Marriage Visa runs 3 month before I need a new passport

Dear all

My one year visa based on marriage with a thai citizen is running out end of September 2014. Normally I would now begin to apply for a new 1 year extension, but since my passport is running out end of 17 December 2014 they will only give me a new visa valid until 17. December 2014 and as I have been told at Pattaya Immigration I then have to apply for a new visa with the new passport again. It seems they will not extend or move stamps into the new passport. This would mean I have to do the whole procedure twice within 3 month.

Would it be better to get a re-entry visa and move out for a few days at the beginning of September, come back to Tailand and having my marriage visa extended until End of December and then make the whole marriage visa procedure with a new passort at the Endof December?

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Best regards

Al

Try to get a new passport before your extension ends.

If you are going to get a new visa, you will spend time and money on that. If you go for an extension and a new extension in Dec, you spend time and money on that. Up to you what you want to do and think is the most comfortable.

Amj007,

Get a new passport from your embassy in Thailand and a letter from them after your new passport is issued. After u get your new passport, take the old and the new passport to the immigration and they will transfer the existing visa onto your new passport without any hassles. This way u will get the same visa onto your new passport. After this u can easily apply for a new one year visa within the time limit before your old visa expires. I have done it before and it it not a problem to do it this way.

I hope that sorts out your issue.

Amj007,

Get a new passport from your embassy in Thailand and a letter from them after your new passport is issued. After u get your new passport, take the old and the new passport to the immigration and they will transfer the existing visa onto your new passport without any hassles. This way u will get the same visa onto your new passport. After this u can easily apply for a new one year visa within the time limit before your old visa expires. I have done it before and it it not a problem to do it this way.

I hope that sorts out your issue.

They don't transfer visas, but they will transfer the relevant extension of permission to stay information. Agree, go and apply for a passport early.

Edited by beechguy

many thanxs for all of your replies - much appreciated -

I will go tomorrow to my embassy and apply for a new passport (as they just confirmed to me by phone it will take around 2-3 weeks for a new passport) and then take as suggested both passports to the immigration and apply for a new 1 year visa based on marriage -

topic coles ;-)

I thought this can only be done to extend a tourist visa and not a 1 year visa o based on marriage? but nevertheless, I need to have a new passport anyways so I think better option is to get a new passport now and do the whole application procedure once for one 1 year again with the new passport.

thanks anyway

You did your post about getting the passport done while was doing mine.

You can extend the one year extension by 60 days there is no restriction for doing that. It is possible to get the 60 day extension with any type of entry.