Nakhon Phanom - can i leave a car there

Sporting Dog

I plan on visiting Laos at Xmas - I want to drive a hire car to Nakhon Phanom and leave it there for a couple of days while in Laos.

Are there safe/secure places to leave a car near the bridge across the river (like they have at Nong Khai)?

Anyone ever done this?

thanks...

If safety is a prime concern then the approach I took in the days of the ferry might be worth considering. Stay a night at that hotel on the river front 2k south of the town centre (sorry name not to hand). 4 years ago I did that and asked the car park attendant if I could leave my car for a few days. It was under supervision at most times including night time, though it was not a locked car park. I asked at reception and they referred me to the 'man-in-the-shed'. Surprisingly the hotel made no daily charge, but I tipped him a couple of hundred baht. Then took a tuk-tuk to the crossing. That journey would be a little more expensive to the bridge of course.

Might be worth checking with the hotel (or any hotel) if you can pay to use their park without staying - some hotels in Isaan will do that (guideline price about 50 baht a day).

Hopefully though, someone will be along on here with details of secureish dedicated parking at the bridge - might want to use it myself one day.

The bridge is very quiet; nowhere near as busy as Nong khai, and there is some open parking right at the bridge. Not sure how secure it would be or how long you can leave a vehicle there.

The hotel suggestion above is a good one. The one suggested is the most expensive and on the opposite side of town to the bridge. There is a newish one outside of town on the bridge side which might fit the bill. Never stayed there so cant recall the name but u should be able to google it and it might be on Agoda.com. the cheapest hotel of a decent standard which I like in town with a good sized car park which Ive never seen full is the 'Add Sign' hotel. It is on Agoda.com. Get a tuk tuk to the bus station and buses every hour to Thakek.

Have a good trip.

This is the hotel I meant and it is on Agoda.com:

http://www.agoda.com/siamgrand-hotel/hotel/nakhonpanom-th.html?asq=u%2ftORxlBkjuriSqlV3gwQ5ozpyjgCrlYt76B%2bNLQ7FKshrtv9c4pCytGbXLo6k5Enhvy7etBZkr46GIYItwNdr5AglmZfWFEIGQknffyRxm7o4RSlb5BWsF5RcE3Skfbd7IoZYR8u5a8%2fMQdRcm5PiDakUInNHSbHK%2biET1t9NWxBUkrHiBK8dB5aZAcoR%2f6hsgpEXod7Wz5rbE8hT5nth%2b9lcqYn03yMlzQTk%2fmTXM8Ib6DV8RT1I5hoaf6grxVGlnXCxhaAyfWkNvtxK1Pa91N3%2bcHrmVT%2bQf1bpybG7g%3d

Note that the bridge is 7k to the North of NP and it is not shown on the google map that Agoda use. Also they now show 2 more hotels on the North side of town.

On reflection my friendly recommended @ Sign hotel is older (but cheaper) compared to a lot of new hotels about 500/600 baht springing up all over town.

Good Luck.

Edited by SunsetT

Thanks SunsetT and SantiSuk.

I'll probably try to leave the car at a hotel carpark, or catch a bus from Khon Khaen and then back again.

(anyone done the bus trip from KK - how long? do they have decent buses - I looked on the NakhonChai Air site but I don't think they do KK-NP).