Police close dog meat shop in Isaan

webfact

Did not see a DOG BUYING, HUNTING, STEALING. Pick up since some years, since the crack down, but before, sometime 3 in a week.

"my wife would say can we buy them a dog?"

blink.png

Would buy them some meat, but NO DOG! bah.gif

"my wife would say can we buy them a dog?"

xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png

Would buy them some meat, but NO DOG!

Why not a hot dog???? facepalm.gif

A goodpost.gif but I believe the Isaanies will not understand the "joke" as most, do not know a "Hot dog" razz.gif

Which reminds me of a time not long after I got here and was learning a little Thai. I wanted a hotdog at 7-Eleven, and tried to order a "maa ron," which translates to hot dog. Nobody could understand me. I finally gave up and asked for a hotdog; everybody smiled and I got it. My wife later explained to me that a hotdog is a hotdog and it doesn't translate to Thai.

Edit: Maybe that hotdog was hot dog. Who can know what's in a hotdog?

Edited by noendtoit
  • Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am told dog tastes the same as cat and everything is chicken flavoured.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They tell you the same about rats and snakes. I've tried both, but won't eat hot dogs. Neither, nor.

Years ago during one of my earlier trips to my in-laws village in Surin I had a strange occurrence.

Back story: My in-laws had a dog named 'Bob'. Bob and I became good friends almost immediately. Bob was never aggressive and would only bark when someone actually entered the property. With the main dirt road only a few meters from the in-laws house Bob would never bark at anyone walking down the road. But if they came off the road and entered the drive-way then he would go off.... Not aggressively but barking to let someone at the house know that someone was there.

Well one day I was outside and an old lady (probably 70+) was walking down the dirt road. Needless to say Bob took off barking after her out on the road. Likewise the other dogs around the neighbors were barking at her as well. They were all barking very aggressively at her as well as trying to somewhat get close to her as they were all barking very loud.

This all seemed very odd to me as I had never witnessed that before so I asked my wife what was going on. Her reply was that that women eats dog.

• 1 month later...

Since there is no animal control agency here that euthanizes and disposes of unwanted stray dogs and cats (as in the West), there is surplus of them running wild in the streets. They are filled with parasites and carry rabies and other diseases. The dog meat trade adds some balance. I simply cannot see why the so called "dog lovers" on TV get so upset about the dog meat trade. They may think that the stray soi dogs should be taken care of, but let's face it, that isn't going to happen. The alternative to the dog meat trade is terrible suffering for the short lives these dogs lead. So these so called dog lovers, who are devoid of logic, are actually supporting cruelty by implication.

I take care the families dogs, they roam free on a 300 m stretch between the parents, Gfs house

and my living place in a small rural Isaan village.

Over a period of only some years, I had to witness, take note.

4 dogs stolen from in front of the house in the night by your praised dog mafia.

3 dogs killed by cars and

3 only some month old young dogs killed by rat poison, in three different occasions, seen them dying in front of me in the kitchen during my Internet sessions. VERY SAD, all of the above. blink.png

10 of your dogs stolen or killed. You need to take better care of them. The main person to blame in all your sorrow is YOU.

Keeping your dogs well protected on private land and not allow them out unsupervised and most of that loss would never have happened.

• Like 1

Many Thais do eat dog meat particularly in the far north. Principally descendants of certain hill tribes some who eat dog meat some who don't. It is also gaining popularity with young men who think it makes them virile. Tests have shown that the opposite is true.

There are a number of issues here which people choose to ignore.

1. The collecting and transporting of dogs is illegal as Thailand has a rabies problem, and transporting unvaccinated dogs from one region to another is a danger to humans and spreading the virus.

2. Dogs are not classified as livestock, and there is no control over the standard of meat. It is no coincidence that outbreaks of cholera and trichinosis in Thailand occur in dog eating areas.

3. The cruelty involved in the whole process is extreme by any standards. We call ourselves human beings because unlike any other species we are supposed to have humanity. You won't see a shred of humanity in the dog meat trade.

4. Although some dogs are still bought or exchanged for plastic buckets the majority these days are stolen pets as in better condition, cost nothing and command a higher price.

By pets I'm assuming those that are allowed to roam around free on public land defecating & urinating that the dog owners never clean up. Pets that cause danger to traffic as well as sometimes injury to themselves and humans.

They are fair game IMO as they are not really truly pets. They are just something a family has around and feeds but never ever takes proper care of. A true pet would be kept on private land and taken care of properly to ensure it was not stolen.

Since there is no animal control agency here that euthanizes and disposes of unwanted stray dogs and cats (as in the West), there is surplus of them running wild in the streets. They are filled with parasites and carry rabies and other diseases. The dog meat trade adds some balance. I simply cannot see why the so called "dog lovers" on TV get so upset about the dog meat trade. They may think that the stray soi dogs should be taken care of, but let's face it, that isn't going to happen. The alternative to the dog meat trade is terrible suffering for the short lives these dogs lead. So these so called dog lovers, who are devoid of logic, are actually supporting cruelty by implication.

I take care the families dogs, they roam free on a 300 m stretch between the parents, Gfs house

4 dogs stolen from in front of the house in the night by your praised dog mafia.

3 only some month old young dogs killed by rat poison, in three different occasions, seen them dying in front of me in the kitchen during my Internet sessions. VERY SAD, all of the above. blink.png

10 of your dogs stolen or killed. You need to take better care of them. The main person to blame in all your sorrow is YOU.

Keeping your dogs well protected on private land and not allow them out unsupervised and most of that loss would never have happened.

-Keesters-

You not get it, sorry. Not my dogs, I only care them, sure better than the family does. rolleyes.gif

I live in a rural Thai village in the countryside, the people keep their dogs in that way, I described,

most houses have no fence.

So the dogs roam free and I never, in my 16 years in Isaan saw dog poop - that what you also complain about. (Enough free land and grass where the dogs can do their business.)

Maybe come once out of your City Ghetto and look the real, rural Thailand in a small village, away from big roads and heavy traffic.

So, in your eyes, the victims, = the dogs and I are responsible. lol w00t.gif

Stealing dogs and poison them is OK, if the possibility exists. That is your opinion.

We should stop discussing. whistling.gif

PS:

My GF brought some time ago, a young Baby cat, which, since than had 4 kitties, beautiful, 2 with 3 colors, after some weeks 3 small cats disappeared.blink.png Stolen, eaten?

Now I have the mother and one of the litter. Nice, roaming free, no problem with the dogs.

Hopefully they have some time to live. smile.png

-Keesters-

You not get it, sorry. Not my dogs, I only care them, sure better than the family does. rolleyes.gif

I live in a rural Thai village in the countryside, the people keep their dogs in that way, I described,

most houses have no fence.

So the dogs roam free and I never, in my 16 years in Isaan saw dog poop - that what you also complain about. (Enough free land and grass where the dogs can do their business.)

Maybe come once out of your City Ghetto and look the real, rural Thailand in a small village, away from big roads and heavy traffic.

So, in your eyes, the victims, = the dogs and I are responsible. lol w00t.gif

Stealing dogs and poison them is OK, if the possibility exists. That is your opinion.

We should stop discussing. whistling.gif

PS:

My GF brought some time ago, a young Baby cat, which, since than had 4 kitties, beautiful, 2 with 3 colors, after some weeks 3 small cats disappeared.blink.png Stolen, eaten?

Now I have the mother and one of the litter. Nice, roaming free, no problem with the dogs.

Hopefully they have some time to live. smile.png

No, I do get it.

1) you say you look after dogs

2) but you pretty much let the dogs do as they please

3) Some get killed by cars because the dogs are on streets built for cars and you get upset

4) Some get killed by poison because the poisoner is perhaps pissed off at dogs running around shitting and pissing everywhere and you get upset

So you don't really do a very good job at 1) above and just want to blame everybody else for your loss rather than get off your butt and do as you say you do and take PROPER care of the dogs. You also attempt to pass the buck by saying the dogs are not yours.

I don't care where you live, it could be planet Mars for all I care but if your going to take care of dogs then you should do it properly or not get upset when you loose a few because you don't.

I have never blamed the dogs for loosing their lives. A dog is only as good as its owner or carer which is this case doesn't seem very good as so many of them are loosing their lives.

• Like 1

As a dog lover, I don't like the custom of eating dog, but historically I think many many cultures have eaten dog and other animals that we now turn our nose up at. I hope to see an end to this custom myself but this isn't my country or culture.

i AM A HORSE LOVER, BUT FRENCH EAT HORSE

I am a whale lover but japan eats whale

its endless

As a dog lover, I don't like the custom of eating dog, but historically I think many many cultures have eaten dog and other animals that we now turn our nose up at. I hope to see an end to this custom myself but this isn't my country or culture.

its endless

I am a bitch lover, that's why I only eat pussies. :P

I saw "Alfredo" in my email notification of a new post on this thread. I jumped in thinking it would be recipe for "Canine Alfredo." I am disappointed . . .

Lesson learned, not every -Alfredo- is a (bad and heartless) Chef. tongue.png

And you should stop posting about dogs who have lost their lives due to improper caring.

No childish graphics here........

1st

that you have no humor, we discussed already once. lol tongue.png

2nd

Nobody died from "improper caring" that meant, they had been starved to death. rolleyes.gif

Dogs, lost lives from stealing - to have a short, deadly, "cooked, barbecued" future,

puppies - only them, lost lives to poisoning,

others lost lives under to fast driving cars, with careless drivers, in middle of village,

with small children, roaming freely to, by foot, bike and motorbike = illegal but is so.

You want the dogs even in a rural Thai village compounded, but I think the dogs believe,

-Born free and life is worth living- and is worth some risk. smile.png

And, I think. =We should stop discussing.= whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

Ye gods that Peking Duck it now seems was actually Pekingese Dog.w00t.gif Tasty though.tongue.png

Now I am coming to understand why of late I have begun to chase cats and cocking me leg when having a pee too.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Is it possible that you're chasing Mekhong Whiskey, as well?---facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

its endless

I am a bitch lover, that's why I only eat pussies. tongue.png

I hope the mods will read your post and understand that it should be moved to Pattaya forum immediately. facepalm.gif

its endless

I am a bitch lover, that's why I only eat pussies. tongue.png

I hope the mods will read your post and understand that it should be moved to Pattaya forum immediately. facepalm.gif

Sorry, I must admit that it's not my best attempt at humour, but do you really believe that this bad pun deserves such an ostracism? Chill out, mate! biggrin.png

its endless

I've eaten whale horse and dog. You're right, there no end to it. the planet is filled with overlooked delicacies.

And you should stop posting about dogs who have lost their lives due to improper caring.

No childish graphics here........

1st

that you have no humor, we discussed already once. lol tongue.png

2nd

Nobody died from "improper caring" that meant, they had been starved to death. rolleyes.gif

Dogs, lost lives from stealing - to have a short, deadly, "cooked, barbecued" future,

puppies - only them, lost lives to poisoning,

others lost lives under to fast driving cars, with careless drivers, in middle of village,

with small children, roaming freely to, by foot, bike and motorbike = illegal but is so.

You want the dogs even in a rural Thai village compounded, but I think the dogs believe,

-Born free and life is worth living- and is worth some risk. smile.png

And, I think. =We should stop discussing.= whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn

Humor, I have plenty, but your blaming others for your admitted responsibility in looking after dogs is not in the least funny. If you think it is then you are far sicker than I thought.

Caring means far more than adequate food. To take care includes protecting from harm which you most certainly have failed to do.

The way the deaths happened is immaterial, they died because they were not given proper care.

Accept it as fact and admit responsibility or stop whinging about it as the fault of everyone else. If you are going to allow your dogs to roam free, annoy people to the point of poisoning, get in the way of traffic, then you MUST accept some loss. If you don't want the loss then take better care of the animals in not letting them roam. It is in your hands not the hands of everybody else.

• Like 1

Humor, I have plenty, but your blaming others for your admitted responsibility in looking after dogs is not in the least funny. If you think it is then you are far sicker than I thought.

I replied -no humor- to your outburst - "No childish graphics here........"

The air in Pattaya, you reside there, according your profile, must be really unhealthy. blink.png

Enough for me here now.rolleyes.gif

"Never argue with unreasonable people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/prescriptions-life/201201/dont-try-reason-unreasonable-people

Edited by ALFREDO

I are having a nice nice dog BBQ tomorrow evening. This damn dog has eaten a rabbit of my boy yesterday. It's in fact the dog of our neighbor so I set the price of 3000 Baht for the rabbit. They can't pay it so we eat their dog. cheesy.gif

Oh yes my granny killed two puppies last week because they chased her chickens. I say no worries if you want two more drop over tomorrow for dinner as we have 7 more puppies.clap2.gif

I replied -no humor- to your outburst - "No childish graphics here........"

The air in Pattaya, you reside there, according your profile, must be really unhealthy. blink.png

Enough for me here now.rolleyes.gif

"Never argue with unreasonable people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/prescriptions-life/201201/dont-try-reason-unreasonable-people

Hardly an outburst. And I see you're still overloading your posts with them. How old are you ... 6?

Air in Pattaya is just fine thank you. Better than the 'dog shit', 'poisoned dog', 'run over dog', smelling air you must be breathing.

When it comes to being unreasonable there is nothing like a person who blames everybody else for their self inflicted problems. YOU.

I hope another dog doesn't end up being 'taken care' of by you. It seems a foregone death sentence.

• Like 1

I hope another dog doesn't end up being 'taken care' of by you. It seems a foregone death sentence.

No, no -Keesters- nono.gif

=I hope another dog doesn't end up being 'taken care' of by you! It seems a foregone death sentence.=

With your -rat poison- addiction regarding dogs, that sentence, fits very well for you. lol Hyaenen.gif

And now, really = Enough for me with you. yes.gif

No, no -Keesters- nono.gif

=I hope another dog doesn't end up being 'taken care' of by you! It seems a foregone death sentence.=

With your -rat poison- addiction regarding dogs, that sentence, fits very well for you. lol Hyaenen.gif

I've never harmed a dog in my life except to protect me and mine. And then it was only the waving of a stick or perhaps a gentle smack to move them along. Unlike you. How many dogs have you harmed with your inadequate caring of them. At least 10 you admit to in this thread.

The rat poison was for rats. If it was intended to poison dogs it would be called dog poison. Which you can't buy as far as I know. If some people are stupid enough to let their dogs roam out into public areas where the rat poison is..and the dog has not been trained to not pick up food of the street..well then whatever, bad luck, self inflicted pain, stupidity etc. If you can't kill off the rats that congregate cleaning up the leftovers of food placed out, by stupid people, on public streets to feed stray dogs then we would have a serious problem. Perhaps another epidemic of Black Death or the like. But then I suppose you'd blame the rats rather than the stupid people or the dogs they feed.

You seem to be the one with the addiction in the so called 'caring' of multiple dogs. I only have one at a time and it is treated as part of my family and well protected just as one would their kid.

You really like those silly graphics don't you. How old are you again 6 or is it 10 like the number of dogs you've killed through inadequate caring.

Edited by Keesters

Yesterday while walking with my leashed dog in Pattaya I passed a hotel resort complex. Out rushed a huge collared dog, teeth barred and growling. As he jumped to attack my dog I managed to get in first with my stick giving him one hell of a single strike on his jaw. He then, tail between his legs and a little blood dripping from his jaw retreated, defeated, back to his home inside the hotel complex.

Next out came the dog's owner shouting "f***ing farang how dare you hit my dog. Stay there I'm calling the police." I stood still and said "go ahead I know what they'll say". "Uh" was the angry mans reply. I continued, "They'll fine you baht 500 for having an unleashed dog on the public street and will probably order its destruction as it viciously tried to attack mine."

The angry man, frowning with his tail (metaphorically) between his legs retreated, defeated back to his home in the complex.

I continued on my walk but not before looking up and noting the name of the complex. "Alfredo's Peace and Quiet Holiday Resort".

Edit...forgot some speech quotes

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 2

Alfredo, you keep saying you've had ehnough, but you keep coming back. You really should give up as you are terribly outclassed by Keester.

By the way, the poisonous ingredient in rat poison is warfarin. If rat poison was pure warfarin, it would be very effective for killing dogs, However, the average rat poison in Thailand is only .05% warfarin with the other 99.95% being inert ingredients. The LD50 (lethal dose for 50% of the animals that consume it) for dogs is 5-50 mg/kg. Or, 3mg/kg if eaten each day for 5 days. Thus, for a single meal, a 10kg dog would have to consume 50-500 mg of warfarin to have a 50% chance of death. That translated into 100-1,000 grams of commercially available rat poison for only a 50% chance of killing. The yellow box of pink rat pellets contains 80 grams of the commercial preparation. So to have a 50% chance of killing a dog, the dog would have to eat 1.25 to 12.5 entire boxes of the stuff. It is not a very effective dog killer, and VERY RARELY ever kills a dog.

The LD50 for rats is 323 mg/kg for males and 58 mg/kg for females. On a multiple-dose basis, the reported LD100 for rats is 0.2 mg/kg/day for 5 days. So if a rat were to have a single sitting at your poison box, it probably would have no effect on him. It is effective, because they keep coming back for multiple meals, in which case the LD50 dose becomes very small.

Bottom line: Nobody is killing dogs with rat poison. Ibuprofen or paracetamol, on the other hand is very toxic to dogs, and much more effective as a caninacide. For dogs, 600mg/kg will finish off a 20 kg dog. Thus, grinding 30 400mg tablets of ibuprofen and mixing the contents with a meatball will finish off most dogs. Using 60 tablets will get them all.

Edited by noendtoit