Help. Advice please.

Exercise everyday. You will feel a million times better. Make a schedule and stick to it. Get a few books about Thai culture- it would probably make it easier to get a long with your Thai wife.

and learning Thai?- probably the best idea mentioned so far.

Edited by bobthomas

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do something that makes you happy ! Here are a few ideas walking, running, fishing, photography, reading, writing, model making,gardening, DIY, painting,learning Thai, vegetable growing, helping within the community, teaching the children in the village English there are loads of things one can do but it is about MOTIVATION which seems to be lacking in your present circumstances
  • Like 1

I live in Bkk so I generally escape toward Pattaya with my car then let her try to find me as she generally try to do.  It is the low season and hotels are at 50% discount, I do not go for other girls but this escape is relaxing for me and makes my wife think about our relationship.  Normally she looks for my car then me.  Also the Chiang Rai khantana resort is now only 1000 Baht instead of 2500 Baht and the swimming pool is lovely. Low season is terrific for me.

I understand how you feel OP. When I was in my ex wife's village (although with her family, so 10x worse than what you feel) when we had a dispute or if I just felt annoyed on account of all the noise, heat and lack of stimulation, there was literally no escape, nothing to do at all. I used to take a walk and in about 15 minutes there would be an Internet cafe full of kids playing shooting games. A 7-11 type shop. Then it would be dead again for the next hour. My lack of thai language meant that I couldn't converse with anyone I saw along the way, even more depressing. Plenty of village folk giggling and commenting at the farang walking down the street (I mean dirt path). This was only staying in this area for a very short time!! Not permanent like yourself. And there were no farang in the village at all

If for some reason that became my lot in life, first thing i would suggest as others have, is that in the short term you HAVE to learn how to deal with the dogs. Read the multitude of threads on it. Once you know how you'll be fine for life, and maybe even get some sadistic pleasure out of it like some posters. Fortunately my ex' place didn't have any bad dogs so I didn't need to experience this. In the long term you MUST learn the language so you can have a quit chat along the way with any passing farmer or whoever else. So step 1 the dogs step 2 get cracking on the language.

In the short term after I've learned how to 'tame' the dogs I'd just keep an iPad handy and when I got to my free space such as the kids Internet cafe, I'd play online poker for real money. It's a real hobby and you need to study it as hard as you study thai, buy books and amerce yourself in it. Joining a poker tournament with a fixed entry fee is no different than a joining a chess tournament with the same terms and conditions. Only in cash games do you get into gambling territory and you need to know what you are doing. Other stress reliever is jogging, fight with the mrs, just stick on the headphones and run out the door. But again depends on controlling those dogs nearby.. And as other poster said, find friends (farang if you can't speak thai) even just as an acquaintance just to have some afternoon BBQ and a beer to get away from the mrs, even if takes an hours drive on the motorbike to get there! Join the issan forum and ask for people in your area or near, then just arrange a meet up. Has to be done

I'm about 30 years away from retirement but if I retired tomorrow and lived in the country such as yourself, I'd focus my efforts on learning the language, playing online poker, importing small gauge out-door railway tracks and trains and building an awesome outdoor mini railway in the garden with lakes and tunnels and miniature temples etc. Get a weights bench and get into lifting. Go jogging. Cycling. Get on your motorbike and go for a long ride, when you've calmed down go to the shop and buy your mrs a little present like her favourite chocolate for your return. Most importantly your should learn how to do something artistic if the modal railway is not your thing, learn to paint or learn an instrument. I couldn't live without my guitar and if I was retired id spent a good few hours ever morning practicing every aspect and becoming as proficient as possible. Ohhh why can't I retire now!! Work sucks Edited by Grindting
  • Like 1

Get a hobby.... a reason to get up in the morning. Golf, fishing, gardening, driving mbike......a gik maybe ! Wonder though why you live in the middle of nowhere and cant speak, enough, thai to engage in conversations with thais. Probably you are lonely there, if so, go every quarter on holiday for a week. Many places to visit in Thailand.

I have a time consuming hobby. I do DIY around the house.

What I need is something to do AWAY from the house in a town where there is nothing to do except shop or eat.

Nothing to do with being lonely and no desire to have a GIK.

< go every quarter on holiday for a week.>

I need something to take me away from the house for a few hours, not days.

Back home, I'd go to the park or a long walk, but here there are no parks and the dogs prevent going for walks.

You don't say where you live, but it sound like somewhere in the sticks. Are the dogs really that hostile? In my experience, if you behave sensibly, their bark tends to be worse than their bite. I used to carry a stick to ward them off when I walked, but that just made them mad and aggressive. So I left the stick at home and adopted the following procedure if I saw dogs ahead of me: 

1 Don't show fear or apprehension. Walk confidently while speaking softly in Thai as you approach their "territory" - anything will do, such as sawatee krap or mahnee duhn, or whatever,  and keep repeating it SOFTLY AND REASSURINGLY.

2 Don't look at the dogs, as they interpret a stare as a challenge. I generally wear sunglasses  to hide my eyes, but you can just look away, keeping tabs on them from the corner of your eye. They may growl and make aggressive gestures, but don't respond. Just keep walking slowly and steadily and murmuring nice things in Thai.

When you have passed the dogs, keep a weather eye out for them sneaking up behind you, which they sometimes tend to do, but don't react by shouting are flailing your arms.  Just say "No, no no" softly and reprovingly and other than that act like everything is normal..

Once you have used this technique a few times, assuming you take a similar route each day, the dogs will most probably get used to you and leave you alone.

You might even consider making real friends of them by taking some dog biscuits or a bone you can toss their way. This is a useful ploy if they are persistent in their aggression. The problem is every time they see you they will expect a treat and so, probably, will their mates!

I know all this sounds a bit Johnny Appleseed, but it works pretty well for me.

I ride a bike most of the time and seldom have problems because I NEVER look dogs I pass in the eye and if I see they are about to charge at me I just stand hard on the pedals and ignore their snapping and snarling. So long as they don't get in front of you and cause you to fall from the saddle, you wlll soon outpace them and they will give up. Thai dogs are a pretty lazy and good natured lot, really. But if they are in a pack, with a macho leader, they can be dangerous.

I know all this sounds a bit Johnny Appleseed, but it works pretty well for me.The great thing about walking or cycling is that it is healthy for both mind and body. I would avoid drinking when you are upset as alcohol tends to heighten depression (And yes, I do speak from experience, unfortunately). Good luck!

when a man closes off all reasonable options..........

NOT.....

hobby,

DIY,

massage,

gik,

taking a walk and beating dogs with cane pole,

all the other suggestions,

THEN,

this suggests real mental problems that you must address for a happy life.  Counseling is not available, I feel sure.  I recommend diving hold hog, totally, into Buddhism and meditation.  That is waiting for you in Thailand all over the place.  Visit a wat for a week at a time and tell them you took vow of silence to avoid language barriers.

Get out of your rut now, man, before you do something really bad.   Good luck and best wishes.

As others have recommended- cycling is great...

It'll get you further afield than walking, and tend to be more pleasant as you generate enough breeze to keep you cooler.

but since you're going at a slower pace than on a motorbike, you see more around you and have opportunities to meet people

...and it's easier to avoid the dogs as there's not many who can keep up cycling pace for more than a few 10's of yards.

Combine it with photography, fishing, etc, what ever else float's your boat. 

I vote for Thai lessons, regular classes scheduled twice weekly.  That gets you out of the house twice a week doing something productive, plus a regime of study in between which can be done in or out of the home. Plus you'll learn Thai.

My 2nd vote is get a bicycle and start riding afar. You'll discover new favorite places, it's free & good for fitness.  If not a bike, then maybe an electric bike, and if not that then a scooter good enough to tour around the local terrain.   Good luck!

I think a few good ideas were offered up. I ride a bike. I also go on moto rides as I have a big bike. I fish. Stay away from bars and hooker joints. Just adds more issues. While I have not encountered a time when I felt I needed to get out but a drive may work.

Best of luck.

...I agree with a hobby...

...invest money in yourself.... 

...do something for yourself...that you enjoy...

...leaving the house is not a good idea...in your town....there are hundreds of pairs of eyes against your one pair....

...make yourself a space, if you can...surround yourself with things you like...use your money for yourself....

...reach out to other foreigners if possible....or people back home....

...remember what you used to do and like....and continue to do so....

...focus internally.....

....I thought marriage was a partnership, etc, etc,...blah, blah, blah....I gave all and lost all....

...when it is not reciprocal........you are screwed...bled dry...then discarded.....

...exercise....

...set personal goals for yourself........

...get some good natural source vitamins...from America.......B-Complex 100 time release..... feeds and soothes the nerves...

..alcohol depletes all nutrients...

• Like 1

Considering all your constraints, here's a thought:

Buy a quality programmable treadmill with variable speed and inclinations (important for variety and less boring "walks"). Make a playlist of music (or an audio book) you really enjoy, load it on to a mp3 player, switch on the aircon, and go for a walk in your own room. A good audio book can take you away from the present and keep you walking for an hour or more. Then shower, eat a guilt-free meal and take a well-deserved nap.

Good luck.

T

"My question is to others in the same boat ( if any are reading this )- what do you do to get away from the house for a while?"

I've been there many times. Having a Thai wife is not all happiness and bliss.

Do you feel trapped?

When I get to where you are now, I pack a small bag, hop on one of our motorcycles and head to the bus or train station. There I buy a ticket to the main city of one of the neighboring provinces and check into a small hotel.

I decompress by being alone, chatting with Thai people, eating what I want, and being free from the wife. I don't even tell her I'm leaving. When she calls me I am quite short with her. 

After a few days she'll ask me when I am coming back. I tell her Wednesday, or whatever. As long as I return when I said I would she's cool with that.

Strangely enough I always sleep alone on these get-away trips. The purpose of the trip is to simply get away. 

Note to OP: Since you can't speak Thai why not just take a trip to Bangkok on a VIP class bus. Two or three nights should do it, and since you are living in a village you should feel very comfortable in one of the less expensive hotels and there is a lot to keep you occupied and clear your head. All the demonstrations are over now.

Edited by 96tehtarp

Dunno if it would work for everyone, but I get on the motorcycle and ride. One day. One week. One month. Varies, along with the places I visit. It's good to see different parts of Thailand, and whether there are problems at home or not, it's usually good to go away for a while. Which is to say, it's always good to come home, and see how the wife and I have missed each other so much.

Just a thought.

Sure as hell worked for me.  Been riding sports bikes since I was big enough to get on one.  Sold my Ninja 650 before moving here.  Within a year and a half, I was feeling bored out of my mind, even though I live in Chiang Mai, where there is plenty to do.  Bought a 150cc Honda CBR just for kicking around and short trips, although I did end up all the way over in Chum Phae one day, then upgraded to as 250 CBR,and then hit every major town in Northern Thailand.  Sometimes 2 day trips, sometimes a week.  ALWAYS felt better after I came home. At first my wife thought I was going to see younger women, till another Thai wife told her: "It's a need for farang who love bikes.  They have to ride.  Don't have any place in particular they are going, just go, come home when they are ready."  Had to give up the CBR 250 due to a slow healing back injury, but bought a 300cc Forza.  Great road trip bike.  Wife no longer asks where I'm going, or when I'll be back.  Just wants me to call her at night to let her know I'm not a Thai road statistic.

Bike is great stress and tension reliever. Stop when you want, eat when you're hungry, and make sure you take a camera to get lots of pictures of this beautiful country.

• Like 2

Dunno if it would work for everyone, but I get on the motorcycle and ride. One day. One week. One month. Varies, along with the places I visit. It's good to see different parts of Thailand, and whether there are problems at home or not, it's usually good to go away for a while. Which is to say, it's always good to come home, and see how the wife and I have missed each other so much.

Just a thought.

Sure as hell worked for me.  Been riding sports bikes since I was big enough to get on one.  Sold my Ninja 650 before moving here.  Within a year and a half, I was feeling bored out of my mind, even though I live in Chiang Mai, where there is plenty to do.  Bought a 150cc Honda CBR just for kicking around and short trips, although I did end up all the way over in Chum Phae one day, then upgraded to as 250 CBR,and then hit every major town in Northern Thailand.  Sometimes 2 day trips, sometimes a week.  ALWAYS felt better after I came home. At first my wife thought I was going to see younger women, till another Thai wife told her: "It's a need for farang who love bikes.  They have to ride.  Don't have any place in particular they are going, just go, come home when they are ready."  Had to give up the CBR 250 due to a slow healing back injury, but bought a 300cc Forza.  Great road trip bike.  Wife no longer asks where I'm going, or when I'll be back.  Just wants me to call her at night to let her know I'm not a Thai road statistic.

Bike is great stress and tension reliever. Stop when you want, eat when you're hungry, and make sure you take a camera to get lots of pictures of this beautiful country.

My most recent trip was from Chiang Mai to Phrae, to Fak Tha (It was great! NO ONE goes there!!!), then back up north to I think Highway 1268 and south along the Lao border to Na Haeio. Tried to run along the Mekong from there, but the road is in an extremely bad (bone jarring) state, so aborted and dropped down to Loei. Later across through Nong Bua Lamphu to Udon Thani. There a few days, then south to Chaiyaphum and on to Bangkok, where my wife joined me after a few days. We stayed in BKK for a few days, then dropped to Pattaya for a bit. When we got bored there, north to Chachoengsao, back across Bangkok to Nonthaburi and north to Suphanburi. Actually, wanted to stop at Sam Chuk Market to get a couple of shirts from a woman who hand makes them there using very nice silk. From Sam Chuk, north to Nakhon Sawan, where we spent the night. Next day we went north on Highway 117. We were kinda heading maybe to Sukhothai, but wife wasn't committed to that ("I'm tired! I want to go home!!!"), and so I decided to go to Phiclhit at the last moment (when I saw a sign saying "Phichit, this a away"). I wanted to check on some construction work I'd thought I'd seen there some years back. Turns out it wasn't there... I've done some digging and it's actually at Thapan Hin. OK... Next time. Anyway, from Phichit it was a "short ride" north through Uttaradit, Lampang, Lumphun, and home to Chiang Mai. I think it was 2,700KM in all. I was gone for I think a bit more than three weeks. 22-25 days or so. Wife was with me for the last ten days, and now has a pretty clear understanding of what it's like to be out on the road.

Love my Ninja 650! But may be selling it before long to accommodate the purchase of a different bike. Not completely sure. Anyway, if you think you'd like a Ninja again, let me know, and maybe I can fix you up. But only if I do end up getting that different bike. If you take it, then maybe you can go to Thapan Hin with me to help look for that construction work. :)

I agree with a lot of the responses but he maybe is afarid to ride bicycle because of the dogs. I find it a good way to keep in shape and use them in both Bankok or in Chon Buri (don't have dog problem) Playing chess or games online might help but my wife gets pissed saying all I am doing is staying on PC so now I just get out ride bicycle, motor bike, walk go into BKK or Pattaya ,take in a movie. Also she realises if we stay around 24/7 will get on each others nerves so she take off with some of her girl friends to take in a Thai movie  go out to eat, gossip and take selfies :biggrin.png

In hindsite you should have thought about moving to such a remote location. Being togther 24 hrs a day will cuase problems in ANY relationship

You still have not answered a question posted "where are you" if don't want to give location then how far or how long for you to drive by motor bike or car to fair sized town where you could check out movies, get massage or meet other farangs? JUst need to know to give better suggestions.

• Like 1

Get a hobby.... a reason to get up in the morning. Golf, fishing, gardening, driving mbike......a gik maybe ! Wonder though why you live in the middle of nowhere and cant speak, enough, thai to engage in conversations with thais. Probably you are lonely there, if so, go every quarter on holiday for a week. Many places to visit in Thailand.

I have a time consuming hobby. I do DIY around the house.

What I need is something to do AWAY from the house in a town where there is nothing to do except shop or eat.

Nothing to do with being lonely and no desire to have a GIK.

< go every quarter on holiday for a week.>

I need something to take me away from the house for a few hours, not days.

Back home, I'd go to the park or a long walk, but here there are no parks and the dogs prevent going for walks.

Make those dogs you continue to mention your new hobby. Become their master the lion tamer if you will. Granted an electric cattle prod may be in order. They just need to watch the Alpha male shown up or down as the case may be. Vinigar ina spray bottle is basically harmless and affective but if you are literally attacked bear spray/pepper spray. If all else fails automotive antifreeze socked rice filled burgers will allow you to walk freely along any path there used to be dogs...

benalibina, I think you have hit it. One thing is apparent, the OP could benefit from learning Thai as a hobby. There are many schools which offer online Thai language instruction. While learning the language, get out and meet your neighbors, yes, the Thias. Get to know them. Thais are people too--some bad, some good, some fun, some drags. I'll wager Thai men have the same problem with wifey you are experiencing. Get out and look around you. You may not have western bars or restaurants, but I'll wager there are good Thai restaurants and always those lovely little Christmas tree bars.

...I agree with a hobby...

...invest money in yourself.... 

...do something for yourself...that you enjoy...

...leaving the house is not a good idea...in your town....there are hundreds of pairs of eyes against your one pair....

...make yourself a space, if you can...surround yourself with things you like...use your money for yourself....

...reach out to other foreigners if possible....or people back home....

...remember what you used to do and like....and continue to do so....

...focus internally.....

....I thought marriage was a partnership, etc, etc,...blah, blah, blah....I gave all and lost all....

...when it is not reciprocal........you are screwed...bled dry...then discarded.....

...exercise....

...set personal goals for yourself........

...get some good natural source vitamins...from America.......B-Complex 100 time release..... feeds and soothes the nerves...

..alcohol depletes all nutrients...

You got some good points.  The one above I would have to disagree with.  My Thai isn't great, but when I walk in the village I do talk to people, I socialize.  In the village everyone knows what everyone else is doing.  If you hole up in your house like a hermit, you'll end up being distrusted and thought of as pretty odd.  That can cause you problems. 
So my advice is to get out, talk and socialize, get to know people, get involved in the local Wat (if you're Buddhist), and get to know you immediate neighbors well (and their dogs), but don't become isolated. 

• Like 1

I can relate to your situation.

For me I reached out to my higher power. I came to the realization that I am not in charge of what others do, think or say. I keep my self in check as to what I say or do and as a result I live a more peaceful, contented and joyous life.

That's not to say that challenges are not part of my life. Most of them are really I significant when I look at them in the whole life aspect.

I live and let live. I take one day at a time and try to go by the "Easy Does It" way of life. My friends tend to have the same outlook and I avoid those that thrive on drama and anger.

I wish you good luck.
  • Like 1

You call yourself thaibeachlovers, errrr well go to the beach then if you love it so much.

Where exactly are you?

If your close to Chiang Mai they have the X Centre which is brilliant for a day out.

If your close to Cambodia go across shoot some AK's & 50 Cal's, and have a little flutter on the casino.

If your close to Malaysia go and see the Petronas Towers.

If your close to Myanmar go and train some child soldiers and bring some drugs back.

So there you have it, Ive gave you 4 options for North, East, South and West.

Let us know how you get on.

Personally id just move to Pattaya and sit down Soi 6 Beach Road allday if I was feeling like you are. Take a little beauty from there back home to the village where you live with only a restaurant and WiFi. She would keep you busy allday and would get the whip cracked on your wife. Let her know shes not the only one with a pussy in Thailand.

< Take a little beauty from there back home to the village where you live >

You're taking the piss, aren't you?

If I lived in Pattaya I wouldn't need to have written the OP, would I? I could move back there, but then I wouldn't be married anymore.

when a man closes off all reasonable options..........

NOT.....

hobby,

DIY,

massage,

gik,

taking a walk and beating dogs with cane pole,

all the other suggestions,

THEN,

this suggests real mental problems that you must address for a happy life.  Counseling is not available, I feel sure.  I recommend diving hold hog, totally, into Buddhism and meditation.  That is waiting for you in Thailand all over the place.  Visit a wat for a week at a time and tell them you took vow of silence to avoid language barriers.

Get out of your rut now, man, before you do something really bad.   Good luck and best wishes.

Sorry, but did you actually read MY posts.

I have a time consuming hobby of DIY.

I'm married- why would I have a GIK?

I specifically stated that I did not require councelling, just something to do for a couple of hours away from the house, so we can both cool down, then we are OK. Why would I visit a wat for a week?

I don't need to make friends. I'm not lonely. I have all the companionship I need.

All I want is suggestions of something to do for a couple of hours away from the house NOT involving- bars, eating, shopping, going to a different town/ city or the internet.

Thanks to everyone that answered. I didn't expect so many replies

Cycling is a very nice hobby, gets you out of the house, and you can do it anywhere.

Any other western people around?
I hang out in coffee bars with my pals, then we go out to lunch.
Between that, cycling and running, I don't have any free time in the day.

No other farangs where I live.

"My question is to others in the same boat ( if any are reading this )- what do you do to get away from the house for a while?"

I've been there many times. Having a Thai wife is not all happiness and bliss.

Do you feel trapped?

When I get to where you are now, I pack a small bag, hop on one of our motorcycles and head to the bus or train station. There I buy a ticket to the main city of one of the neighboring provinces and check into a small hotel.

I decompress by being alone, chatting with Thai people, eating what I want, and being free from the wife. I don't even tell her I'm leaving. When she calls me I am quite short with her. 

After a few days she'll ask me when I am coming back. I tell her Wednesday, or whatever. As long as I return when I said I would she's cool with that.

Strangely enough I always sleep alone on these get-away trips. The purpose of the trip is to simply get away. 

Note to OP: Since you can't speak Thai why not just take a trip to Bangkok on a VIP class bus. Two or three nights should do it, and since you are living in a village you should feel very comfortable in one of the less expensive hotels and there is a lot to keep you occupied and clear your head. All the demonstrations are over now.

<I've been there many times. Having a Thai wife is not all happiness and bliss.>

That's certainly true. Toss in the family and sometimes it's a recipie for disaster. Many of our disputes are about her family.

<Do you feel trapped?>

If I do, it's trapped in a happy sense. Hate being away from the beloved, and she me, so wandering off for days at a time is not on.

Someone has already said it, but build yourself a "man cave" and lock yourself in there. My wife like many Thai's when she is dirty on me gives me the silent treatment. There is nothing worse than that especially when you live out wide. I tried 2 things originally. First was I would travel all the way into Udon ( I live in the jungle too) and spend a few days by myself, which only made the missus dirtier for longer because obviously they want you to stew as well.  The second was I would go sit down in the village and go on a bender until she came good but I hate drinking all the time and it is no good for my health. So finally I built an extension on the house put in a massive flat screen, DVD, Media player, PS3 and 4 an awesome stereo and plenty of DVD's and CD's with a kindle full of books for back up. Even got my own little fridge and ensuite in case I really have to bunker down. I just lock myself in there and ride out the storm, sucks when the power goes down though lol.  Since the advent of the "man cave" however the silent treatment seems much less and really has no effect so she tends to come good a lot quicker. Failing that give her you best hypnotist stare, waggle your fingers in front of her eyes and repeat sabaii sabaii in a baritone until she snaps out of it.... Good luck.

As others have recommended- cycling is great...

It'll get you further afield than walking, and tend to be more pleasant as you generate enough breeze to keep you cooler.

but since you're going at a slower pace than on a motorbike, you see more around you and have opportunities to meet people

...and it's easier to avoid the dogs as there's not many who can keep up cycling pace for more than a few 10's of yards.

Combine it with photography, fishing, etc, what ever else float's your boat. 

I notice that many have suggested cycling. Unfortunately, due to physical reasons that is a non starter. I used to cycle to the IT cafe, but getting too decrepit for that now, so use a m'bike. Getting old is a bummer!

Edited by thaibeachlovers