How to stop dog attacking others

Maybe I missed something but the dog is 8 years old and NOW you ask about training him not to attack other dogs. Just what has been going on in the last 8 years. I get the feeling that this dog has never been exercised properly and is therefore not accustomed to other dogs and that is why he attacks them.

Definitely neuter him. If you had no intention of breeding him then that should have been done at an early age. Muzzle him when out and keep a good strong lead on him so that he can't get near other dogs. Carry a big stick. I find that just waving it at stray dogs keeps them far enough away. Don't let stray dogs get close enough to do the sniffing thing. How would you react if somebody came up and sniffed your butt.

Incorrect, I have two dogs that we acquired at the same age approx 10 weeks, they both have been bought up the same way with daily walks etc, now the lab still goes crazy at other dogs and will want to at least chase after them to fight although not aggressively plus he is prone to running off although he is the more obedient of the two when at home.

The other dog is let off the lead on walks, befriends other dogs who come up to him in an aggressive manner and generally want to be everyones friend.

So for the so called experts on here, perhaps they could explain the above !!

Wasn't referring to your dog(s) but the OPs.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a German Shepherd what do you expect, Typical used for security, Not a Family dog and known for attacking people, a Dangerous breed of dog. That's all I have to say on the issue.

I hope the thumbnail you have attached is not your idea of a German Shepherd. If it is, you certainly do not know you dogs. It's a Rottweiler. As for your statement, in particular the last sentence, thank god for that, as you have no idea what you are talking about The only factual aspect is that they are often used in the security industry. German Shepherds are actually great family dogs and will give years of loyalty if treated correctly and are well trained and cared for.

Sure there have been attacks by this breed of dog upon humans and other animals, which is also the case of many other breeds, which by your assessment would probably not be suitable as family pets. A dog is a dog, not a human being, who by the way is also renowned for attacking other humans. A dog's behaviour relates to the way it is treated or has been trained, however, us humans should never forget that although we treat dogs as family members they are a still a domesticated wild animal, the latter, no matter what breeding they have, will always remain in their genes.

I have had the breed as my family pets for over thirty years and also bred them, with the only attack occurring when two people tried to mug me whilst I was walking him. I tell you they will never try that again, this dog put himself between those attackers and myself and inflicted a little bit of summary justice.

On all other occasions my dogs, because I trained them from a puppy, have allowed children to ride them, take food from them and pull their ears and tails, all without a response. However, when strangers came to the home, the dog would sit beside me and if the person made an unexpected move, the dog would bark a few times, I would say just to let the person know he would protect me if needed.

Any breed of dog can be dangerous so please do not malign this breed as you have. and this is all I have to say.

sir

excellant post

Any big dog should be taught from 8 weeks puppy stage and continue thru the dog,s life.To get a big dog from a dog,s home, then the skill of the owner is even more important,but far from impossible.

Have you had him for 8 years? Has he been like this all his life? Have you done any obedience training with him? If he is a new dog, and you don't have any dog training schools around and you have not done much training yourself, I would also say get a muzzle for when you take him for a walk? An 8 year old GSD will be very hard to train, I think you may have left it too late. You should be able to teach him to sit and stay and what "no" means, but if you aren't committed to spending a lot of time training him, the muzzle is your only option. Not sure where you live, but here is a school that may be able to help.http://www.k9pattaya.com/PATTAYA_CANINE_INTERNATIONAL_COLLEGE_English.htm

Use a correction collar and have a strong lead so you can give him harsh corrections whenever he tries to attack another dog. When he is getting nasty with another, he may not mean to bite you, but it is quite probable you will be bitten with friendly fire. And as the previous poster said, get him neutered. That may help a lot.

GSD life span is normally not much more than 12 or 13. The training will help you greatly with your next dog, as they train you how to train your dog.

K9 Pattaya. Went there some years ago to inquire about training my newly acquired Golden. Told to leave it with them with enough food to last plus a huge fee then come and collect 3 MONTHS later. What no training sessions with me I ask. No they said. We train and then you collect. Needless to say I did not leave them with my dog. I can only hope that they have improved because they couldn't get much worse.

I am sorry to hear that about them. I don't know anything about them, I found the link and they looked ok from their site, but you are right not to leave your dog there. Dog training MUST be done with the owner and the dog, so the owner and dog develop a bond. The main part of training is the constant training of the owner so he knows how to train the dog. I have heard of other places in Austraila that do the same thing and they are terrible. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and to anyone who wants to train their dog, this is a warning that if you don't go along for the training with your dog it is no good, never leave your dog with the training school.

Maybe I missed something but the dog is 8 years old and NOW you ask about training him not to attack other dogs. Just what has been going on in the last 8 years. I get the feeling that this dog has never been exercised properly and is therefore not accustomed to other dogs and that is why he attacks them.

Definitely neuter him. If you had no intention of breeding him then that should have been done at an early age. Muzzle him when out and keep a good strong lead on him so that he can't get near other dogs. Carry a big stick. I find that just waving it at stray dogs keeps them far enough away. Don't let stray dogs get close enough to do the sniffing thing. How would you react if somebody came up and sniffed your butt.

Incorrect, I have two dogs that we acquired at the same age approx 10 weeks, they both have been bought up the same way with daily walks etc, now the lab still goes crazy at other dogs and will want to at least chase after them to fight although not aggressively plus he is prone to running off although he is the more obedient of the two when at home.

The other dog is let off the lead on walks, befriends other dogs who come up to him in an aggressive manner and generally want to be everyones friend.

So for the so called experts on here, perhaps they could explain the above !!

Depends on what you call a so called expert and who is doing the calling. Genetics play a very important role with the nature of the dog. This is not to say that 2 dogs from the same litter will have the same temperments. Just like 2 human from the same parents or even twins can have totally different personalities when brought up in the same environment. If you buy the dog from a good reputable breeder, that cares about the quality of the dogs they breed, it gives you a better chance of aquiring a dog with a good temperment and conformation. It should have a better chance also of having less medical problems than a dog of unknown parenthood or from a puppy farm. As I said in an earlier post, German Shepherds had a bad name which was deserved because there had been a ban on importing them, and the breeding stock in the country was poor and interbred. The dogs temperment was poor, many were nervous and prone to biting. After the ban was lifted, they improved to world standard. It is always a bit of luck when you buy your dog, no matter where it comes from, but you can make the odds in your favour much higher with where you buy from, and the dog you choose.

Just like you can get a racehorse bred from 2 of the greatest racehorses but that doesn't mean the offspring will be as good as the parents, but is some cases they may even be better.

Also the 2 dogs you had will never have had exactly the same expierences, so that can also be a factor.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Its a German Shepherd what do you expect, Typical used for security, Not a Family dog and known for attacking people, a Dangerous breed of dog. That's all I have to say on the issue.

What a load of Pollocks..I was brought up with Alsations/sheperds since i was 5 y/o only dog i have had and that is many over 50 years.

"What a load of Pollocks." Lets keep nationality out of this discussion! Is it not against

the forum rules? Wop, spic, kraut, pollock, wot do it matter?

"Any big dog should be taught from 8 weeks puppy stage and continue thru the dog,s life.To get a big dog from a dog,s home, then the skill of the owner is even more important,but far from impossible."

I've raised Golden retrievers all of my life and I would change your statement to "Any dog should be taught from the moment he can crawl out of the whelping box." When I sold my Goldens, usually at 8 weeks they were fully house and people trained and slept anywhere they liked in the house. I had 23 at one time. My Avatar is the runt of my last litter, unfortunately he developed liver cancer and is no longer here, but I still have the runt of the first liter, 11.5 years this month.

I hope the thumbnail you have attached is not your idea of a German Shepherd. If it is, you certainly do not know you dogs. It's a Rottweiler. As for your statement, in particular the last sentence, thank god for that, as you have no idea what you are talking about The only factual aspect is that they are often used in the security industry. German Shepherds are actually great family dogs and will give years of loyalty if treated correctly and are well trained and cared for.

Sure there have been attacks by this breed of dog upon humans and other animals, which is also the case of many other breeds, which by your assessment would probably not be suitable as family pets. A dog is a dog, not a human being, who by the way is also renowned for attacking other humans. A dog's behaviour relates to the way it is treated or has been trained, however, us humans should never forget that although we treat dogs as family members they are a still a domesticated wild animal, the latter, no matter what breeding they have, will always remain in their genes.

I have had the breed as my family pets for over thirty years and also bred them, with the only attack occurring when two people tried to mug me whilst I was walking him. I tell you they will never try that again, this dog put himself between those attackers and myself and inflicted a little bit of summary justice.

On all other occasions my dogs, because I trained them from a puppy, have allowed children to ride them, take food from them and pull their ears and tails, all without a response. However, when strangers came to the home, the dog would sit beside me and if the person made an unexpected move, the dog would bark a few times, I would say just to let the person know he would protect me if needed.

Any breed of dog can be dangerous so please do not malign this breed as you have. and this is all I have to say.

sir

excellant post

Any big dog should be taught from 8 weeks puppy stage and continue thru the dog,s life.To get a big dog from a dog,s home, then the skill of the owner is even more important,but far from impossible.

Any dog NOT just big ones should be trained as soon as possible. How many Poodles and Chihuahuas have you seen yapping and snapping at people? I've seen lots and with a little work it can be trained out. Children who live near to me are scared of my 30kg Black Lab but not of the Chihuahuas and Poodles. But my dog has never bit anybody. I can't say the same for the others. When it comes to dog aggression size is NOT a factor.

• 2 weeks later...