1st Marriage Extension. My experience. . . . . . . .

There really should not be any problem using money above 400k - it is done by almost everyone - appears to be a misunderstanding - what they do caution about is taking money to make it below 400k as that can cause issues if checked during the review process.

There really should not be any problem using money above 400k - it is done by almost everyone - appears to be a misunderstanding - what they do caution about is taking money to make it below 400k as that can cause issues if checked during the review process.

Exactly what I thought. I went back into the immigration office and asked a different officer. He said the same thing. He said use my wife's money until the consideration period has passed. 

I'll do this just to keep the peace. I agree with you. I'm sure they've made a mistake. 

However, I'll borrow some money just to be on the safe side. 

I moved province while on a marriage extension. Went to the new Immigration office to do a 90 day report, got huge ear bashing about how extensions only apply to the province that issued it, should have notified new province immediately on moving, must apply for new extension for new province asap even though old extension still had time to run. Whew! I thought Thailand as just the one country, not separate states like the US. Seems I was wrong.

I moved province while on a marriage extension. Went to the new Immigration office to do a 90 day report, got huge ear bashing about how extensions only apply to the province that issued it, should have notified new province immediately on moving, must apply for new extension for new province asap even though old extension still had time to run. Whew! I thought Thailand as just the one country, not separate states like the US. Seems I was wrong.

They don't exactly make things clear, and the rules seem to be ever changing. It was just pleasant to meet such a laid back, friendly and helpful team of immigration officers in Mea sai. (Note, this was an immigration office, not at the boarder) 

They told me I cannot take any money out of my account during the month of consideration, as the figures given in the bank letter and bank book must remain the same.

this is not true, they dont ask this requirment.... i always use that money since 5 years now, your dossier is sent to the main office in bangkok or where ever to be schecked and aprouve 100% complete with the 1900 baths paid, not refundable in case of a no.... but.they will not ask you anything else later on.

only you will get the visite from immigartion officers in your house to make sure you live there, ask your neibours, and will ask how much you get from abroad a mounth......you can lie as you want.....!they just right it down, they can not scheck it.

so now it is very simple ... in 1 mounth you will just have to go back to this immigration office to get your year extension visa...well a stamp,  but this has nothing to do with the 400 000 baths in your bank account that you had for 2 mounths bloked before applying your extension and you dont have to show your bank book or what ever document at that time.

at least since i renew...2 mounth ago.......... and i dont think this has change since then .

good luck coffee1.gif

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font

They told me I cannot take any money out of my account during the month of consideration, as the figures given in the bank letter and bank book must remain the same.

this is not true, they dont ask this requirment.... i always use that money since 5 years now, your dossier is sent to the main office in bangkok or where ever to be schecked and aprouve 100% complete with the 1900 baths paid, not refundable in case of a no.... but.they will not ask you anything else later on.

only you will get the visite from immigartion officers in your house to make sure you live there, ask your neibours, and will ask how much you get from abroad a mounth......you can lie as you want.....!they just right it down, they can not scheck it.

so now it is very simple ... in 1 mounth you will just have to go back to this immigration office to get your year extension visa...well a stamp,  but this has nothing to do with the 400 000 baths in your bank account that you had for 2 mounths bloked before applying your extension and you dont have to show your bank book or what ever document at that time.

at least since i renew...2 mounth ago.......... and i dont think this has change since then .

good luck coffee1.gif

Thank you so much for your contribution. I'm sure I can spend my money, providing I don't go under 400,000 in this account. However, 2 immigration officers told me and my wife the same thing. So just to side with caution, I'm not going to touch the account until the extension has been granted. They also said to expect a phone call for an immigration officer to visit  the property in about a week. My land lord is my neighbour. I get the feeling he kind of regrets renting to a farang with all the additional paperwork and problems it's caused him so far, luckily, he's a nice guy. I wish I could say the same for his wife. 

I went through the OP's post with the mouse cursor and did find the immigration office: Mai Sai. Thought I'd gone blind first. I'd love to have coffee&cookies at Jomthien.

Apologies if I spelt it wrong. The immigration office is about 10KM before the boarder. It said 'Temporary Office', although it all looked very professional and permanent, 

When they came to do my checkup, they got the map out,saw how far away I was, bottled it, and got me to bring the neighbours to them. True story.

I've only just moved to this new address, the neighbours don't have a clue who I am. 

good luck coffee1.gif

It is very true. There have been reports of the regional office checking the bank balance. I can recall a report of one being denied for taking the money.out and another one for taking 60k out and having to put it back to get approval.

The OP should be able to take some money out but not enough to make it go below 400K baht.

• Like 2

good luck coffee1.gif

It is very true. There have been a report of the regional office checking the bank balance. I can recall a report of one being denied for taking the money.out and another one for taking 60k out and having to put it back to get approval.

The OP should be able to take some money out but not enough to make go below 400K baht.

Alls I know is the regional office want to see the exact amount in the bank, as on the original letter from the bank to grant the extension. I'm not saying this is correct, I'm just saying that's what the immigration officer(s) told me.

Jesus, the mosquitos are out in numbers tonight ! 

To the OP, I am guessing you must be living North of town and closer to Mae Sai than Chiang Rai.  If I am wrong, there is an office in town which is very convenient and has equally friendly staff.  Having two branches seems to have made things a lot easier and one doesn’t usually encounter any crowds.

I have never been told to refrain from making withdrawals after submitting the application but they are very strict about the letter and bankbook having the same exact amount.  Since things are in flux these days I suppose it might be a good idea to make a withdrawal sufficient for expenses prior to requesting the letter and updating the bankbook.

Next year you will need all the same paperwork you presented this year but they probably won’t bother to come to your house again.  Welcome to stress free living in Chiang Rai.
  • Like 1

If immigration can just look at your account, why do they need to have bank statements and letters?

Oh yeah, right, TiT

They can ask for a bank statement at any time during the consideration period, "additional information", this is the way they would know you've taken the money out. Taken literally until the extension is approved and you have the stamp, the seasoning period is still active. Which in practice makes it 3 months, as in 2 before applying, one while waiting. Never had this happen to me though, on my fifth extension now.

To the OP, I am guessing you must be living North of town and closer to Mae Sai than Chiang Rai.  If I am wrong, there is an office in town which is very convenient and has equally friendly staff.  Having two branches seems to have made things a lot easier and one doesnt usually encounter any crowds.

I have never been told to refrain from making withdrawals after submitting the application but they are very strict about the letter and bankbook having the same exact amount.  Since things are in flux these days I suppose it might be a good idea to make a withdrawal sufficient for expenses prior to requesting the letter and updating the bankbook.

Next year you will need all the same paperwork you presented this year but they probably wont bother to come to your house again.  Welcome to stress free living in Chiang Rai.

I'm actually living in ban du at the moment, but moving into the city in the next few days. (Near the old bus station/night bizaar. )

I wonder what this is all about

oh, my wife was asked 2 questions about me.....Where we met and how many brothers and sisters I have.....Not exactly difficult.

The "where we met", I can understand but what about the "how many brothers and sisters someone has", strange question, do they check this or what is the deal or is it just chit chat ?

Edited by MJCM

oh, my wife was asked 2 questions about me.....Where we met and how many brothers and sisters I have.....Not exactly difficult.

The "where we met", I can understand but what about the "how many brothers and sisters someone has", strange question, do they check this or what is the deal or is it just chit chat ?

Just very casual and informal chit chat. I guess the officer had to ask some questions, but she was friendly and polite, just made it easy for us really. 

• Like 1

^ yeah, but the main reason why I asked, because they asked the same question on my first extension of stay and also at my friends first extension last June.

She asked as we were all sat together. We prepared the obvious and more tricky questions, but it never happened. It was all much better than expected and better than any other dealings I've had with immigration. 

^ yeah, but the main reason why I asked, because they asked the same question on my first extension of stay and also at my friends first extension last June.

She asked as we were all sat together. We prepared the obvious and more tricky questions, but it never happened. It was all much better than expected and better than any other dealings I've had with immigration. 

I agree 100%, getting the paperwork in order is a bit of a hassle, but then afterwards the process is pretty easy.

Question you didn't mention in the OP, did you need to have a Witness ?

I agree 100%, getting the paperwork in order is a bit of a hassle, but then afterwards the process is pretty easy.

Question you didn't mention in the OP, did you need to have a Witness ?

No, we called the office before arriving and they said we don't need any witnesses, but the officers might/will want to talk to our new neighbours when they come to our house. Not idea what to expect then, but everything is 100% legit, so I'm not concerned. (maybe a little) 

• Like 1

They asked my wife how many siblings I have as well. Another cute question they asked my bride was how long we had known each other prior to living together.