seems you can wire the baht to England with v little difference in the exchange rate & without any fee?? (as opposed to the big banks who charge big money!)

Is there a catch here? maybe the receiving bank charges?

I've not seen those two sites before but TORfx looks very interesting. The big banks must be feeling the heat from the competition is my guess, HSBC has recently reduced its charge for forex transfers from £19 to £4, their exchange rates however are still not anywhere as good as TORfx or the Asian banks, I'll be keen to hear if anyone has any experience of those two companies - thanks to rayinkrabi for posting the details..

EDIT: some info here, mostly shady history stuff but TORfx looks like it came out OK. seems they don't carry currency hence no overheads, they spot buy as needed.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/dec/11/buying-foreign-currency

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

I never really noticed how dumb people on here are until I read this thread, please read the OP before answering!

Hey Jackie, we're simply chatting and sharing opinions etc....whats the problem? and yes, the OP has asked what is the best way to change thai baht back to UK pounds..?? seems post No3 & 4 answered it quite well in fact??

Edited by rayinkrabi

Quick update after lots more research, the receiving banks charges vary from small to a lot! and the best deal I could come up with before I got bored was the halifax charge of 7 pounds for a transfer over 100 pounds using currencies direct who would buy the baht at about 54.34. I was a bit confused here as I thought it would be the halifax who converted the cash to pounds once it arrived?

My conclusion is that Super rich are still cheaper at 54.1 for fivers or 54.3 for buying 50's and you avoid the hassle of opening the transfer account and paying the 7 pound fee BUT you have the hassle of going to Super Rich and sweating it out on the flight with all that dosh (?) so it all depends on how much, how regularly, etc.

Or am I being dumb again? I know there are many experts out there that know a lot more about this than I do so please share. Ok, back to my morning coffee.

• 7 months later...

I'm going back to the UK on Monday & need to change 50,000 THB to GBP. Super Rich looks like the best bet at 49.2 (worst is SCB at 50.2) but only the Ratchadamri & Silom branches sell foreign currency. The Silom branch is closed on Sundays, which is when I'd prefer to go, so I'm thinking is it worth the hassle of going all the way to the Ratchadamri to save 1000B?

Do the regular exchanges at the airport even sell foreign currencies?

• 3 years later...