Malaria in Issan?

advancebooking

Im in the UK now but 3-4 weeks ago me missus who was in Nakhon Phanom hospital with her mother told me on the phone that she'd heard that someone with "new disease from mosquito" had been transferred to Udon hospital from NP hospital. This could have been a case of drug resistant malaria.

After 8 Winters spent mostly in NP, Ive only ever heard of one school girl case of malaria there and that was 5 yrs ago or more.

Edited by bina
font size and colour back to standard

Live in pon sai district in roi et. Right on the borders of surin and si sa ket. 7years ago caught tb. Was treated by rasi salai hospital where the director told me tb was endemic to the area.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hardly seen any mozzies in the area around Ubon where I live, but in December through to April they were everywhere guess they like the cooler months

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's not the malaria that gets you in Isaan. Dengue is much more of a problem. Look out for the little b******'s with stripy bodies!

As I understand it from mates who live along the Cambodia/Thai border in Ubon province malaria is not a big issue - maybe if you lay out in the jungle at night you might get unlucky, but otherwise reported deaths are few

I suspect that much of it goes unreported, if only to keep the statistics down.

I contracted dengue up in Kalasin last year and was admitted to a very reputable hospital in BKK with that diagnosis.

I was subsequently discharged with pneumonia stated as my illness. Go figure.

Mozzies are pretty rife up there and after the usual precautions it's the luck of the draw.

any fellow ubonites..my missus village is off the main road, about half way between det udom and nahm yuen - has there been many cases of malaria this monsoon ? dont know if Jim from buntarik still posts on here but would appreciate his two cents. visiting with my 4 year old daughter in november and she wont take the bloody malaria tablet, even when chocolate is part of the equation