Thais advised to learn more about Asean countries

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they could start with Asean but a bit more world knowledge would not harm either. Thais do seem to be a bit "flat earth" and "there is nothing out there past our borders" approach in this respect. It needs to be fitted into the education system somehow with teachers who WANT to tell of the rest of the world in a way that makes the students want to know more. With the Thai interest in the English Premier League that would seem to be an easy place to start with just where are Liverpool, Manchester, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham?

On the other hand perhaps its best to let things be as they always have been, mostly the great uneducated, easier to control, but I think the General might have other ideas and that might be a move forward.

tongue.png ... so you're saying that Thais should learn more about England for a start, huh ? I wonder where you're from ...whistling.gif

Seriously, your idea of using the popularity of football sounds like a very good one, but hello, Liverpool, Manchester etc are not exactly the center of the world either (not any more, at least...).

Edited by Yann55

Well they could start with Asean but a bit more world knowledge would not harm either. Thais do seem to be a bit "flat earth" and "there is nothing out there past our borders" approach in this respect. It needs to be fitted into the education system somehow with teachers who WANT to tell of the rest of the world in a way that makes the students want to know more. With the Thai interest in the English Premier League that would seem to be an easy place to start with just where are Liverpool, Manchester, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham?

On the other hand perhaps its best to let things be as they always have been, mostly the great uneducated, easier to control, but I think the General might have other ideas and that might be a move forward.

tongue.png ... so you're saying that Thais should learn more about England for a start, huh ? I wonder where you're from ...whistling.gif

Seriously, your idea of using the popularity of football sounds like a very good one, but hello, Liverpool, Manchester etc are not exactly the center of the world either (not any more, at least...).

Obviously anti Brit' then ? What's wrong with starting anywhere outside of Thailand ? Still; presume you must be a Barcelona or New York Cosmo's supporter so much better to start in those places eh ?

Obviously anti Brit' then ? What's wrong with starting anywhere outside of Thailand ? Still; presume you must be a Barcelona or New York Cosmo's supporter so much better to start in those places eh ?

LOL, that didn't take long... So... I'm 'anti Brit' because I dare suggest that Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester are not the center(s) of the world, lol...

OK, OK, peace, they must be the other center(s) of the world, then, Thailand being naturally the first. Feel better now ? Ready for your first pint of the day ?

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

LOL, that didn't take long... So... I'm 'anti Brit' because I say that Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester are not the center of the world, lol...

OK, OK, they must be the other center(s) of the world, then, Thailand being naturally the first. Feel better now ? Ready for your first pint of the day ?

google centre of the world and see the result..

Its the education system.... yes, thats right. But still most of the time the kids spend home and imo thats the place where they should get the know-how and attitude from. But unfortunatetly there is just 24h tv, superficial gossip about the upper 10thousand and again, more tv! So how this fit into ASEAN? Maybe they can shoot a Thai soap about ASEAN where they intro and present all their neighbours in a good light? That would be a good start as you could be sure to get their attention?!

Ps: but atm they prefer rather Paris than Mandalay!

Best to start simply by getting them to know where Thailand is first.

Very few could point Thailand out on a blank map, try it for yourselves.

Once they know where they are and have some idea of its size....

...then other countries can be introduced one by one, until all ASEAN members are covered.

Might take a while

I agree partly with you. Of course, it's part of a basic knowledge. As usual in Thailand, it's a problem of education and wisdom and money. Understanding the neighbours is more than knowledge about geography.

To understand neighbours you also need some knowledge about their culture, history, economy, leaving aside the fact to be informed about these sectors of your own country. And of course, you learn the most about your neighbours if you are (financially) able to go, work or to stay there.

I read here so many arrogant posts. Everybody should remember that all countries have a special percentage of people who are not able to get a place in Harvard, Cambridge or Sorbonne.

That said, for instance I wouldn't recommend a certain Mrs. Palin of Al.... (seeing Russia) for a teacher's job in Thailand. And believe me not all Thais are stupid. In our remote village there is a disabled Lizhu lady who has got a foreign education here in Thailand. I'm sure she would beat a lot of TV members, concerning their knowledge.

To the money aspect of the problem. If they have to work 6 or 7 days a week to earn their living then the Thais are happy to do their homework and take care for the children or family. There is no time for learning about the neighbours. A soft way to learn about the countries in the Thai neighbourhood would be regular unbiased reports in TV.

• Like 2

To Yann 55, you have to start somewhere and football seems very popular here so start where there is an interest, from there you spread out.

I listen most mornings to BBC radio 5 at 1100 "World reports" followed by "wake up to money" a good hour of whats going around the world.

When I watch Thai tv its full of local interest like attempted rape, police catch man with lots of Yabba, attempted robbery etc. A little Asean content and very little from over the horizon ( where do all those planes go to and come from?). So maybe a place to start, to light the candle would be on the local media stations ( by local I mean Thai TV stations). This might of course not be easy for the stations in a bid to educate the masses with information new. I think the General knows this needs to happen but not currently top of the agenda.

I am happy for the locals also to learn about Britain's old colonies as well but we must start slowly so not to overload.

Isn't it for all others to understand LoS and Thainess ?

The AEC could come as a major shock and I can't see Thailand being ready to accept what's needed.

Oh, I believe they already do coffee1.gif

I'm farang and would also like to learn more about ASEAN, but that doesn't seem possible. They have a web site, but that is useless. I emailed them with my questions, but have not had a reply in about 2 weeks.

For example:

1. Will Cambodians be able to come into the contry legally to work when ASEAN applies?

2. Will we be able to drive a car over the borders into ASEAN countries?

3. Will the buses be able to drive from Bangkok directly to locations in ASEAN counties (like Sieam Reap) without having to change vehicles? (Of course after doing immigration and customs control.)

4. Will it be like the EU where one can go into one country and then travel around in any ASEAN countries seamlessly?

5. All you ever read about is how Thais generally don't speak as good English as peoples of other ASEAN countries. That seems to be the main topic about ASEAN. Can we move beyond that? What other implications are there?

• Like 1

He will have a hard time teaching them without a Facebook app. Thais are not interested in anything but themselves. i live here since 8 Years and i cant imagine what mayhem there will be with ASEAN, i personally like the idea that other Asian nationalities will be able to work here and come here without much of a hassle. Thais will have to adapt.

...then other countries can be introduced one by one, until all ASEAN members are covered.

Might take a while

I agree partly with you. Of course, it's part of a basic knowledge. As usual in Thailand, it's a problem of education and wisdom and money. Understanding the neighbours is more than knowledge about geography.

To understand neighbours you also need some knowledge about their culture, history, economy, leaving aside the fact to be informed about these sectors of your own country. And of course, you learn the most about your neighbours if you are (financially) able to go, work or to stay there.

I read here so many arrogant posts. Everybody should remember that all countries have a special percentage of people who are not able to get a place in Harvard, Cambridge or Sorbonne.

That said, for instance I wouldn't recommend a certain Mrs. Palin of Al.... (seeing Russia) for a teacher's job in Thailand. And believe me not all Thais are stupid. In our remote village there is a disabled Lizhu lady who has got a foreign education here in Thailand. I'm sure she would beat a lot of TV members, concerning their knowledge.

To the money aspect of the problem. If they have to work 6 or 7 days a week to earn their living then the Thais are happy to do their homework and take care for the children or family. There is no time for learning about the neighbours. A soft way to learn about the countries in the Thai neighbourhood would be regular unbiased reports in TV.

Agree with all these posts that talk aboout the need to change the mindset of Thais. Education as well as TV could be key. I was shocked to knowe that my stepdaughter who just graduated from high school did not know the basic onformation about Malaysia f.inst. So, it is not only about teachers, it's about the school books! Much of what is taught about Thai culture could be reduced to make room for basic - and interestingly presented - information about its noe ASEAN neighbours. But his would be a central eduction policy change, a long roads to travel. But worth starting.

To all the people here who make endless nasty comments about Thais' alleged lack of intelligence, or initiative, or desire to work, i would like to quote a French writer whose name was André Gide. In 1925 he visited the Congo which was then a French colony and was appalled by the way locals were treated. He then wrote a book which was published in 1927, called "Voyage au Congo", of which the most famous quote is :

"Moins le blanc est intelligent, plus le noir lui paraît bête"

which translates thus : the more unintelligent the white man is, and the more he claims that black men are dumb.

The attitude is an expat thing, obviously not limited to Africa, and not recent

Edited by Eurojomtien
  • Like 1

I can't remember ever seeing a Thai read a book.

Said this about 1 year ago only to be labeled a Thai basher.

If you look around carefully the impression is Thai babies are born with an iPhone in one hand and a Samsung notebook in another.

Also Thais English is inferior to all future Asean countries (on average).

Add to this rampant corruption, incompetence and inefficiency of the numerous class of administrators and you get a recipe for absorbtion of Thailand by China.

Or, didn't it already happen?

Not my concern anyway.

To all the hopeful well wishing supporters keeping their fingers crossed: "How long you think it takes to change the mindset of a Proud, Nationalistic Nation of 76 Million ?"

Edited by ABCer

To Yann 55, you have to start somewhere and football seems very popular here so start where there is an interest, from there you spread out.

I listen most mornings to BBC radio 5 at 1100 "World reports" followed by "wake up to money" a good hour of whats going around the world.

When I watch Thai tv its full of local interest like attempted rape, police catch man with lots of Yabba, attempted robbery etc. A little Asean content and very little from over the horizon ( where do all those planes go to and come from?). So maybe a place to start, to light the candle would be on the local media stations ( by local I mean Thai TV stations). This might of course not be easy for the stations in a bid to educate the masses with information new. I think the General knows this needs to happen but not currently top of the agenda.

I am happy for the locals also to learn about Britain's old colonies as well but we must start slowly so not to overload.

Dear 'nong38', I'm not in the habit of arguing endlessly here. I try to make a point and if people disagree with what I say, I agree with the fact that they disagree but do not quibble back and forth.

I said clearly in my first reply to you that I thought your idea of using football was good. I'll correct that : it's actually brilliant, and you are totally right on this.

Where I had to smile was when you suggested that this field of study be focused on a number of England cities to begin with, because England may be (is) a very interesting country with a fascinating past and a host of treasures that beg to be discovered by other citizens of the world, but notwithstanding, I believe that the priority for Thai people is more towards Asia, for a start.

China, first and foremost, Indonesia of course, and India, to name but 3 countries which have already begun to shape not only Asia, but the world's future. We all know that colonies are a thing of the past, so is the British Empire, and I get it that there is a certain nostalgia but it concerns British people, not Thais.

• Like 1

According to the Labour Ministry, there are over 1.3 million legal workers from neighbouring countries currently working in Thailand - 82 percent from Myanmar, 9.5 percent from Cambodia and 8.4 percent from Laos.

However, activists say more than two million Burmese workers are working in Thailand - mainly in low paying jobs in the construction, fishing and service industries.

Lately I see more and more Cambodians around. I think the Thai people know about the neighboring countries. Laos was the idea of a French guy and not a country before 1946. The Thais occupied Luang Prabang (Laos) after the Franco Thai war. They had to give it back to the French after WWII.

When I first arrived in Thailand the Vietnamese were raiding and killing Thais. Then of course there was the Cambodian genocide and the Khmer Rouge. A lot of Thais got killed by Cambodians when my wife was a child. There is of course the story Thai chronicles tell of King Lovek, who had raided and evacuated villagers in the Siamese eastern border while King Narasuen was occupied by war with Burma. King Narasuen decided to take revenge on Cambodia. The Thai chronicles depicted a dramatic execution of Phraya Lovek. The Thai king mercilessly beheaded the Cambodian king and washed his feet with the latter’s blood. It's the foot and blood thing much loss of face/foot there.

But you guys probably know about all that stuff from your South East Asia education courses, right?

• Like 1

I don't think Thais are dumb, at least not until they go to school. Methods and content seem to almost guarantee a lack of interest in learning. I would like them just to start with most simple geography. And perhaps find out USA is not part of Europe. To dream the impossible whatever....

• Like 1

When the classroom globes are all blacked over except the country of Thailand, there can be no hope at all for the future.

Enter a high school classroom, draw North/S/E/W on the board, and ask a student to write down where Laos-Cam-Myan-Mal. is and most do not have a clue.

Next do the same with the Thai map, Ask the student to mark in where Rayong-Muk-Ratch-Nan, they have no clue.

Next ask what are the capitols of all Asian countries are---no clue.

We learned this at Junior school before 12 years old. We knew at that time the longest rivers-highest mountains-deepest oceans- and out times tables.

Thais are not thick from being born they are made to be thick from the style of teaching. Too many empty classes and too many holidays don't help.

Biggest problem is the money--follow the money again. Thailand spends near the highest in the world on education (population) go figure.

• Like 2

When the classroom globes are all blacked over except the country of Thailand, there can be no hope at all for the future.

I have visited or worked in 300 classrooms in Thailand and never seen one with the globe blacked out.

• Like 1

Might take a while

The concept of map reading is alien to most Thais. Try and get directions from one.

• Like 2

How can you expect Thai people to understand their neighbours when so many understand so little about their own country. This is not the fault of the individuals, it's the result of being a third world country slowly emerging into the real world. As an ex university lecturer I have seem first hand the complete lack of knowledge of many of the country students regarding Thailand, many students haven't ventured more than a days travel from their home base, have never been the Bangkok, Chiang Mai etc. and many have no desire to go there anyway.

Edited to add: That's if they could afford such a trip.

Edited by Artisi