I had a very strange and annoying experience today

Essex Exile

At the beginning of this month we, as a family, had some professional photos taken at one of these studios that you see dotted about town, when done they told us to come back to collect them at the end of the month. 

I went back in today with the receipt to see if they were ready. I gave one of the girls, who I recognised from before, the receipt and enquired if said photos were now ready to collect, she understood me perfectly. I was told to sit down and wait for a moment. Now this woman can speak English, as do the other girls, as I remember this from our initial very long drawn out visit. Around 5 minutes later she walked over to me, says nothing, but just passes to me a mobile phone. What's all this about, I'm thinking, so I took the phone 'hello' the person on the other end of the phone was none other than my significant other informing me that the photos are not ready yet to collect. 'why has she called you to tell you that' I ask? 'don't know' says the SO. I quickly hang up. To say I was not impressed would be an understatement. So now my attention turns back to the girl 'Why didn't you just tell me that yourself?' I ask in a brisk tone, this question was just met with a blank stare. At this point I looked at one of the other girls, who had seen what had happened, hoping for some kind of explantion 'I don't know why she did that' she mused. At this point I just ruefully shook my head and made my exit.

All very bizarre and I can only put this strange episode  down to the recent phenomenon known as 'Thainess'

Thanks for reading.

EE

Edited by Essex Exile
  • Like 1

perhaps had a bad experience of saying "not ready" to a farang in the past, with stuttering english, feeling uncomfortable speaking a language she does not know much under what might be pressure. So she calls your missus instead. 

No big problem, eh? 

Ah, so that must be it. Thanks.

OP, are you whinging as much at home as you do here?

Two explanations here.

Either the girl was not confident with her English as to speak to you,

or seen you being sooooooo hansum, got stunned and couldn't open her mouth.

Choose witch ever you like.

• Like 1

Far worse happened to me in Patts.  This is a non-thread in comparison.

I could tell you some stories.  But I won't except the time that I was almost compromised by three Navy Seals and a ladyboy.  Luckily I had three canisters of pepper spray to hand. 

Be prepared.

• Like 1

Count yourself lucky. On the subject of customer service, at least you weren't treated as badly as the poster 'Midfield General' when he went to a beauty salon: rolleyes.gif

"I remember I went into a beauty salon in Pattaya with the intention of getting my back shaved. The girl told me to remove my t shirt off and sit in the chair and lean over.  She then walked away and disappeared through the back.  I sat  for about 15 mins without seeing another soul  no staff, no customers anyone,  Then another older woman appeared and asked ''what you want''  I explained I wanted my back shaved.  She then burst out laughing called me a ling (monkey) and asked me to leave the shop."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691532-another-hour-wasted-in-thailand-i-will-never-get-back/page-3#entry7204895

• Like 2

And this must be - what - 10 years ago?

I find it hard to believe that any "Photo Studio" anywhere in Thailand does not use Digital Cameras and a suitable Printer these days - therefore there is absolutely no excuse for the Shop to make you wait more than a few minutes after the picture has been taken and then displayed and printed out, variously cropped and with backgrounds, pending your satisfaction.

Patrick

It's obvious you haven't had contact with a true photographic professional lately either.  There is more than just a few key strokes to producing a quality photograph.  Post processing is an art and it can be time consuming when done correctly.

I'd expect immediate results as you mention from some place like a tourist attraction, but then again the quality of one of their prints would relect that also.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that any "Photo Studio" anywhere in Thailand does not use Digital Cameras and a suitable Printer these days - therefore there is absolutely no excuse for the Shop to make you wait more than a few minutes after the picture has been taken and then displayed and printed out, variously cropped and with backgrounds, pending your satisfaction.

Patrick

It's obvious you haven't had contact with a true photographic professional lately either.  There is more than just a few key strokes to producing a quality photograph.  Post processing is an art and it can be time consuming when done correctly.

I'd expect immediate results as you mention from some place like a tourist attraction, but then again the quality of one of their prints would relect that also.

Roger comments accepted but one month? Thais will paint you an oil on canvas portrait in 1-2 weeks,

Simple.
They weren't ready and tried to not lose face or make you lose face by telling you something you didn't want to hear.

Called your SO, who we can assume is Thai, to tell them "in the Thai way",
and hope she can tell you and keep you calm. That it had the complete opposite effect is typical.

Face is a minefield in Thailand, just keep cool and go with the flow is the ONLY way to navigate it.
Easier said than done.

I just had a piece of electronics fixed... Well not fixed.
Contacted late Nov.
Finally got shipping address Dec 10. Sent that day.
Still not repaired Feb 1....
February 19 asked to pay 6,000 baht, wired same day.

Unit arrives 5 days later, but I was sick and thought that was
why it wouldn't work, it was too ill to get it done, and put it aside....
Went on the road for 2-3 months, found broken computer on return.
Fixed computer. Finally all in place, hook up unit to trouble shoot...
UNIT NOT FIXED.

One can assume the tech didn't want to tell the boss he couldn't fix it,
Boss would lose face to me, tech would lose face to boss; better to just send back.
Never think about sending to factory in USA for repair or exchange, too expensive.
Boss charges me $200. It still doesn't work.

While on the road in USA I was within 6 miles of the manufacturers repair place.
Three times.
If they had told me they couldn't fix it I could have taken it with me to USA.

They now say ship it back to them again....

Do you see a pattern here?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Patrick

LOL. Do you think they just shoot and print? They spend a considerable amount of time "altering" the photos with Photoshop or some other photo editing software. This is a process which requires a considerable amount of skill and there's probably only one person in the studio qualified to do this. 

• Like 2

Normal Thai behaviour at its' best cheesy.gif

Had a good laugh today,in total agreement with you better than just a blank look.

Poor girl obviously couldnt converse the information in english so give the wife the info same as i get when i ask a ? they don't or wont understand they ask my gf what i said and subsequently this is related back to me in broken english.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Patrick

Roger comments accepted but one month? Thais will paint you an oil on canvas portrait in 1-2 weeks,

Yep you're correct, one month is a little excessive.  Alot of professional studios have about a one to two week turn around.  I usually under promise and over deliver, saying 3-4 days and deliver in 1-2.  But I'm not full time either.

• Like 1

I have noticed that in any type of transaction/interaction in store, restaurant etc. That when you question the service in any way the Thais will arbitrarily take it further in the opposite

direction from your question/position. Ill let the psychologists here explain why.   

I have noticed that in any type of transaction/interaction in store, restaurant etc. That when you question the service in any way the Thais will arbitrarily take it further in the opposite

direction from your question/position. Ill let the psychologists here explain why.   

I'm certainly no psychologist but a best guess is it's a face saving manuever, a cultural thing.