Thai Cuisine for Cardiovascular Health

Water Buffalo

Hi everyone,

I am trying to make some lifestyle changes to be healthier.  I am 27, a bit overweight, and have per-hypertension.  I have no idea about my cholesterol numbers or anything else like that.

I understand exercise is key as well, but i am interested in discussing diet.

As much as i love the food here, i guess most Thai dishes are high in salt and sugar.  Not to mention fried.

So what dishes are healthy here?  If you were concerned about your heart health, what would you eat here regularly?wai2.gif

I would worry about the sugar, the low quality carbohydrates (white rice) and the poor quality old cheap oil.

Well and the hygienic problem and hormones in the meat.

And chemicals in the fish + vegetables

did I forgot something?

• Like 2

It might be easier and better to rule dishes out than in, a fast brain dump:

Avoid white rice, brown or red rice is healthier.
Avoid noodles made from rice which means just about any Asian noodles - egg noodles as in Italian spaghetti is far better for you.
Stay away from fried food, it's a no brainer really but it's actually quite hard to do.
Stir fried food can be OK, just ask for "no added sugar" (mai sai nam tarn).
Avoid all refined carbs, spring rolls, bread, cakes, cookies, soft drinks and fruit juice etc.
Go low glycemic on the vegetables, asparagus, broccoli and spinach are excellent, root crops such as potato are not.
Get your protein from lean meats, pork loin or chicken breast, not ground pork.
All fish is good salmon or oily fish is better.
Avoid sauces on meats, barbecue sauce etc usually contain large amounts of sugar and sauce - eat the meat plain or with spices only.
Snack on nuts (not peanuts), watch your fruit intake, many fruit contains lots of calories.
Eat oatmeal for breakfast, it works wonders on cholesterol and blood sugar levels.

+1. Excellent post.

Oat bran--if you can stand it--is a bit better than oatmeal. Suggest also flaxseed, ground.

http://shesimmers.com/2011/08/thai-food-for-low-carbers.html

It might be easier and better to rule dishes out than in, a fast brain dump:

Avoid white rice, brown or red rice is healthier.
Avoid noodles made from rice which means just about any Asian noodles - egg noodles as in Italian spaghetti is far better for you.
Stay away from fried food, it's a no brainer really but it's actually quite hard to do.
Stir fried food can be OK, just ask for "no added sugar" (mai sai nam tarn).
Avoid all refined carbs, spring rolls, bread, cakes, cookies, soft drinks and fruit juice etc.
Go low glycemic on the vegetables, asparagus, broccoli and spinach are excellent, root crops such as potato are not.
Get your protein from lean meats, pork loin or chicken breast, not ground pork.
All fish is good salmon or oily fish is better.
Avoid sauces on meats, barbecue sauce etc usually contain large amounts of sugar and sauce - eat the meat plain or with spices only.
Snack on nuts (not peanuts), watch your fruit intake, many fruit contains lots of calories.
Eat oatmeal for breakfast, it works wonders on cholesterol and blood sugar levels.

+1. Excellent post.

Oat bran--if you can stand it--is a bit better than oatmeal. Suggest also flaxseed, ground.

http://shesimmers.com/2011/08/thai-food-for-low-carbers.html

I eat some musli, that contains no sugar, add approx 30 % oatmeal (it already contains oatmeal) and for taste protein powder.

While of course it has carbs, it tastes way better than pure oatmeal. I think it is a good compromise and a good breakfast.

• Like 1

When I visit Thailand or eat out at a restaurant anywhere, I just look for what I think is the healthiest dish on the menu.

I'm not vegetarian, but when I'm at home, my wife or I will prepare meals maybe at least half the time that are compliant in being plant based, with no oil, animal, dairy, or added sugar or salt.  Some people I've read about have had heart disease or other major health issues and are 100% compliant with this diet.  If anything, it allows me to focus on eating more vegetables, something I've never been very good at doing in the past.

When I visit Thailand or eat out at a restaurant anywhere, I just look for what I think is the healthiest dish on the menu.

I'm not vegetarian, but when I'm at home, my wife or I will prepare meals maybe at least half the time that are compliant in being plant based, with no oil, animal, dairy, or added sugar or salt.  Some people I've read about have had heart disease or other major health issues and are 100% compliant with this diet.  If anything, it allows me to focus on eating more vegetables, something I've never been very good at doing in the past.

I would like to eat more sea-food, but on the prawn I worry about the antibiotics and other chemicals. My wife always asks if they are from the sea or from the farm, and I can't recall that I ever heard farm. So 99.99 % of all prawns sold in Thailand must be from the sea ---- or they lie ---.

When I am somewhere on an island I like the fish, but whatever I buy in Bangkok doesn't taste good to me. I guess it is old and not so tasty anymore. If I don't like it I don't eat it, I won't overrule the last traces of instincts we still have and considering how often my wife felt bad after eating it, I think my "taste not good" instinct is exactly right.

Fish surely a good addition to healthy food. If someone knows how to get good fish in BKK??

I would like to eat more sea-food, but on the prawn I worry about the antibiotics and other chemicals. My wife always asks if they are from the sea or from the farm, and I can't recall that I ever heard farm. So 99.99 % of all prawns sold in Thailand must be from the sea ---- or they lie ---.

When I am somewhere on an island I like the fish, but whatever I buy in Bangkok doesn't taste good to me. I guess it is old and not so tasty anymore. If I don't like it I don't eat it, I won't overrule the last traces of instincts we still have and considering how often my wife felt bad after eating it, I think my "taste not good" instinct is exactly right.

Fish surely a good addition to healthy food. If someone knows how to get good fish in BKK??

I'm not fat but do have high cholesterol. Doc said to avoid prawns at all costs.

To the OP go and get your blood tested to get a baseline of where your cholesterol, LDL, HDL Triglycerides etc etc are currently at.

It may save your life.

A friend of mine had a heart attack at 19 and fortunately survived. he was a little overweight but had a very poor diet/lifestyle back then.

Another friend, fit as a fiddle - rode a bike 20+ k's a day, played sport every weekend dropped dead at 40. As did his brother, and father before him. They were all from Tonga which has a bad reputation for high cholesterol via diet and hereditary reasons.

Reiterating my earlier comment  - go and get yourself checked out now. There most likely won't be anything to be concerned about but better safe than sorry.

Then start looking at the appropriate food choices. 

I'm not fat but do have high cholesterol. Doc said to avoid prawns at all costs.

To the OP go and get your blood tested to get a baseline of where your cholesterol, LDL, HDL Triglycerides etc etc are currently at.

It may save your life.

A friend of mine had a heart attack at 19 and fortunately survived. he was a little overweight but had a very poor diet/lifestyle back then.

Another friend, fit as a fiddle - rode a bike 20+ k's a day, played sport every weekend dropped dead at 40. As did his brother, and father before him. They were all from Tonga which has a bad reputation for high cholesterol via diet and hereditary reasons.

Reiterating my earlier comment  - go and get yourself checked out now. There most likely won't be anything to be concerned about but better safe than sorry.

Really? I always thought that prawns are almost fat-free and only protein.....But I must admit I never verified if it is true.

It may save your life.

Really? I always thought that prawns are almost fat-free and only protein.....But I must admit I never verified if it is true.

Super bad for cholesterol, there's nothing worse, coconut is next on that list..

Edited by chiang mai

Being pre hypertensive myself one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself is to supplement with cayenne pepper. This will regulate your blood pressure without synthetic yuk drugs -see you tube for making tincture with the dry peppers, I don't go anywhere without my tincture and if I feel bp has risen, a few drops puts my heart rate back to normal and bp is stabilised.
Keep away from cheap oils and low quality food. Oatmeal is excellent and only eat a plain diet as healthily as you can.
If you are in a situation where someone is having a heart attack or about to go into cardiac arrest a dose of cayenne pepper (hotter the better) will usually bring the person around until medical help arrives.try google for benefits eat food as fresh and not fried as possible.
Excercise is so important, as are vitamin supplements you are what you eat!
  • Like 1

It may save your life.

Super bad for cholesterol, there's nothing worse, coconut is next on that list..

old fairy tale, since years abolished and the same applies to damnation of eggs. three eggs per day, twice a week a huge portion of shrimps/prawns.

this is my result:

[attachment=277416:chol.JPG]

show me yours please.

Edited by Naam
  • Like 1

old fairy tale, since years abolished and the same applies to damnation of eggs.

I disagree, so does the medical profession:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-cholesterol.php

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/foods-to-avoid-for-high-cholesterol

BTW it's the saturated fat content of coconut that is the issue, not the direct supply of cholesterol itself, the one however begets the other..

Edited by chiang mai

You should check your colesterol anyway....a wery easy blood-test.
The resoult can give you a good indication what to eat and not !
1-300 bath in a normal hospital.

And yes...avoid white rice if you can, and of course sticky rice.

Good luck !

It may save your life.

Thank you! Never knew this....

No fat and still a lot cholesterol.....very interesting

"Sugar, The Bitter Truth" by Dr Lustig is a real eye opener: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Eggs are close to a perfect food, especially free range organic. Prawns are good but should (in general) be natural not farmed.

I would worry about the sugar, the low quality carbohydrates (white rice) and the poor quality old cheap oil.

Well and the hygienic problem and hormones in the meat.

And chemicals in the fish + vegetables

did I forgot something?

You most certainly did.

SALT.

The man said he had hypertension - high blood pressure. The main driver for high blood pressure is SALT.

This is an ingredient in most Thai food, they use way too much. The only way to avoid it is to make your own food, or have your woman make it but be sure to ban salt completely from the house.

You won't be deficient if you don't add any salt - there is enough in your normal diet without having to add any. We add it because it makes food tastier. Think about when we evolved - no added salt in the diet - we did alright!

And sauces are very high in salt. If you use any sauces like soy for example. look at the label. You will see they contain massive amounts of salt.

Just been diagnosed with cancer - found out accidentally while having an ERCP to remove a blocked gall stone in bile duct.

not surprisingly, most of us have had cancer but our immune system keeps killing it.

Cancer loves sugar - so a big start is to reduce / eliminate it.

Bear this in mind - 

The medical and pharmecutical capitalistic wheel wants to treat you.

The average physician spends only 10 hours during their 4-6 year course on nutrition - so what do they really know about nutrition.

They know how to write prescriptions so you can buy drugs. 555

They deal with symptoms - but not the cause.

The cause - is diet.

After reading lots of research - 

Fix the diet.

Out.

Cigarettes, sugar, alcohol, processed foods, coffee, Hydrogenated oils, Artificial colourings, Preservatives, MSG, Bleached white flour, Aspartame, GMO, Food enhancers, PLASTICS, acidic ph level, chemotherapy, vaccinations, toxicity, deficiencies.

In / considerations.

Reduce inflammation, exercise, Vitamin D3 supplement, Zinc, organic plant based diet, intravenous Vitamin C injections, Baking Soda, increase cholesterol level to help re-build cells???, a healthy and positive attitude.

Baking soda - helps get PH back to just alkaline

Cholesterol - check these out regarding the myths out there.

http://www.whale.to/a/cholesterol.html

http://www.thincs.org/WAPF2003.htm

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/133685.The_Cholestrol_Myths

http://www.ravnskov.nu/uffe.htm

Oh, and palm oil is extremely bad for you - but is used extensively.  WHY - because it is CHEAP.

A couple of sites that have helped in my own food choices.

To find the ratios of omega-3 to omega-6 in various food items just do a search for "fast learner omega-3"

I also like to keep track of what elders eat in their traditional diets from around the world, and at the same time show signs of longevity.  I incorporate what I can learn from them into my own diet using similar foods.  Favourite  site for that is "Blue Zones".  Also a number of videos at YouTube.

• Like 1

Being pre hypertensive myself one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself is to supplement with cayenne pepper. This will regulate your blood pressure without synthetic yuk drugs -see you tube for making tincture with the dry peppers, I don't go anywhere without my tincture and if I feel bp has risen, a few drops puts my heart rate back to normal and bp is stabilised.

Utter nonsense, of course.  You can't "feel" your blood pressure and there's no correlation between pulse rate and blood pressure.  You can however buy an Omron blood pressure measuring device and monitor your bp at home so that you know what you are talking about.

• Like 2