Driving in uk

Johnmeldrum

I have a uk passport and a house in uk . I have a house in Thailand and live there about 11 moths a year for last 5 yrs.
Question I have a Thai 5 year driving licence and a Thai international driving licence . Going back to uk fo 2 weeks can I use these licences to drive in uk I am over 25 years old hahaha

Do you still hold a UK driving license? If so, drive on that.

If you plan on renting a car, you will need to provide proof of (UK) address. This can be in the form of recent (3 months)a bank statement or utility bill sent to your UK address. Alternative usint Thai DL, you'll need passport, plus driving licence (translation of non-Romanised/non-English language/non EU license) needed. International license does this.

I am in a similar situation. I am intending to drive in the UK is September, and will be driving on my UK license, in a rental car.

Another tip: avoid renting a car at an airport depot. Down-town rental facilities are about 10 - 15% cheaper!thumbsup.gif

It is illegal to drive in the UK using a Thai drivers license if you also have a UK license. Technically you are required to surrender your UK license as soon as you have settled in Thailand and obtained a Thai license. But in practice, you can rent cars in the UK using the Thai license and if you have an accident you can produce either, I had an accident there in May in a rental car and produced both and the police didn't say anything, the insurance company also paid my claim without saying anything..

If you plan on renting a car, you will need to provide proof of (UK) address. This can be in the form of recent (3 months)a bank statement or utility bill sent to your UK address. Alternative usint Thai DL, you'll need passport, plus driving licence (translation of non-Romanised/non-English language/non EU license) needed. International license does this.

I am in a similar situation. I am intending to drive in the UK is September, and will be driving on my UK license, in a rental car.
Another tip: avoid renting a car at an airport depot. Down-town rental facilities are about 10 - 15% cheaper!thumbsup.gif

Maybe with your rental company but not Enterprise who I use all the time.
I rent cars in the UK 3-4 times/year and have never been asked for proof of address. I just show them my UK license and also passport. I do secure the booking on a credit card but not sure this makes any difference to proof of address.

If you drive on a foreign license you will need proof of address and a dated return ticket, Some car rental firms (National) check the address on the license to ensure you actually live there. In practice, the car firms want your business but also want to know that you are traceable and not going to steal their cars, having a UK credit card helps a lot.

Finally, I strongly recommend getting third party insurance coverage, that way you can decline all the expensive insurance that the car company wants you to buy and reduces the cost of rental to just the car itself, Questor/White Horse has such a policy which costs £39 a year, which paid out over £400 to me in May when somebody hit the rental car whilst parked, the policy pays for itself in about six days of renting an average sized car, EDIT: note, that policy is only available to non-uk residents so if you have an accident you must claim using your foreign drivers license, that puts you at odds with DMV unless you have returned your UK license, technically.

Edited by chiang mai

If you drive on a foreign license you will need proof of address and a dated return ticket, Some car rental firms (National) check the address ........

Some may, not all.  From Avis's booking confirmation;

DON'T FORGET to bring:

·  This document with you when you pick up your car.

·  A valid payment card(s) to which any additional charges will be charged.

·  Your driving licence - two parts if you hold a UK licence.

Booked under my Thai address, paid with my Thai credit card.  No passport and only my Thai DL.  Friend of mine during the same trip also rented a car (Budget), same deal, except he used a UK card.

Avoid National seems to be the moral of this story.

If you drive on a foreign license you will need proof of address and a dated return ticket, Some car rental firms (National) check the address ........

Some may, not all.  From Avis's booking confirmation;

DON'T FORGET to bring:

·  This document with you when you pick up your car.

·  A valid payment card(s) to which any additional charges will be charged.

·  Your driving licence - two parts if you hold a UK licence.

Booked under my Thai address, paid with my Thai credit card.  No passport and only my Thai DL.  Friend of mine during the same trip also rented a car (Budget), same deal, except he used a UK card.

Avoid National seems to be the moral of this story.

Yes, National/Europcar/Alama is pretty specific on this point:

"Visitors to the UK - All visitors to the UK must present a full valid license. Licences issued overseas must be clearly identifiable as a driving licence, otherwise an International Driving Licence will be required. A Passport, ID showing home address and proof of entry/exit into/out of the UK (e-tickets acceptable) must also be produced if not a UK resident".

"A renter holding a non-UK licence must produce a full valid passport at time of rental. Holders of any licence that does not show the current address must also produce proof of current address in the form of a Current Credit Finance Agreement, Current Utilities Bill, or Current Bank Statement. All renters with a UK home address will need to pass an Equifax eIDVerifier as verification of residence at their given address. Any customer failing the check will not be allowed to rent. If there is an unsatisfactory search result you will need to provide paper-based proof of identity such as a valid bank/ building society/credit card statement, utility bill (not a council tax bill), land line telephone bill (not a mobile phone bill) or a TV license that is less than 3 months old when you pick up the vehicle from the Rental Station. UK Nationals residing overseas are advised to use a driving license of the country in which they reside or they will be subject to the above."

http://www.nationalcar.co.uk/helpfulinformation/gb

I rented from Avis in May using my Thai license (no IDP) and had no problems at all, other than lots of questions from the Avis girl about what Thailand was like to live in.

Normally they are keen to use the driving license that is from the same country as the address that is used for the credit card.

I have UK, Thai and UAE valid licenses. They normally pick the one that matches the credit card being used.

I rent cars in the UK 3-4 times/year and have never been asked for proof of address. I just show them my UK license and also passport. I do secure the booking on a credit card but not sure this makes any difference to proof of address.

Thanks for this, RabC. I intend renting from Enterprise, and I have been looking at the Enterprise web site, and contacted them by e-mail. They said I'd need proof of ID if renting from a downtown depot. Good news that you have not found this to be the case. I shall try renting without showing UK bank statement or whatever, and see what happens.

Hi Dah Fahrang
Thanks for information where is down town rentals better still email address thank you

John:

Enterprise in particular clearly state on their web site that airport rentals carry both a premium in rental price, and in CDW charge.

Run two checks on their web site - an airport and a downtown depot.

In my case, in UK, Manchester, and Altrincham (downtown depot).

Hi Dah Fahrang
Thanks for information where is down town rentals better still email address thank you

John:

Enterprise in particular clearly state on their web site that airport rentals carry both a premium in rental price, and in CDW charge.

Just ran a check against my intended rental:

Enterprise Car Rental UK:

Class B. Economy (example)

Manchester Airport pick-up: £139.51 per week (October)

Altrincham pick-up: £103.55 per week (October)

about 34% more for airport pick-up!

On top of this, the CDW is higher for all airport rentals.

Happy savings....

Thank you everybody for all your help

Probably best to use your Thai License and then you don't have to worry about anything, no points, no fines biggrin.png

Be prepared to pay on the spot for spot fines though on a non UK licence.

On the topic (slightly off topic) of spot fines. Be careful to check on the new driving rules you may not know about.

As an example - If you put your front wheels on or into the box reserved for cyclists at a junction, it is an automatic fine. Not to mention, mobile phones, seat belts and such.

But I'm not wanting to teach a granny to suck eggs tongue.png

edit typo

Edited by WhamBam

Thanks for this, RabC. I intend renting from Enterprise, and I have been looking at the Enterprise web site, and contacted them by e-mail. They said I'd need proof of ID if renting from a downtown depot. Good news that you have not found this to be the case. I shall try renting without showing UK bank statement or whatever, and see what happens.
If they are asking only for proof of ID then that's what I always give them as they take a copy of my passport. I have never given a proof of address.

Hi Dah Fahrang

John:

Happy savings....
My advice would be to take,out your own CDW excess insurance it is by far cheaper than the rental companies, google "hire car excess insurance"
  • Like 1

Hi Dah Fahrang

John:

Happy savings....
My advice would be to take,out your own CDW excess insurance it is by far cheaper than the rental companies, google "hire car excess insurance"

Rab C:

been looking at these at some length. some will only insure for UK residents, and some won't insure if damage is less than 150km from your 'home'. Others will.

How do you deal with this? You rent a car with UK licence, then show (or not) proof of address to clinch the rental. You have excess insurance. Decline their exorbitant excess cover.

But, what address do you put on your proposal form for the excess insurance? UK? Thai? Help.!!!!!!!!

I've used this company https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/#0 when I purchased it asked for my country of residence and Thailand was in the drop down box, I did look for exclusions but there weren't any to be found.

I used my Thai address, licence and credit card and declined the car hire company's excess cover, which in fact only reduced the liability where as mine fully covered it, though you do have to pay and claim back.

I didn't put anything down on their contract, save excess insurance declined.
  • Like 1

Rented n the UK recently on a NZ license, did it through my usual NZ travel agent.

No address in the UK as we travelled most days and stayed at a different B&B most nights.

Watch them with their pricing.

The contract I got and paid for through my agent (printed out) said the hire included full insurance and full roadside assist cover.

When we picked up the car we were told the insurance was only third party and roadside assist was very limited.

Ended up paying twice the cost on the original contract from the agent for full insurance and RS assist.

Could have done without both but if something had gone wrong it could have cost a heap.

If you drive on a foreign license you will need proof of address and a dated return ticket, Some car rental firms (National) check the address on the license to ensure you actually live there. In practice, the car firms want your business but also want to know that you are traceable and not going to steal their cars, having a UK credit card helps a lot.

Finally, I strongly recommend getting third party insurance coverage, that way you can decline all the expensive insurance that the car company wants you to buy and reduces the cost of rental to just the car itself, Questor/White Horse has such a policy which costs £39 a year, which paid out over £400 to me in May when somebody hit the rental car whilst parked, the policy pays for itself in about six days of renting an average sized car, EDIT: note, that policy is only available to non-uk residents so if you have an accident you must claim using your foreign drivers license, that puts you at odds with DMV unless you have returned your UK license, technically.

I use Questor £39.98 for annual cover

Policy Limits Description Cover Section 1 - Excess Reimbursement The excess on the car rental agreement up to £5,000 Section 1 - Tyres, Windscreen & Under-body Up to £5,000 Section 1 - Towing Up to £500 Section 2 - Personal Accident Up to £10,000 Section 3 - Baggage Up to £300 (£50 Excess applies) Section 4 - Key Cover Up to £500 £2,000 in total for year Section 5 - Curtailment £30 per day up to £300 Section 6 - Drop Off Charges Up to £300 Section 7 - Lock Out Up to £100 Section 8 - Near Home Rental Included Section 9 - Mis Fuelling Up to £500 Section 10 - Road Rage £1,000 Section 11 - Car Jacking Cover £1,000
  • Like 1