THAI bans shark fin cargo

webfact

THAI bans shark fin cargo

THAI-bans-shark-fin-cargo-wpcf_728x413.j

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways has released a statement on its Facebook Tuesday banning shark fin on its planes.

THAI said it had a policy in place since July 15 to ban all shark fin products, and had avoided shipping shark fin for over a year beforehand.

A THAI cargo executive Phoonsak Chumchuay said later today that THAI placed great importance in protecting endangered species and the environment.

Shark fin is considered a delicacy in many parts of Asia but results in the slaughter of millions of top-tier predators each year just for the fins.

Earlier a 17-year-old high school student Ob Saiyavath started an online campaign on shark fins. His online petition turned viral when it was championed by the Oceanic Preservation Society and the Freeland Foundation.

The student later said he did not claim the victory for himself, adding this is about the conservation of sharks not about him.

His petition received more than 1,000 signatures in just three days showing how strong the anti-shark fin community is.

The Oceanic Preservation Society had called for a multi-continent protest at Thai Airways counters around the world on Aug 10.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-bans-shark-fin-cargo/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=thai-bans-shark-fin-cargo

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-30

• Like 2

Thai Airways bans shark fin from cargo flights

BANGKOK, July 30, 2014 (AFP) - Thai Airways has banned shark fin from its cargo flights as part of a growing global campaign against the popular delicacy in Asia.

The carrier joins a host of other airlines in taking a stand against shark fin, highly prized by many in the region, especially in Hong Kong and China where it is commonly served as a soup at wedding banquets and corporate parties.

"As part of the world community sharing in the great concern for the protection of endangered species and the environment, Thai Airways International has implemented its own official policy to place an embargo on the shipping of shark fin products," the airline said in a statement Tuesday.

Conservationists say booming demand for fins has put pressure on the world's shark populations, prompting calls for measures to restrict their trade.

Thai Airways officially stopped flying shark fin from 15 July but has avoided shipping fins for over a year, according to the statement.

The move brings the carrier into line with a number of other Asian airlines including Philippine Airlines, which said in April it had stopped flying shark fin cargoes.

Air New Zealand as well as South Korea's two largest airlines, Korean Air and Asiana, separately announced last year that they would ban shark fins from their cargo flights, a year after Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific also stopped shipping them.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-07-30

• Like 1

Disgusting and hard to believe that there are other carriers out of Thailand carrying this type of cargo, Thailand is the pit stop for every sort of deviate behaviour on the planet, if its not human trafficking it's ivory trade and so on, time Thailand tightened the noose on some of this behaviour before the International community gets sick- in tired and sends Thailand to Coventry.bah.gif

• Like 2

Great news. Well done Shark Guardian.

Where was it bound for ,Makro, they seem to have

plenty in stock.

regards Worgeordie

Funny, I always check at the Makro in Rawai and they have never had. I think they know which stores people will complain at. In Phuket there are too many marine conservationists.

• Like 1

Thai Airways bans shark fin from cargo flights

BANGKOK, July 30, 2014 (AFP) - Thai Airways has banned shark fin from its cargo flights as part of a growing global campaign against the popular delicacy in Asia.

The carrier joins a host of other airlines in taking a stand against shark fin, highly prized by many in the region, especially in Hong Kong and China where it is commonly served as a soup at wedding banquets and corporate parties.

"As part of the world community sharing in the great concern for the protection of endangered species and the environment, Thai Airways International has implemented its own official policy to place an embargo on the shipping of shark fin products," the airline said in a statement Tuesday.

Conservationists say booming demand for fins has put pressure on the world's shark populations, prompting calls for measures to restrict their trade.

Thai Airways officially stopped flying shark fin from 15 July but has avoided shipping fins for over a year, according to the statement.

The move brings the carrier into line with a number of other Asian airlines including Philippine Airlines, which said in April it had stopped flying shark fin cargoes.

Air New Zealand as well as South Korea's two largest airlines, Korean Air and Asiana, separately announced last year that they would ban shark fins from their cargo flights, a year after Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific also stopped shipping them.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-07-30

Fantastic news and congratulations to Thai Airways, well done (-:

Please just make sure you enforce the ban on shark fins.

• Like 1

plenty in stock.

regards Worgeordie

Was at Tops today and saw CP brand shark fin microwave type meals.

I will not shop at Makro cash and carry purely because they have fresh caught shark and coral fish species on their fishmongers slab and sell preserved shark fin products.

The attached photo is of Parrot fish at a Makro...disgusting to see!

If you have a conscience about protecting precious marine animals boycott Makro and hit them where it hurts, in their profits.

So you shop at Tesco Lotus and Big-C instead, mai na?

Disgusting and hard to believe that there are other carriers out of Thailand carrying this type of cargo, Thailand is the pit stop for every sort of deviate behaviour on the planet, if its not human trafficking it's ivory trade and so on, time Thailand tightened the noose on some of this behaviour before the International community gets sick- in tired and sends Thailand to Coventry.bah.gif

If it is a legal product it can be transported. It is not the job of the airline to say what products they like or don't like.

The disgusting thing is that it is legal in Thailand.

• Like 2

Okay, okay, how about a "shark farm" ?

Basically, they breed and feed a load of sharks, and harvest them for the fins. This can then be sold for a profit to tourists (or indeed, Thais). Maybe the rest of the shark meat (and other parts) can also be sold for a profit. Is there a problem with this ?

There is absolutely no merit whatsoever in consuming shark fin. It has almost no nutritional value, is practically tasteless (the taste exclusively comes from seasonings, vegetables and the broth), and it looks like gooey vomit. Apart from that, I find the method how it is "harvested" deeply worrisome and strongly oppose that scores of shark species are driven to extinction just because of man's appetite for this disgusting goo.

They say consuming shark fin is prestigious (oh soooo important for some shallow-minded idiots), brings good luck (for whom? the shark?), promotes sexual virility (if you can't get it up, give it up!). The Chinese also value shark fin soup for its crunchy texture. I say: If it's only for the crunch, buy yourself a bag of potato chips!

Says enough, I think.

Thanks for the video, worth a watch everyone, even if unpleasant in places. Gordon at his best and very informative about this industry.

Good move by Thai, just the massive continuing demand across Asia (including Thailand - have several shark fin restaurants near me ) to be addressed....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

There is absolutely no merit whatsoever in consuming shark fin. It has almost no nutritional value, is practically tasteless (the taste exclusively comes from seasonings, vegetables and the broth), and it looks like gooey vomit. Apart from that, I find the method how it is "harvested" deeply worrisome and strongly oppose that scores of shark species are driven to extinction just because of man's appetite for this disgusting goo.

They say consuming shark fin is prestigious (oh soooo important for some shallow-minded idiots), brings good luck (for whom? the shark?), promotes sexual virility (if you can't get it up, give it up!). The Chinese also value shark fin soup for its crunchy texture. I say: If it's only for the crunch, buy yourself a bag of potato chips!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65FgUYdBOc

Says enough, I think.

This video only re-enforces my point of view. Thank you for that, Nampetch.

• Like 2

Good move, I like it.

I've walked out of several wedding receptions and even a couple of business dinners when I found out that shark fin was served, voicing my disapproval in no uncertain terms; and I didn't care whether that offended my hosts or not. Before I accept similar invitations nowadays I inquire explicitly whether shark fin is on the menu. If so, I excuse myself politely, but also make the reason for my decision crystal clear.

Don't forget the high levels of mercury in shark fin.

• Like 1

I think they have already bought the ticket, is a one way ticket.

CAMPAIGN
THAI upset over protest plan, says it has banned shipping of shark fin

Suchat Sritama
The Nation

30239798-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Oceanic Preservation Society (OPS) is preparing to launch a campaign against Thai Airways International (THAI) to protest against the shipping of shark fin.

Members of the society are scheduled to appear at THAI check-in counters at airports in many countries on August 10.

Suraphon Israngura Na Ayuthaya, acting vice president of the airline's commercial department, said THAI had issued an official policy prohibiting cargoes of shark fin and related products this month following a social-media campaign. He added that in reality the airline had stopped transporting shark fin products two years ago.

"There is some misunderstanding that THAI still allows cargo of this sort, which is not true," Suraphon said. Shark-fin soup is not served on board either. He said this policy has been delivered to all THAI offices across the world. "We are the national carrier and do not allow customers to ship or carry shark fin on THAI flights."

In a press release yesterday, THAI said it had implemented a strict policy prohibiting shark fin and related products in its cargo as of July 15.

Other carriers like Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific have already declared a "no shark fin" policy. However, a THAI source said many Chinese airlines and freighters continued shipping shark fin as many buyers are Chinese restaurants.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/THAI-upset-over-protest-plan-says-it-has-banned-sh-30239798.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-31

• Like 1

at last count we had whales elephants dogs sharks patagonian-toothfish dolphins parrot-fish tigers sea-turtles dugong seals on the holier than thou list, growing fast. we'll all be vegetarians in the next decade at this rate

edit: dodos too

Edited by Racist Loser Scum

at last count we had whales elephants dogs sharks patagonian-toothfish dolphins parrot-fish tigers sea-turtles dugong seals on the holier than thou list, growing fast. we'll all be vegetarians in the next decade at this rate

edit: dodos too

Probably not, actually. Since there are still about 50 million species of animal left and you named only eleven. Are you really that upset about not being able to eat elephant, dolphins, sea-turtles, dogs, and tigers?

plenty in stock.

regards Worgeordie

Was at Tops today and saw CP brand shark fin microwave type meals.

I will not shop at Makro cash and carry purely because they have fresh caught shark and coral fish species on their fishmongers slab and sell preserved shark fin products.

The attached photo is of Parrot fish at a Makro...disgusting to see!

If you have a conscience about protecting precious marine animals boycott Makro and hit them where it hurts, in their profits.

So you shop at Tesco Lotus and Big-C instead, mai na?

No i don't.

• 7 months later...

plenty in stock.

regards Worgeordie

Looks like Khun Ob has started a new petition regarding shark fin. This one is directed to Siam Makro CEO, K. Suchada Iuthijarukul, asking Makro to stop selling shark fin products.

If you would like to sign it, here is the link:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Siam_Makro_CEO_Mrs_Suchada_Ithijarukul_Stop_the_sales_of_shark_fin/?wlWWEhb