Disabled Scot claims he was battered by Thai prison guards after being left starving and penniless

Rimmer

Disabled Scot claims he was battered by Thai prison guards after being left starving and penniless on beach

JS42544009.jpg
PATTAYA:--A DISABLED man claims he was beaten bloody by Thai prison guards after he was left starving and penniless on a beach.

Brain-damaged William Crook says he was flung in jail alongside murderers and terrorists after overstaying his visa.

He had been sleeping rough and living out of his suitcase for months after a cash machine swallowed his bank card and he lost his plane ticket home.

The Foreign Office are to investigate the Glasgow man’s claim he was beaten with sticks by his captors.

William – who was left with paralysis after an attack 15 years ago – said: “I had heard about Thai prisons being ruthless but this was awful. There was nowhere to sleep and it was very hostile.

“I’m paralysed down one side but we had to lie curled up on the floor. I tried to tell them I was disabled but they didn’t do anything.

“I made a friend who told me to stay away from certain people – he said people die there all the time.

“One day, I didn’t want to get my hair cut because I don’t like people seeing my scars from my injury. I was dragged out by two guards and beaten with sticks. They burst my head open.

“I was made to feel like the worst criminal but I had only overstayed by about 10 days and that wasn’t my fault.

“I didn’t know if anyone was going to help me.”

William, 43, is now back home in Shawlands after his mum Margaret, 61, paid for his flight.

Full story:http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/disabled-scot-claims-battered-thai-3924451

DAILY RECORD

• Like 1

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HMMMMMM

The last time he was in the media his mum was saying he flew out to meet a thai girl and she robbed him of everything....or is this a different person? 

Same person... www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/thai-honey-trap-fear-starving-3746288

Maybe the Daily Record should read their previous stories to ensure consistency.

Was looking to see any info about what happened 15 years ago, nothing so far but digging.

What beats me, if he has the mental age of a 12 year old he should not be allowed to travel alone, surely his mother could have applied to the "Court of Protection" for power of attorney? but one must assume instead his mother actually filled out his passport application for him.

£4.000... I doubt that would last more than a few day with "Like a kid in a candy shop" syndrome.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

Well he probably got a payout and/or disability benefits from his previous beating so I expect he's hoping to double up. Maybe get a payout from the Thai Police and The Foreign Office for not looking after his interests.

If he thinks the Thais will pay up he's definitely brain damaged.

• Like 1

This story is sick.
Just 10 days overstay man.

Really wird.
They put him with criminals instead overstayers...

Maybe some people see overstayers as being criminals.

The act of overstaying a visa could be deemed as breaking the law and if you break the law you are a criminal.

• Like 1

80% elaboration for sure.  he could have replaced his ticket at the airport.  first report says he was here for 4 yrs proio to this visit.. so no stranger to Thailand.  if he has mental age fo 12, someone should have taken responsibility for him at home and not let him come. paraylsed down one side.. the pic looks les than convincing of that. 

5 mins of fame at the expense of thai tourism..  but the good news is that, even he, wont be daft enough to come back, so no doubt malaga will enjoy next years report

• Like 1

80% elaboration for sure.  he could have replaced his ticket at the airport.  first report says he was here for 4 yrs proio to this visit.. so no stranger to Thailand.  if he has mental age fo 12, someone should have taken responsibility for him at home and not let him come. paraylsed down one side.. the pic looks les than convincing of that. 

5 mins of fame at the expense of thai tourism..  but the good news is that, even he, wont be daft enough to come back, so no doubt malaga will enjoy next years report

Nice one Tommy, presume you (fab 103) would not buy this story?

Seems the Daily Record has.cheesy.gif

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 2

Nice one Tommy, presume you (fab 103) would not buy this story?

Seems the Daily Record has.cheesy.gif

it just doesnt add up for numerous reasons.  4k cash in his sky rocket.. too sounds a long shot.  but even if it were true, or parts of it true, the rest of it is nonsense for sure.  one call to the airline would have got him a ticket replacement.   his mum could have western unioned cash over.  and all the rest of it adds up to a front page story to sell a rag.

"

Quote...William, 43, is now back home in Shawlands after his mum Margaret, 61, paid for his flight.He had lived in Thailand for four years and had flown back to see his girlfriend at New Year.

so he knew the country here for 4 years!  and wandered around with 4K in his pocket.  Mummy could have helped with a little cash if she coughted up for a replacement ticket.

naaaaaaaaaaah  ot for me ronnie.  (I am going with the 2 white rabbits that escaped from a French zoo and boarded a plane to thailand, only to be discovered breeding in a beer crate on beach road...:) )

May same people do not understand clear.  If have a normal Tourist Visa and like to stay longer, he can extended. If is denied from Immigration, then he have to live the country, as he is a TOURIST only. He can make a new Visa in his country.

If he not respect the law of the guest country, he get hit. This normal cultural in Asian.thumbsup.gif

No safety net in Thailand. In the UK, violent criminals and people who haven't done a tap in their entire lives are given free Play Stations by the government as well as free housing, cash, etc.

In Thailand, the welfare state is your own money, then family, friends and position in society. It seems Mr Crook scored zero on all counts. When that is the case, Thailand can be utterly merciless. It would have been a lot worse for him if he had been Thai.

Must have been a surprise for him.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the guy and glad he is home again but how can you lose a plane ticket? Aren't they all e-tickets nowadays?

Yessss, plus with one's name I guess  the company would find the reservation whistling.gifpfffff