NRC Urgently Develops Thai Researhers' Careers

Jai Dee

NRC urgently develops Thai researhers' careers

The National Research Council of Thailand is speedily developing the careers of researchers in the public sector so that they would be capable enough to work at private companies. The development will help improve the production process and increase the product values.

Prof. Ahnond Bunyaratvej, the Secretary-General of the National Research Council, said out of 10,000 Thais, only three of them are researchers. Therefore, the council has decided to develop their careers and increase the ratio to around five to eight researchers out of 10,000 people by the next two years. A conference on this issue were held at Miracle Grand Hotel, and researchers from public agencies, educational institutes and private companies were invited to seek ways to improve the career paths of Thai researchers. Compensations, rewards, and social status were among some issues being discussed. One of the objectives was to increase the competency of Thai companies so that they can compete with foreign companies.

The Secretary-General added that the meeting of researchers will also be held in Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, and Surat Thani. Later, a public hearing will be held at Thailand Research Expo in Bangkok on September 12th, 2006. The expo will take place in Central Plaza, Ladprao.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 July 2006

Which comes first, the research or the researcher? It seems to me that maybe what is being said here is that companies need to do more research...but the message is coming out that Thailand needs more researchers....I think. Thai companies are not known for innovation at least as far as what I have ever heard.....seems like foreign companies bring in the new technology and the Thais learn how to copy it.....maybe I'm wrong.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but to me this sounds like another failing of the Thai education system. I would think that if properly educated in the first place this would not be needed. It is too bad that so many Thai students have very impressive looking documents that don’t match what is between their ears.

NRC urgently develops Thai researhers' careers

Compensations, rewards, and social status were among some issues being discussed.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 July 2006

What's the 'social status' got to do with anything? Shouldnt' everybody have the same right to become a researcher providing they have a ticket?