Who's this elite card for?

Still is a good option for some people, should be cool if can be paid in quotes

The option of 1M 5 years per family, can be very helpful meaning parents, wife, children

I don't know how my parents can come to live with me but this create a expensive one possibility, but better than nothing

Still the price is excessive, I checked the benefits and the business partners and not look so credible.

This will work only because the crackdown I don't think in another way that this can be possible.

Notice that there is a yearly fee of 200k or 20k, someone can confirm this?

The annual fee is for the 20 year one only. I agree I know the crackdown swayed my choice to have it but to be honest looking at what I can save I would have done it anyway regardless. The annual fee for the 20 year one makes sure they still have revenue coming in. You get a lot more perks with the 20 year version but if you break it down the 5 year one costs the same. It looks like the are making it more finanicaily viable over the long run so they dont get in the same mess they did in 2011. But again even then they never cancelled one visa.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bim,

Do you have options to pay the Elite Card or is just one big pay at once?

Hi its a one off payment. Theres nothing on the website to suggest any other way but no harm in sending an email to them to be sure.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't know how my parents can come to live with me but this create a expensive one possibility, but better than nothing

If you are on an ED visa, and you parents are older than 50, they can get an extension to stay on clause 2.11. Will need to show 500,000 Bt in bank, that money remains yours. They alos will have to extend every 90 days for Bt. 1,900.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf

They will need to come on a Non-O visa, I suppose it should be given on the same basis.

Edited by paz

paz you seem to follow every elite thread with saying ed visa this ed visa that

serms eithef you work for an ed visa company or just playing devils advocate and spreading spurious misinformation on why peole shouldnt go for an elite but rather an ed visa which seems the next big crackdown coming for immigration

honestly every thread on elite you on it with every answer ed visa

maybe you should just give up following the elite threads snd stay on tbe ed visa threads

paz you seem to follow every elite thread with saying ed visa this ed visa that

serms eithef you work for an ed visa company or just playing devils advocate and spreading spurious misinformation on why peole shouldnt go for an elite but rather an ed visa which seems the next big crackdown coming for immigration

honestly every thread on elite you on it with every answer ed visa

maybe you should just give up following the elite threads snd stay on tbe ed visa threads

Mod in training? Wait unless you graduate before recalling people on what they can or can't write about.

From previous postings I know that ITGabs is interested in studying and getting an ED visa, from that my specific answer.

Other than that anyone that reads here can tell if I work for an "ED visa company" or spread misinformation, but I'll make it clear to you - no, and no.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

the elite card is for you, if you are a

500x500_sucker2-e1303594311828.jpg

elite farang cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Why? What disadvantages do you think the card has for those that can afford it and are looking for a visa?

I guess you forgot your brain at the airport.... lol, thats so obvious!

First let me tell you, i work as an engineer, i can buy one , and if i do, thats will be the most stupid thing i will ever docheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

i have at least a few dozen arguments, so where i start? mmmmh no need to think any longer that just plain stupid! laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

ps: even if i was Bill Gates, that will still be the most stupid thing to dothumbsup.gif

Yeah, great answer, really illuminating. mellow.png

Please, someone, fill me in:

What is all this about 500K, over 50, or under 50.

Please tell it to me in a nutshell:

What is the MOST cost effective way IF....

A. I want to do the Ed Visa which I think someone mentioned,

B. The over 50 method, someone also mentioned.

C. The under 50 method.

Also, please calculate that one could reasonable expect to earn 7 or 8 percent in a safe investment by choosing a different instrument than a Bank CD, or whatever you do with it in the Thai Bank.

Just please make it very simple and clear.

Thank you.

(And please clarify what you mean by leaving the country once per year, since this adds up counting money and stress.)

ITGabs, post # 300 said, "This will work only by the visa crackdown I don't think in another way that this can be possible.".

Perhaps that is the motive, to have foreigners buy the card rather than doing visa runs, etc., and in so doing, an unintended consequence, save themselves some money.

It will, of course, exclude those who can't scrape 500K together, those on aged pensions from 'home', without any significant assets, only a pension income.

The Elite Card is probably perfect for some people. And I don't see any reason for people to criticise those who opt for this product.

However, in the context of the general policy towards foreigners, it sends a message that may have unintended consequences.

Immigration rules, regulations and enforcement are in a constant state of flux and ambiguity. We never know precisely where we stand and this would seem to be intentional.

You want to avoid a life of uncertainty? No problem, half a million baht please.

But the more a person is independent and thoughtful, the more they would view this option as a bureaucratic extortion racket and the more they would be offended by it out of principle. And perhaps this explain its less than stellar performance.

To be secure and effective, monopolies and official gangsterism, should as much as possible be discrete - they should also be utterly reliable and front up with maximal credibility, to augment rationale confidence. The Elite Card breaks all these rules and then some. It is a transparently vulgar grab for cash. Which is fine when you're negotiating for territorial rights with a Mexican drug cartel - but it falls short the prerequisite élan one would expect from a government and thus is disservice to it.

• Like 1

The Elite Card is probably perfect for some people. And I don't see any reason for people to criticise those who opt for this product.

However, in the context of the general policy towards foreigners, it sends a message that may have unintended consequences.

Immigration rules, regulations and enforcement are in a constant state of flux and ambiguity. We never know precisely where we stand and this would seem to be intentional.

You want to avoid a life of uncertainty? No problem, half a million baht please.

But the more a person is independent and thoughtful, the more they would view this option as a bureaucratic extortion racket and the more they would be offended by it out of principle. And perhaps this explain its less than stellar performance.

To be secure and effective, monopolies and official gangsterism, should as much as possible be discrete - they should also be utterly reliable and front up with maximal credibility, to augment rationale confidence. The Elite Card breaks all these rules and then some. It is a transparently vulgar grab for cash. Which is fine when you're negotiating for territorial rights with a Mexican drug cartel - but it falls short the prerequisite élan one would expect from a government and thus is disservice to it.

The US and UK have the same. Why not Thailand. Getting a little tired of all this Thai bashing mainly from those who thought they could live here on the cheap.

My whole life will not fall apart if I am not living in Thailand.

And that's the difference between you and several of us who have decided that the 500K ThB Elite Easy Access card is our least worst choice, at present - we have non-financial considerations to take into account.

Edited by disambiguated

Elite Card is not a work permit. You still can't legally work in Thailand.

Work?

Why?

If you can afford an Elite Card, why would you work?

Buy a membership in the Thailand Elite program and start enjoying Thailand right away !

It's a "work permit" that you need to work... This has nothing to do with the Thailand Elite program and the Elite card.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 2

REPLY From GrantBKK

Hi Christie. Very well written post even including élan and gangsterism, flux and extortion racket, making profound statements while at the same time promoting a questionable hypothesis. Do you really think the long game of the coup makers is to extort money from the 20 to 50 crowd? With everything that is happening right now in this country the powers that be decided to enforce current visa laws to sell a card invented a dozen years ago by the arch enemy Thaksin? You should be a fiction writer specializing in conspiracy theory.

The Elite Card is just an option for those who want or need it. The Baht 500K card option is fairly new and makes the card available to a wider range of potential buyers. It happens to be available to a select group that need viable options to remain in this country after the "crackdown". Don't be a hater. The Elite Card program has survived may deaths and is billions of Baht in debt. If your worried about profit from this program it will be another ten years before they could possible break even. I know a guy on his third five year visa and he swears by the Elite Card. He has never had any problems other than some of the privileges constantly being in a state of "flux". Nothing major just the daily massages and some golf benefits being changed around.

I have no doubt that the legalities of canceling the program saved it at least twice. The government and Thai Elite know absolutely that money will have to be refunded to everyone in full to the early adopters as the privileges were for life and transferable. That and the negative impact and losing face contributed to saving the scheme. I guess the fear of law suits from rich people around the world actually contributed to us having these conversations.

Edited by grantbkk

Elite Card is not a work permit. You still can't legally work in Thailand.

Work?

Why?

If you can afford an Elite Card, why would you work?

Buy a membership in the Thailand Elite program and start enjoying Thailand right away !

It's a "work permit" that you need to work... This has nothing to do with the Thailand Elite program and the Elite card.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My thoughts exactly :)
  • Like 1

REPLY From GrantBKK

Hi Christie. Very well written post even including élan and gangsterism, flux and extortion racket, making profound statements while at the same time promoting a questionable hypothesis. Do you really think the long game of the coup makers is to extort money from the 20 to 50 crowd? With everything that is happening right now in this country the powers that be decided to enforce current visa laws to sell a card invented a dozen years ago by the arch enemy Thaksin? You should be a fiction writer specializing in conspiracy theory.

The Elite Card is just an option for those who want or need it. The Baht 500K card option is fairly new and makes the card available to a wider range of potential buyers. It happens to be available to a select group that need viable options to remain in this country after the "crackdown". Don't be a hater. The Elite Card program has survived may deaths and is billions of Baht in debt. If your worried about profit from this program it will be another ten years before they could possible break even. I know a guy on his third five year visa and he swears by the Elite Card. He has never had any problems other than some of the privileges constantly being in a state of "flux". Nothing major just the daily massages and some golf benefits being changed around.

I have no doubt that the legalities of canceling the program saved it at least twice. The government and Thai Elite know absolutely that money will have to be refunded to everyone in full to the early adopters as the privileges were for life and transferable. That and the negative impact and losing face contributed to saving the scheme. I guess the fear of law suits from rich people around the world actually contributed to us having these conversations.

I'm an atheist to the extent that I don't even believe in the validity of my own protestations.

I never inferred, that the Elite Card would'd suit some people perfectly. To the contrary, I said "The Elite Card is probably perfect for some people. And I don't see any reason for people to criticise those who opt for this product."

My remarks where focused on the unintended consequences of the scheme, inasmuch there would be seem to reliable evidence or at least stunning coincidence, that it is a solution for a problem, manufactured by those who stand to gain from its proliferation. This is a fairly standard but ruthless approach in business and explains why every electronic gadget has different bloody plug. Why so many spare parts are differentiated not according to technical requirement but to force you to purchase from a particular manufacturer. And why luggage porters at Denpasar airport hide the luggage trolleys. It goes on and on.

Authorities so misjudged the sensibilities of well heeled travellers and those with multiple residency arrangements, to such an extent that millions of these folk took a look at the deal and rejected it. This is catastrophic.

I'm no elite myself but have spread my pithy assets over several jurisdictions, I thought that was normal for any person who has some perspective on the history of geopolitics and rudimentary investing.

There are companies that offer advise to governments and clients on such matters. It is a very competitive field with such players as Switzerland, Andorra and many others in the running. It is a game in which Thailand put its credibility, price and perceived convenience on the line, to the most influential people in the world. These people have maps and they compare their options.

• Like 1

REPLY From GrantBKK

I'm an atheist to the extent that I don't even believe in the validity of my own protestations.

I never inferred, that the Elite Card would'd suit some people perfectly. To the contrary, I said "The Elite Card is probably perfect for some people. And I don't see any reason for people to criticise those who opt for this product."

My remarks where focused on the unintended consequences of the scheme, inasmuch there would be seem to reliable evidence or at least stunning coincidence, that it is a solution for a problem, manufactured by those who stand to gain from its proliferation. This is a fairly standard but ruthless approach in business and explains why every electronic gadget has different bloody plug. Why so many spare parts are differentiated not according to technical requirement but to force you to purchase from a particular manufacturer. And why luggage porters at Denpasar airport hide the luggage trolleys. It goes on and on.

Authorities so misjudged the sensibilities of well heeled travellers and those with multiple residency arrangements, to such an extent that millions of these folk took a look at the deal and rejected it. This is catastrophic.

I'm no elite myself but have spread my pithy assets over several jurisdictions, I thought that was normal for any person who has some perspective on the history of geopolitics and rudimentary investing.

There are companies that offer advise to governments and clients on such matters. It is a very competitive field with such players as Switzerland, Andorra and many others in the running. It is a game in which Thailand put its credibility, price and perceived convenience on the line, to the most influential people in the world. These people have maps and they compare their options.

Damn your good!

You are correct in that the Elite Card scheme totally failed and bit the government right on the butt for more than a decade. With this new offering combined with the immigration crackdown, coincidence or not, is fortuitous for some of us under certain circumstances.

I have a month to either extend my OA visa or grab one of these 5 year visas while still available.

• Like 1

REPLY From GrantBKK

There could be also a terrible earthquake which would make the Thailand Elite membership useless, a galactic war, a global rich capitalists' economy vampires' witch hunt, ... or maybe just a deadly car accident the week after having joined the Thailand Elite program... Everything is indeed possible, even if it is an extremely remote probability.

10 years ago I did not think much before to buy the card, and till now I enjoy the membership and its privileges.

And I can expect many more years of comfortable stays in Thailand.

Come on guys, enjoy life with the Elite card rather than worry and make calculations or improbable speculations.

And, after all, the price of the membership is not THAT outrageous...

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Elite card just seems more like a way to make money off people working illegaly, Seems good for anyone that wants to stay in thailand long term but for the majority of people they only want to stay 1-2 years and a 5 year commitment is just too much. Makes more sense for people that are working here illegaly to buy it as they can then work and not have to worry about visas, of course a few rich people will buy it.

Elite card just seems more like a way to make money off people working illegaly, Seems good for anyone that wants to stay in thailand long term but for the majority of people they only want to stay 1-2 years and a 5 year commitment is just too much. Makes more sense for people that are working here illegaly to buy it as they can then work and not have to worry about visas, of course a few rich people will buy it.

You cannot work with the Elite visa and if its found you are it will more likely be revoked. No one says you have to stay for 5 years it multi entry and you can come and go with ease thats the point of those who can afford it. Edited by bim

You cannot work with the Elite visa and if its found you are it will more likely be revoked. No one says you have to stay for 5 years it multi entry and you can come and go with ease thats the point of those who can afford it.

Cannot work on visa exempts and tourist visas either but people do. That is the point it is really only makes sense for people who want to live here continually and most of them would be working wether illegaly here or for an overseas company. please note i said most not all, I am sure some very rich people would buy it or people who live here and have < 5-10 years before retiring here but I do not think they will be the majority.

And that's the difference between you and several of us who have decided that the 500K ThB Elite Easy Access card is our least worst choice, at present - we have non-financial considerations to take into account.

I understand many members have financial and/or emotional ties in Thailand. I have the luxury of being able to leave of my own accord, or be refused entry by Thai Immigration, and it's no real big deal for me.

I have a question for you, and other members in a similar position. Have you ever contemplated a day may come when you simply can't live here, for whatever reason? Do you have a "Plan B" - a back up plan?

As foreiginers, we have no right at all to live here. We are all just guests. It doesn't matter how many houses you have bought here or if you have a wife and/or children - you will be on some form of visa.

Any visa can be terminated, at anytime, or, the goal posts changed to make the criteria difficult for many to meet.

You keep hearing the argument, "The Thai Governmnet would never do that because the country would go broke" but it's a serious question.

The Elite Card has come to the rescue of many members, but do you, and others, have a contingency plan for the possibility of not being able to reside here in the future, for whatever reason?

Edited by NamKangMan

I understand many members have financial and/or emotional ties in Thailand. I have the luxury of being able to leave of my own accord, or be refused entry by Thai Immigration, and it's no real big deal for me.

I have a question for you, and other members in a similar position. Have you ever contemplated a day may come when you simply can't live here, for whatever reason? Do you have a "Plan B" - a back up plan?

As foreiginers, we have no right at all to live here. We are all just guests. It doesn't matter how many houses you have bought here or if you have a wife and/or children - you will be on some form of visa.

Any visa can be terminated, at anytime, or, the goal posts changed to make the criteria difficult for many to meet.

You keep hearing the argument, "The Thai Governmnet would never do that because the country would go broke" but it's a serious question.

The Elite Card has come to the rescue of many members, but do you, and others, have a contingency plan for the possibility of not being able to reside here in the future, for whatever reason?

You're right to a point. Can you really see them kicking out people that have the correct visa and have a child?