Want to live in Thailand but only 33

What are my options?  I'd like to live part year in Thailand with my Thai wife.  What is the max number of visa days I can obtain at my age?  I haven't done the ED visa yet but that does has it's limits and I'd like to keep it for a rainy day.

I lived in Thailand before for several years but I was doing the overstay thingie. lol.  Obviously I can't do that again.  I'd like to keep it legal this time(i have to).

Thanks.

You can get a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank or 40k baht income. You could get a re-entry permit for when you want to travel.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa that would give you 90 day entries for a year.

• Like 1

How do I show I have 40,000 baht a month income?  Does the 40k need to be deposited into my bank account each month to show them?

Income from within Thailand is shown with tax documents (and WP)

Income from abroad is shown with a letter from your embassy, your embassy determines what they accept as proof. Check their website for more info.

• Like 1

You can get a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank or 40k baht income. You could get a re-entry permit for when you want to travel.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa that would give you 90 day entries for a year.

Ubonjoe, you are the expert on Visa.  I am getting a non-immigrant O-A, multiple entries.  Is it true that if I leave the country, I'll need to get a re-entry permit otherwise my Visa will be void when I try to get back in?  It doesn't make sense to me, why pay for multiple entries?  I heard that the re-entry permit is 1900 Bahts for a single entry.  Can you please confirm?  Thanks for your advice.

If you have a VALID multiple entry visa and plan to come back before the visa itself expires, you d not need a re-entry permit.

You need a re=entry permit when you are on an extension of stay or have a valid multiple entry visa but plan to come back after the visa has expired.

Fee is 1,000 for a single re-entry permit and 3,800 for a multiple.

If you have a multiple entry visa you don't need a reentry permit, but you can stay only 90 days per entry.

If you have a 1 year extension based on marriage you need a reentry permit if you don't want to loose this extension when leaving the country.

If you have a multiple entry visa you don't need a reentry permit, but you can stay only 90 days per entry.

If you have a 1 year extension based on marriage you need a reentry permit if you don't want to loose this extension when leaving the country.

He can stay 1 year

Ubonjoe, you are the expert on Visa.  I am getting a non-immigrant O-A, multiple entries.  Is it true that if I leave the country, I'll need to get a re-entry permit otherwise my Visa will be void when I try to get back in?  It doesn't make sense to me, why pay for multiple entries?  I heard that the re-entry permit is 1900 Bahts for a single entry.  Can you please confirm?  Thanks for your advice.

If you have an OA Multi Entry long stay Visa you will be stamped in for 12 mths. You make 90 day reports to your local Immigration (if you stay 90 days). On each re entry you will be stamped in again for 12mths upto the validity date of the Visa. So if you leave at some point and return just before the 12 mths expires you will get another 12mths stamp, its in the second year that should you wish to leave you will require a re entry permit. Single 1000 THB  Multi 3800 THB.

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 1

He can stay 1 year

Yes but he should do the Re-entry permit every time he leaves Thailand.

He can stay 1 year

Only in his 2nd year He has stated he has a Multy Entry Non OA, that enables him to come and go during the first 12 mths upto the validity of his visa without a re-entry permit. Its a Multy Entry Visa.

Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 1

What if his Thai wife wants to keep HIM... as a "househusband"

Or does the law prevent them living together?

And if they have children, and he wants to look after them, because the wife earns lots of money....

(For example she works "nights"....)

A bugger of a situation. Perhaps yu can find a job with a Thai company? Means lousy salary, but a long stay visa.

The other one to consider - at least for 3 years  - is the good old Ed visa.

I empathise - I first discovered Thailand at your age, but had to wait 20 years for the pieces to fall into place that allowed me to stay here easily. During that time, I used many ways to ensure I could spend as much time as possible in LOS.  Good Luck!!!

He can stay 1 year

Only in his 2nd year He has stated he has a Multy Entry Non OA, that enables him to come and go during the first 12 mths upto the validity of his visa without a re-entry permit. Its a Multy Entry Visa.

And after the 2nd year?  Do you have to apply for new Non OA out of country or continue the same policy as 2nd year?

And after the 2nd year?  Do you have to apply for new Non OA out of country or continue the same policy as 2nd year?

After 2nd year will have to get a new visa, or an extension of stay.

ED visa is no good if you want to spend only 6 months a year here.

Maybe you could adopt a child or a dog or a very old Thai person, then go for a 6 month ED visa combined with a 6 month W..T..F.. visa.

Edited by bertty

Otherwise you could end up making the wrong decision ... If for example - 70 % said they like the sweeter ice cream but 90% of that sub group say they would just as likely to come back if only the less sweet version was available

And if the other 30% who liked the less sweet version...25% said they would be less likely to return if only the sweeter ice cream was available....

That would give you a very different result and plan moving forward than just a simple question of which do you like A or B...

What if his Thai wife wants to keep HIM... as a "househusband"

Or does the law prevent them living together?

And if they have children, and he wants to look after them, because the wife earns lots of money....

(For example she works "nights"....)

then she can put 400K baht in HIS bank account and he can get an extension of stay

He can stay 1 year

He don't need any re-entry permit with a valid multiple entry visa