why is thailand making it so hard to stay. cambodia a better option

for years ive read about thai government constantly shifting the goal posts regarding immigration ,  recently making it tougher on overstayers .    is cambodia an easier option ?  i have been to cambodia and i like the place and if i were on retirement i would be certainly not be in thailand if i can get the same type of life style in cambodia or even laos.

thailand is very quiet now with tourism having a knock on effect,    im not just talking bar girl incomes but hotels, shops, resturaunts , taxi,s  etc.   

why hurt your own economy any more by tightening visa rules ?  

btw   what are requirements to stay in cambo ?

Why not join one of the seemingly 100's of existing threads discussing this ad nauseum?

If you want to know about things Cambodian, the Cambodian forum would be a better choice.

The fog has lifted and the referee is back on the field. No goal posts have been moved. Handing out red cards to a bunch of people who can't be bothered playing by the rules won't hurt the economy. If you find this too difficult to deal with, Cambodia beckons.

This is what I dont understand about this thread and all the others like it, you read on TV all the whinging and moaning about how the police dont do their jobs, the laws are are there but never enforced, and now the laws are being enforced, and the police are starting to do their jobs, people are still whinging.

We have to face the facts, the reason there is currently a clamp down is because of the blase attitude of people visting and living in thailand as regards overstays, and visa's ie dont worry it about pay your 20k at the airport go out and come back again and start process over, so in effect maybe some of the people who are whinging on TV are the ones who have created this crack down in the first place.

If you try and explain that to them you get ridiculed for being an 'apologist' or some such nonsense. I feel really sorry for all the innocent caught up in the latest crackdown but it really is a case of som nam nah for some of the whiners on here.

• Like 2

for years ive read about thai government constantly shifting the goal posts regarding immigration , recently making it tougher on overstayers. is cambodia an easier option ?

Try to overstay in Cambodia and report to us when you will (try to) exit the country... rolleyes.gif
This could change a lot your idea to go in Cambodia, mainly if your idea was to live there in overstay...
  • Like 1

Cambodia gives anyone a 12 month multi-entry business visa on arrival at the airport in Phnom Penh for around $290USD.  No requirements to meet - pay the money and get the visa.  This is a legitimate visa - nothing "under the table."  On that business visa, you can work, including working in your own bar, serving customers.

If you enter overland, you will enter on a 1 month tourist visa, and then you can buy your 12 month business visa from any travel agent.

This business visa is renewable from inside Cambodia - no need to leave the country.

It doesn't get any easier than that, in this region.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

OP, when you say 'the same kind of lifestyle in Cambodia or Laos' that's about as vague as it gets. but I can guarantee you that you wont have the infrastructure so many of us take for granted - or bitch about - in most parts of Thailand. Not saying either of those countries would fail to make you happy, but you seem to have a lof of 'grass must be greener' naive optimism woven into your thinking.

• Like 1