ED visa in country on an exempt or better to get it before I leave the U.S.

Hello all,

I am planning to go study in Thailand, not as an excuse to stay, as I have not been there in years. I would rather study in my home country but the cost of living is high and in Thailand I can study and live on savings while here at home I would have to go into debt to finish college.

So what's my best approach? I would rather arrive in Thailand on a visa exempt and then square away my ED visa while there than deal with it before I leave. But if it's better to get it here, I would do that.

Would I have to leave Thailand to get the ED visa or can I stay in Bangkok and get it there? Sorry if these seem like old questions but I have ready many threads here and gotten conflicting reports and opinions.

Thanks

I suggest you get a single entry tourist visa that will give you a 60 day entry that can extended for 30 days instead of just a 30 day visa exempt entry. This would give you more time to find a school and even start your studies. It can take 2 or 3 weeks for the school to get the documents for the ED visa at a nearby embassy or consulate..

Another important point is that you may need to show a flight out of the country within 30 days in order to board you flight if you don't have a visa.

I suggest you get a single entry tourist visa that will give you a 60 day entry that can extended for 30 days instead of just a 30 day visa exempt entry. This would give you more time to find a school and even start your studies. It can take 2 or 3 weeks for the school to get the documents for the ED visa at a nearby embassy or consulate..

Another important point is that you may need to show a flight out of the country within 30 days in order to board you flight if you don't have a visa.

Thanks for your reply. So my consulate website says I need the following for a tourist visa:

equired documents :

• Your actual Passport

(Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).

• 1 copy of Passport

(The page(s) shows your photo , name , date and place or birth and the expiration date of passport)

• 1 application form [ Download ]

(completed and signed by the applicant. Parents can sign for the minor).

• 2 photos

(Passport photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).

No mention of round trip ticket. Then could I potentially arrive on a one way ticket?

Thanks for your reply. So my consulate website says I need the following for a tourist visa:

equired documents :

• Your actual Passport

(Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).

• 1 copy of Passport

(The page(s) shows your photo , name , date and place or birth and the expiration date of passport)

• 1 application form [ Download ]

(completed and signed by the applicant. Parents can sign for the minor).

• 2 photos

(Passport photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).

No mention of round trip ticket. Then could I potentially arrive on a one way ticket?

"No mention of round trip ticket. Then could I potentially arrive on a one way ticket?"

The return ticket issue arises when buying the air ticket or attempting to board the flight, not when applying for the visa and, as said, is mainly an issue if you don't have a visa since the airline doesn't want to get stuck with flying you back home if your lack of a visa becomes an issue at Immigrations. Therefore the recommendation that you get a tourist visa and then that problem should not come up.