Seen new bird (to me) today

worgeordie

In my garden today, seen a House crow Corvus splendens ,never

seen this species around here before,but maybe i don't get out

and about enough.

I know they are very common in parts of India and seen lots in

Sri Lanka,but on Wikipedia it says possibly extinct in Thailand.

Now the twichers will report that they are all over Chiang Mai,

for those that know is there any other bird around here that

could be mistaken for this species ?

regards Worgeordie

Are not crows suppose to be a really smart bird? Maybe you should try to get him/her into politics.

Well i am sure they would have a higher IQ than many that where in

the previous Govt.

regards Worgeordie

Not a Kingfisher by any chance?

17108249-common-kingfisher.jpg

They're somewhat similar ... 2 wings, 2 legs, blue(ish) ... >

Huiskraai06.jpg

They might look the same to a blind man, no i used to see kingfishers at the small river at back of

our house,but not for a few years now,

regards Worgeordie

^ Ok, just wondering because we have a magnificent blue Kingfisher visit our khlong some days. Black and white wading birds with all-black feathered chicks follow me around the garden and enjoy grubs I dig up. Any idea what species they might be?

^ Ok, just wondering because we have a magnificent blue Kingfisher visit our khlong some days. Black and white wading birds with all-black feathered chicks follow me around the garden and enjoy grubs I dig up. Any idea what species they might be?

Hi Rob , those sound like White breasted waterhens, Amauronis phoenicurus, do the have large feet?,

we have quite a few of those in the river at rear of the house,they can be a bit nosy when they start

calling, they have fluffy black chicks.

regards Worgeordie

Hi Rob , those sound like White breasted waterhens, Amauronis phoenicurus, do the have large feet?,

we have quite a few of those in the river at rear of the house,they can be a bit nosy when they start

calling, they have fluffy black chicks.

regards Worgeordie

We have those nesting in the papyrus in the corner of our fish pond. Beautiful birds. Kingfisher visits occasionally . Loads of mynahs, & pigeons, but not the city types. An oasis in the middle of rice fields sprayed with pesticides, birds hunted at night.....

I can't recall ever seeing a crow in Chiang Mai which seems strange but they are very easy to see in Bangkok. I did see an asian openbill stork few weeks ago near Maejo. That was a first for me up north but easy to see around Bangkok.

I can't recall ever seeing a crow in Chiang Mai which seems strange but they are very easy to see in Bangkok. I did see an asian openbill stork few weeks ago near Maejo. That was a first for me up north but easy to see around Bangkok.

Those openbill storks are quite common now out in the rice fields. South of San Kamphaeng.

Waterhens (thanks Wg) and coucans we have plenty of. Noisy feckers in the early am but lovely birds!

White-breasted_Waterhen_(Amaurornis_phoe

I'll take noisy birds any time rather than the local village idiot headman with his morning rant announcements bah.gif

If you could actually photograph it and get verification this researcher would like to hear about it - http://www.housecrow.com/

His map doesn't show them in Thailand but in Mynamar which may be close enough for them to get to Chiang Mai.

Intentional misspelling on an avian topic biggrin.png

laugh.png

Must still had this guy on my mind that I photoed yesterday. A fearless Myna that wanted to be friends as he ran right up to me and stood by my feet and kept following me around. biggrin.png

14795152853_60f561ab31_z.jpg

Well thats defiantly what it was,as i was less than 2 mtrs away from

it when it landed on my garden fence,seen me and flew off,i have seen

them in other paces in SE Asia,is there any other bird around Chiang Mai

that looks anything like the House Crow, I have lived in my house for nearly

25 year so know what birds are around.but i knew this was special as i had

never seen anything like it,around here before.

regards worgeordie

regards worgeordie

I know exactly how you feel, worgeordie.... defiant (your word!). I was once sitting in the back of a songthaew when we stopped by the traffic lights outside the Rincome Hotel, and there was a European Starling feeding on the grass verge. Nobody would believe me, though they do occur occasionally.

regards worgeordie

Very likely as you got a good look, and they still exist not too far away (as the crow flies).

regards worgeordie

I know exactly how you feel, worgeordie.... defiant (your word!). I was once sitting in the back of a songthaew when we stopped by the traffic lights outside the Rincome Hotel, and there was a European Starling feeding on the grass verge. Nobody would believe me, though they do occur occasionally.

I do believe you Isanbirder. My friend saw one at the hot springs - on way to Sam Kanpaeng last january. No way he would have made a mistake. He has over fifty years of birding and is a biologist by profession. Also very familiar with Starlings.

Dollar Bird (the are coloured, but can be quite drab also) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollarbird or (although usually obvious due to their bright plumage) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Roller. Could also be a Pitta, many types pass through Thailand this time of the year - some are quite drab, various thrushes too (some a just passers through so not common). Vented Nuthatch? Common Woodshrike http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Woodshrike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashy_Drongo is quite crow like - and both resident and passer by. There are also various crows (I believe the House Crow is extinct in Thailand though) and Magpies (like Black Magpie perhaps).

Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Thailand