Thaksin Promises Payrise For Civil Servants Next Year

Jai Dee

The Prime Minister promises a pay rise for state officials within 1-2 years

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has assured the civil servants that their salaries will be raised in fiscal year 2008 or sooner if there are no irregularities in the political situation.

Speaking at the ceremony to present honorary pins and certificates to 747 outstanding civil servants of the year at Government House, Prime Minister Thaksin said state officials are currently receiving remunerations that are disproportion with their responsibilities and rising cost of living. Therefore, the government will consider a pay raise for officials in 2008. However, if favored by the political situation, the planned adjustment could be made sooner in fiscal year 2007 to allow state officials to live with dignity.

The Prime Minister also indicated a necessity to downsize the bureaucratic force in order to make the system concise and more efficient. He said an analysis in personnel demand will be conducted while educational institutions will be assigned to produce workforce that matches with the demand.

Only in this way will the Thai economy prosper, he said, adding that civil servants will also benefit from the economic upturn which will support their development.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 July 2006

Thaksin promises payrise for civil servants next year

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra Monday promised to award pay raise to civil servants next year, if there is no more political problem by that time.

"Without any political problem, the pay raise should take effect next year," Thaksin said.

-- The Nation 2006-07-03

Government to raise salaries -- later: PM

BANGKOK: -- Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra Monday said his government will raise salaries for civil servants next year--or the year after-- claiming the pay rise is to enable state officials to cope with today's steeply rising cost of living and earn their living with dignity.

"I intend to raise civil servant salaries again in 2008, but if there are no political problems," Mr. Thaksin told the government workers, "we may be able to raise it by 2007."

Addressing government employees at a Civil Servants Day ceremony prior to presenting nearly 750 workers with certificates and pins for their outstanding work performance and good conduct, Mr.Thaksin delivered his message well in advance of the intended pay rises.

Citing the rising cost of living as the reason for the move, the prime minister said the increasing cost of living is dreadful, but to some extent costs can be moderated by campaigns on encouraging civil servants to economise .

The prime minister promised the government will try to run the economy efficiently to pave the way for the salary increases, which will enable state employees to live in dignity.

Salaries will be raised to levels as close as possible to those of private sector employees, he said.

Mr. Thaksin said civil servants work hard under high public expectation but receive low salaries. That contradicts real-world circumstances, he said. Rewards for the Thai civil service should be developed in terms of theoretical costs and the actual situation.

"They (Thai civil servants) now have dignity but don't seem to [have enough to] get by," he said.

Thai bureaucrats at all levels and positions nationwide have had their salaries raised simultaneously twice in the past six years since the two Thaksin governments took office in 2001, first in March 2004, and the second in October 2005.

Another salary boost of selected civil servants took place in in November 2004.

--TNA 2006-07-03

"Without any political problem, the pay raise should take effect next year," Thaksin said.

In other words, the pay increase will only occur if Thaksin and/or his party are retained during the next coming election.

Clear example concerning the buying of votes. Are the Thai people, especially those in Civil Service, that stupid to see this as anything else? (Please, no need to reply to this question, since I think everyone already has their own opinion, and any answer could upset the moral minority.)

He can't be allowed to go on this way. He's on mission these days, radio show, pay raise promises, pretending he'll be at the World Cup to appeal to football fans to look cool, has apparently NOT met GWB and says he did, I even saw him handing out diplomas on tv today :D Isn't that usually done by "someone else" ? :o This latest one made the Thai tv news today and commentators seemed upset.

Like Chuck Yeager, pushin' the envelope...

In other words, the pay increase will only occur if Thaksin and/or his party are retained during the next coming election.

Clear example concerning the buying of votes. Are the Thai people, especially those in Civil Service, that stupid to see this as anything else? (Please, no need to reply to this question, since I think everyone already has their own opinion, and any answer could upset the moral minority.)

If I get premier, I will make 2 new laws

a) christmas has to be twice per year

:o every human shall get 3 bottle chang beer and 1 bottle lao kao for free/per day

who vote for me?

re: handing out degrees .... dpends on the Uni

I wonder what the controversy was about though. Maybe if he makes a substantial contribution, he's allowed to hand out diplomas in exchange, polishing his image.