Heavy rain blamed for Oriental Express derailment in Thailand

webfact

Heavy Rain Blamed For Oriental Express Derailment

By Khaosod English

14065359381406535990l.jpg
Two passengers were injured when a section of the luxury train, operated by Eastern and Oriental Express company, derailed at a curve in Ban Pong district of Ratchaburi province at around 10.30 am on 27 July 2014.

RATCHABURI — Officials are investigating the derailment of five cars from the Oriental Express train in western Thailand yesterday.

Two passengers were injured when a section of the luxury train, operated by Eastern and Oriental Express company, derailed at a curve in Ban Pong district of Ratchaburi province at around 10.30 am on Sunday.

Two Japanese women were injured and sent to local hospital. Police describe their injuries as "light."

Train operators say the train was traveling from Hua Lampong station in Bangkok to its final destination in Singapore. The train reportedly carried 77 passengers, mostly European and Asian tourists, staff say.

Officials from the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) said that heavy rain may have caused the train track to sink and widen, causing the derailment.

However, SRT officials stressed that a more thorough investigation is needed to establish the true cause of the incident.

"A central committee will be appointed to investigate the derailment," said Narongrit Sivasarote, a chief engineer of the SRT. "We expect that the investigation will take one month."

Derailment and delays are common on Thai railways, due in part to old facilities and a lack of proper maintenance. A proposal by the previous government to construct a high-speed train system was struck down by the Constitutional Court on the ground that the project’s budget lacked transparency.

According to the Eastern and Oriental Express website, a ticket for the four-day Bangkok - Singapore train journey costs approximately 83,000 baht per person.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1406535938

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-07-28

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never mind wrong kind of rain! Wrong kind of money! 83,000B You must be joking. That is 2 return tickets BKK-LHR

Can believe, if you get the top car on the train---same the Savoy on tracks--(return trip) I travelled 1 time in the UK.

Okay, so this time the rains are allegedly to blame, and not the long-known fact that...

"Derailments and delays are common on Thai railways, due in part to old facilities and a lack of proper maintenance."

You're forgetting the 4th law of thermodynamics:

Sometimes stuff happens

Googled "train derailment -Thailand" and got 4.1 million hits without the word Thailand anywhere in the article.

Interestingly (okay, maybe not), first hit: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_26227532/northern-colorado-officials-eye-risk-oil-train-derailments, which included this:

There have been five train accidents this year, including LaSalle, that spilled a total of almost 140,000 gallons of crude oil

Another interesting one:

http://www.weather.com/news/boeing-737-fuselages-tumble-montana-river-after-train-derails-20140706

Edited by impulse

they need to impose '' restrictions'' in certain mileages that are know to have bed washout issues,either stop and walk the portion of track stated in the bullinten.or,stop at the milage stated and procede at a ''restricted speed(ability to stop in 1/2 the range of vision).. reduced speed(not exceeding 30mph and limited speed (not exceeding 45mph),normally railways, we have daily operating bullitens,with speed restrictions,men working etc etcthese are printed and updated daily,it is the law for the crew to be in posession of 2 sets ,singeds by each crew member,and if a new bulliten is issued while enroute,they train crew will be required to copy it over the radio and repeat to insure correctness,its just the proper way to railroad..the rain comes every year,cant they get it together

they need to impose '' restrictions'' in certain mileages that are know to have bed washout issues,either stop and walk the portion of track stated in the bullinten.or,stop at the milage stated and procede at a ''restricted speed(ability to stop in 1/2 the range of vision).. reduced speed(not exceeding 30mph and limited speed (not exceeding 45mph),normally railways, we have daily operating bullitens,with speed restrictions,men working etc etcthese are printed and updated daily,it is the law for the crew to be in posession of 2 sets ,singeds by each crew member,and if a new bulliten is issued while enroute,they train crew will be required to copy it over the radio and repeat to insure correctness,its just the proper way to railroad..the rain comes every year,cant they get it together

You are quoting GCOR or CROR and I doubt Thailand has anything close to the safety rules applied on Canadian and United States roads.

For a start, the Khaosod article is saying that the train was traveling from Hua Lampong to Singapore while the other paper that may not be quoted seems to have the correct story. That is where the train was en route to Kanchanaburi via the branch line, the Kwai bridge and Sai Yok at the end of the tracks that form part of the end of the Death Railway.

This section is less heavily used than the Bangkok Ratchaburi and onwards south section (the main line).

The Kwai Bridge is a major tourist draw (Thanks Sir David Lean) and thanks to all who suffered and died during the construction , and the tourists that can afford to happily pay large fares for a trip on this once-in-a-lifetime train, probably enjoy every minute of their days and nights regardless of how many people think it's exorbitant. They have good 5 star service on board, excellent food and super friendly staff.

The maintenance reflects on SRT and this is exactly the sort of thing the general and his staff are trying to sort out. Where has all the money gone?

The least SRT could do is provide a clean modern unit to pull the train.

Prices start from $2,170 (that's US dollars not Singaporean) per person. Obviously most passengers travel in couples. It is popular with Japanese honeymooners.

Will this batch of passengers get a refund?

The investigation will take a month?

Pig feathers! It should have read "It will take a month to come up with enough plausible deniability that no one loses face or finances."

Amazing. Not surprising, or stupendous, just amazing..

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 2

Refund. In Thailand. Allow me to giggle softly.

Best bet is they get a coupon to come next time at half price, if that.

Mind you, I've contemplated to take the trip myself because in principle it is a very pleasant journey with good food and wines, nice cabin etc.

Refund. In Thailand. Allow me to giggle softly.

Best bet is they get a coupon to come next time at half price, if that.

Mind you, I've contemplated to take the trip myself because in principle it is a very pleasant journey with good food and wines, nice cabin etc.

Good food and wines, nice cabin etc, but i imagine this train waggles and shakes then begins to oscillate as all trains here do? i never managed sleep anytime i tried sleeper trains here,

I always got worried when the carriage went silent on one side... i had vissions that all wheels on that side were in the air and a derail was imminent.

Thank God no one was raped!

Most of the people who can afford to and want to go on that trip are so old not too many people want to do that.

Joke, some old people living alone may well dream of being interfered with.cheesy.gif

The trains derail, the airplanes crash, the cars have plenty of fatal accidents, the boats sink.

I better stick posting on TVF........feel more safe.

Most people still die in bed.

It is a fact that the most old people die on the toilet. UK hospital fact years ago.

The trains derail, the airplanes crash, the cars have plenty of fatal accidents, the boats sink.

I better stick posting on TVF........feel more safe.

Most people still die in bed.

It is a fact that the most old people die on the toilet. UK hospital fact years ago.

Quite possibly. Still much more likely than most of the above options.

• Like 1

wai2.gif

Thank God no one was raped!

Most of the people who can afford to and want to go on that trip are so old not too many people want to do that.

So, would you fit that demographic harrry?

I do not think so. For sure I cannot afford it. I may fit in the age bracket but travelling in a cloisterd environment with a few other individuals in the same demographic and just looking out at the scenery while drinking champagne and complaining about how poorly the natives on the platform dress is not for me. The flesh may not be willing but I would much rather travel the old route in srt 2nd class sleeper cars where people actually talk to me or at worst do what I once did a 6 month railpass of India..,.which admitedly was first class. Travelling is about being in an environment not isolated from it. But whatever rocks your boat. Some people seem to want it.

Some good points harrry, but I can't help thinking that your comment about a group of well heeled vacationers traveling in coddled luxury on a 5 star train, whilst looking down their noses at the passing scene is somewhat comparable to a group of retired expats gathered in a Pattaya beer bar looking down their noses at the people serving beer, cooking Thai food and providing after hours gymnastic entertainment.

Each to his own of course, and I do happen to agree with you, it's far more fun, IMHO, to travel 2nd or 3rd class on a Thai train where I get to talk with the natives and food sellers, and after passing me a Coke and a bag of green mango, they bow deeply and say "Thank you bwana".wai2.gifwink.png

Edited by ratcatcher

I do not think so. For sure I cannot afford it. I may fit in the age bracket but travelling in a cloisterd environment with a few other individuals in the same demographic and just looking out at the scenery while drinking champagne and complaining about how poorly the natives on the platform dress is not for me. The flesh may not be willing but I would much rather travel the old route in srt 2nd class sleeper cars where people actually talk to me or at worst do what I once did a 6 month railpass of India..,.which admitedly was first class. Travelling is about being in an environment not isolated from it. But whatever rocks your boat. Some people seem to want it.

Some good points harrry, but I can't help thinking that your comment about a group of well heeled vacationers traveling in coddled luxury on a 5 star train, whilst looking down their noses at the passing scene is somewhat comparable to a group of retired expats gathered in a Pattaya beer bar looking down their noses at the people serving beer, cooking Thai food and providing after hours gymnastic entertainment.

Each to his own of course, and I do happen to agree with you, it's far more fun, IMHO, to travel 2nd or 3rd class on a Thai train where I get to talk with the natives and food sellers, and after passing me a Coke and a bag of green mango, they bow deeply and say "Thank you bwana".

Possibly but do most of those expats in a Pattaya Beer bar even attempt to talk with people in the local lancuage... and I do not just mean you go with me pun baht.

Each to his own of course, and I do happen to agree with you, it's far more fun, IMHO, to travel 2nd or 3rd class on a Thai train where I get to talk with the natives and food sellers, and after passing me a Coke and a bag of green mango, they bow deeply and say "Thank you bwana".

Possibly but do most of those expats in a Pattaya Beer bar even attempt to talk with people in the local lancuage... and I do not just mean you go with me pun baht.

Agree, and probably not. But as you know harrry, "you go with me pun baht." is the language of love.

• Like 1

Agree, and probably not. But as you know harrry, "you go with me pun baht." is the language of love.

40 years ago it was the language of love for a month.

Edited by harrry