Thai military arrest army general for extortion

webfact

Before the Junta arrest one of their own the comments are "The Junta are corrupted and would never arrest within their own ranks" When the Junta arrest one of their own. It is a PR stunt.

If the police chief was not reinstated it would be a conspiracy by the DEM's and the courts. When he is, it is nepotism.

When the Junta found a small amount of weapons it was "An insignificant weapons find" When they found 10% of all weapons finds in 14 years it is "A fake news story".

Before the Junta paid the rice farmers it was "They don't care about the farmers" When they paid the farmers it was "They are a populist Junta"

These are the same people that said before there was any irregularities found in the rice scheme "This scheme is very successful as can be shown from the investigation that found no irregularities" When irregularities are found they say "5% irregularities is normal, just look at the Japanese rice scheme". When 10% is found they say "this is not he 3 million tons missing that the naughty DEM's suggested" When 15% of irregularities are found they say "this is solely the fault of warehouse owners and the PTP are innocent"

Now to sum up one be assured to have a rye smile and a warm inner confident glow knowing that they are right and the people that say "This is a PR stunt" are wrong when it is those same people that said "This reconciliation bill will bring reconciliation and peace to Thailand" followed quickly by a naive gullible "You just wait and see. This is a wonderful bill the PTP have engineered"

Well, I waited, I saw and can rest easy that "PR stunt" is written by some that would be more at home writing science fiction novels with entertaining endings that fly against any face of reason and logic. I call it PTP logic. 

An alternative and usually reliable news source reported....   that a group of Patpong market vendors on Thursday rallied around a general accused of extorting money from them, claiming Maj Gen Jennarong Dechawan, in fact, was helping them beat back a mafia group. So perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye.

The implication of this, if correct, would be that his arrest is far more sinister than a mere "PR stunt".

If you don't like it, don't blame me; I'm only reporting what "the news source that must not be mentioned" reported.

If you don't like it, don't blame me; I'm only reporting what "the news source that must not be mentioned" reported.

Noway do I blame you. I thank you. I would love to buy you a beer at the wonderful TVF bar in Bangkok for what you said. That would be the Bangkok Post that reported what you said. Of course you can report this and funnily enough the Junta that some are saying is so media repressive is actually allowing these critical news reports to be reported. I appreciate with great gusto your inadvertent ability in showing the Junta as a fair and balanced Junta that allows news stories to be reported criticizing it. Well done and thanks for that. Love your work mate.

I look forward to this going to court and the man being found innocent if this is the case. Reason being is I respect democracy ergo respect the courts decisions. 

Isn't democracy wonderful. Pity we didn't see it under the Shin regime, but we see it under an apparent military dictatorship.

I thank the Junta for being proactive in this arrest, but most importantly I thank my dear friend Cthulhu for ensuring that we all know the Junta are more democratic that the PTP ever were.

The alternate news source the poster referred to could not have been the BKK Post.

IF you want to see what they have to say about this there is a great report there now  "Payday at Patpong " Go look.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AWESOME they're really doing a great job tidying up the place. Im sure it wont be difficult to get Thai's to snitch out corrupt civil servants, the bib and the military will be busy bee's indeed, keep up the good work guys!

LOL!!

Let's see how many farang cheerleaders there are when the junta turns the spotlight on all those foreign-owned companies that bought  chunks of land throughout the kingdom before the 49/51% rule came into effect

Let's see how many farang cheerleaders there are when the changes being implemented by the junta actually START affecting whitey on the ground.

Ok,. So because you cannot find fault with the Junta now you are projecting an unfounded "guess" as to what the Junta may do in the future to denounce them. That is itself is a sign that you respect the Junta. I didn't even need to project what the PTP may have, could have, but didn't do in the future. I was too busy complaining about what they have already done!!

"The bad, evil Junta doing something" they have not actually done yet, has not been reported and may actually never happen. Bravo and I am sure the Junta will see that as a big compliment. I do.

That would be like me saying "The evil PTP are bringing robots to kill all falangs in Thailand in 6 months" That story is just as plausible because it has not happened yet and it was never reported.

Your excuses are reaching a new boundary that I have rarely seen yet. I am still getting over the "Fake news story" excuses. Mind you your excuse will catch on as it usually does with the gullible. 

If  a new "Red Dwarf" series ever comes out I hope you are writer on it. 
The bit about the Companies that don't trade that have been set up to circumvent the laws on land ownership, is a very good point though. Edited by Banzai99

Do I have to say it yet again?

I'll say it again:

A post containing comments that can be construed as being negative about the imposition of Martial Law or the Coup has been removed.  Please read this  URGENT NOTICE TO MEMBERS again. 

Another post has been removed as well as a reply. 

Some more posts have been removed, continued posts in violation of this will disappear and posting suspensions will be issued.  

How would you know what the majority think about the junta? Spewing nonsense as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Fairly easy really of us posters( that's what we are talking about)---our views--  take your % from them.  I do.

You see riots in the street objecting???---you would if they were not doing a decent job believe me, and you would get the NORMAL average poster also objecting along with me.   This is all I know,   your thoughts are embedded already after 2 months-anti Army
Take a look at your own posts -not the independent  journalistic ones are they.
So what are they then?

And your statistics are based on a very large assumption. Safe to say, you won't be getting the Pulitzer any time soon.

as far as Thai people are concerned, the published polls show that they are overwhelmingly in favour of the army at the moment. Personally, I have yet to meet a thai person who isn't verbally in favour of the coup, peace, and reform. I cannot say anything about what they are thinking.
Overall, I'd be going along with the view that a large majority of thai people are content with the current situation.

Again with presumptuous conclusions.

I've met many that are against the military take over, yet do not wish to speak this out loud among colleagues and friends.
I've met many that think it doesn't matter which side you choose, the end result is the same AND I've met people who don't give a rat's ass about anything related to politics in this country.

So where is this overwhelming majority you speak so much about?
Exactly which areas do you hang around in or where do you reside for thats matter?

• Like 2

Fairly easy really of us posters( that's what we are talking about)---our views--  take your % from them.  I do.

You see riots in the street objecting???---you would if they were not doing a decent job believe me, and you would get the NORMAL average poster also objecting along with me.   This is all I know,   your thoughts are embedded already after 2 months-anti Army
Take a look at your own posts -not the independent  journalistic ones are they.
So what are they then?

And your statistics are based on a very large assumption. Safe to say, you won't be getting the Pulitzer any time soon.

as far as Thai people are concerned, the published polls show that they are overwhelmingly in favour of the army at the moment. Personally, I have yet to meet a thai person who isn't verbally in favour of the coup, peace, and reform. I cannot say anything about what they are thinking.
Overall, I'd be going along with the view that a large majority of thai people are content with the current situation.

I've met many that are against the military take over, yet do not wish to speak this out loud among colleagues and friends.
I've met many that think it doesn't matter which side you choose, the end result is the same AND I've met people who don't give a rat's ass about anything related to politics in this country.

Exactly which areas do you hang around in or where do you reside for thats matter?

All this "cannot speak out against the military"  keep it hush and whisper----Rubbish propaganda.

It's those that didn't like the army or were angry their hero's were slung out on their heels. The ones the army considers a distraction while they clean up.  There is some censorship but OTT comments are here on TVF about this,is a way to object and use that as a big excuse for their dislike.

Where posters reside is personal -if a poster lives here and moves around he will know how the mood is.  not everyone speaks from a bar stool.

Over the years here Thais did not speak about politics because they were afraid, afraid to question, elders-police teachers-authority in general so you cannot blame them for not giving--as you say---"a rats ass".

These people are serious........love it.

More of this General, you are doing a good job.

So when can we see the Junta scrutinizing ALL the top brass of the armed forces and the widely expanded arm of the Privy Council? Honestly, if you knew how rich these guys are you would be shocked. These are the most corrupt institutions in the country!

Until then this guy is just a patsy, a fall guy, charged only to give the military a perceived aura of respectability.

It's only the beginning...............to be continued.............thumbsup.gif

We can hope it will be continued.

However, the military has been in control of Thailand for over 65% of the time since 1932 and the culture of corruption has flourished.

Maybe, "This one is different!"

hmmmm... where have I heard that before?

But in the last 20 years they were only for very short times in power and were far less corrupt as the politicians who democratically bought themself into power.

While they didn't do much the Surayud government was far the best one and least corrupt at these times.

• Like 1

"I doubt most Thais or farangs (apart from those suffering from the visa crack down) will have noticed any difference in their daily life in the last year."  

This isn't about farangs... It's about Thai corruption and it certainly has affected them. Let's start with the former Prime minister and work our way down...

I'm glad to see this.. I happen to know that there is a lucrative business for some Thai Generals selling get out of the Army certificates.. When an arrest is made to some of them, I'll know for sure everything is going to get better...  Keep up the good work General..  clap2.gif

• Like 1

[quote name="maxme" post="8178429" timestamp="1406800179"] [quote name="ginjag" post="8178400" timestamp="1406799857"] [quote name="maxme" post="8178367" timestamp="1406799469"] [quote name="ginjag" post="8178328" timestamp="1406799061"]  

Take a look at your own posts -not the independent  journalistic ones are they.[/quote]So what are they then?

[/quote] 
I do not want to be involved with this sort of rubbish, after your nasty remark about a straight reply to ANOTHER poster, and you jumped in with both feet about,  quote "spewing nonsense as usual"   sorry if my posts do not fit your stance, I am prepared to give the army the benefit of the doubt after the diabolical governing of the PTP, anything is better.[/quote]
Well you are quit good at remarks yourself and accusing people to the left and right. Don't play the game then if you cannot take that people give you what you so often give them.

[/quote]

Your right I will not be playing your game.    Your attitude is not sweet, I told you about the remark and I have not answered any of your posts before that so you must belong to the sad few on here,    Spewing the USUAL you said, my posts are varied on TVF and get along quite well Thanks apart from the nasty minority.

Sweet? I ain't ur sugar and your posts ain't exactly "varied". They are right out insults and accusations. Either one belongs to your camp or one belongs to the terrorists. Maybe that's what you mean by varied.

Maybe you do not scan most topics or else you would see my posts are varied, as for your comment about right out insults  to who ??? accusations I do accuse certain types that post on visa on politic topics with an anti army rhetoric from day 1.

I do not belong to a camp but as the land lies I could well fit in with the majority of posters feelings on most topics.  Most posters that encounter brushes, are with this minority anti army clan.  If you wish to be abrasive and post about me quote, " right out insults" your prerogative.

maybe cheer up a bit and go with the flow like most.

Just to add, if the army does get out of order you will find me and most posters shouting them down.  But there is no need yet, as things are better than the last 3 years.

[quote name="ginjag" post="8179851" timestamp="1406817725"][quote name="maxme" post="8179793" timestamp="1406816826"] [quote name="gabruce" post="8178715" timestamp="1406802731"] [quote name="maxme" post="8178367" timestamp="1406799469"] [quote name="ginjag" post="8178328" timestamp="1406799061"]  

Take a look at your own posts -not the independent  journalistic ones are they.[/quote]So what are they then?

[/quote] 
 [/quote]

[/quote]

All this "cannot speak out against the military"  keep it hush and whisper----Rubbish propaganda.

It's those that didn't like the army or were angry their hero's were slung out on their heels. The ones the army considers a distraction while they clean up.  There is some censorship but OTT comments are here on TVF about this,is a way to object and use that as a big excuse for their dislike.
Where posters reside is personal -if a poster lives here and moves around he will know how the mood is.  not everyone speaks from a bar stool.
Over the years here Thais did not speak about politics because they were afraid, afraid to question, elders-police teachers-authority in general so you cannot blame them for not giving--as you say---"a rats ass".[/quote]

"Not everyone speaks from a barstool." That's rich coming from an individual that throws insults and then starts a pity party when people criticize his drivel, just like your last post.

You have shown your true colors and with that I bid you adiue.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand Edited by maxme

Gosh, the general arrested was getting down into the trenches with his troops (civilian or military) involved in the extortion.   You would figure a big noodle such as the general would only let the little noodles do all the down & dirty work.

And he is maybe just a 'little noodle' himself, in a much bigger organisation, thrown out as bait because of his (lack of) style, in a 'restructuring' operation to adapt to the 'new times'... No worries though, not one, single, 'big man' has fallen yet, nor in corruption, nor in rice, nor in drugs, nor in criminal mafia, nor in land (mis-)appropriation, not even in the illegal timber business... The true Thai people are watching, and waiting, though, pray they never lose their patience, or one might get a sudden 'evolution', with an 'r' in front, maybe even with si-som shirts (when you mix red and yellow, you get orange).

1 down, 1999 to go. Yes, Thailand has 2000 Generals. giggle.gif

I'm curious where you get your information, I find it quite difficult to find numbers on the Thai military. 

The number I have is 1750, but that is from a news story in October 2013 http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/SEA-01-011013.html.  By way of comparison, the US military has less than 1000, but they just do military stuff, no coups.

• Like 2

A curious story, to say the least.  I'll be better convinced about the military's fight against internal corruption when rich Thai's are complaining they can't buy draft exemptions for their sons and Reuters is writing news stories about the Thai Navy's humane efforts to fight people smuggling.

• Like 1

Like many I never ask Thai's about politics, the king etc. Taboo and just asking for trouble. However watching farangs wearing red shirts or yellow shirts or whatever political cult is on the go are just nuggets. On the rare times a Thai has mentioned the army to me - completely unprompted - they have been in favour.

"But he said he took money from traders to pay the owners of the copyrighted goods,"

Errr.. is this the beginnings of a script for a Monty Pythonesque "silliest excuses" episode.... or a blurting goat with the IQ of melted cheese ?

blink.png 

Ahh - he put all proceeds into an escrew account until the copyright owners contact him. Then he will distribute including interest. What? The account is empty? Those dang management fees ;)

Army says it has strong evidence on general
The Nation

Group rises to defend officer accused of extorting protection money in Silom area

BANGKOK: -- The military's judge advocates yesterday expressed confidence that they have strong evidence against an Army major-general accused of extorting street vendors in the Patpong and Silom areas.

However, a group of vendors from the same area came out in his defence, saying that the military officer in question helped them negotiate with local mafia figures so that they did not have to pay protection money any more.

Lt-Colonel Burin Tongprapai, a judge advocate from the Army, said a military fact-finding team investigated the matter for some time before the major-general was arrested on Wednesday.

He said the officer was actually involved in extortion and the investigative team had evidence against him.

The officer, who has denied the charge, was handed over yesterday to officers from the Crime Suppression Division.

Pol Colonel Prasopchok Prommoon, deputy commander of the CSD, yesterday said the military officer in question would be tried in the Criminal Court, and not a martial court.

A group of vendors yesterday petitioned General Prayuth Chan-ocha, chief of the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), at Government House. They submitted their petition to a Government House official and none of them would identify themselves.

A representative of the vendors yesterday said the major-general got involved in the negotiation process more than two months ago, at the request of the local street vendors. They said that they had been "oppressed" by mafia extortionists for 20 years before he intervened.

The vendors said they believed that the military officer in question was wrongly accused because the mafia extortionists were angry with him.

"In the past we had to pay a lot of protection money. After he intervened, we now no longer have to pay," said one of the vendors, who declined to be identified.

Another vendor in the area confirmed yesterday that the major-general helped negotiate with corrupt police officers so that the street vendors no longer had to pay regular bribes.

Arrested in seedy Patpong area

The officer was arrested by the military on Wednesday at a hotel near the seedy Patpong area and was charged with extorting money from street vendors. Four civilians accused of working with the military officer were also arrested along with him.

"He is the most senior member of the military ever arrested for extortion," Burin, who led the arrest, said.

"But he said he took money from traders to pay the owners of the copyrighted goods," according to Burin.

In a related development, Defence Ministry permanent secretary General Surasak Kanjanarat yesterday said all military officers involved in illegal activities would face legal action.

The NCPO will take decisive actions against anyone involved with mafia groups or "influential figures" involved in illegal activities, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Army-says-it-has-strong-evidence-on-general-30239982.html

[thenation]2014-08-01[/thenation]

One wonders what party he is known to support. Not to mention all those people who were paying for protection, were paying because they are all operating illegally. Anybody who is operating legally would have no need to grease the palms of the law. When are all these illegal businesses going to be closed down. I doubt there is a single grown person in Thailand ,who has not taken advantage of the age old bendy ways of Thailand. from paying 200 to the police. Going to the girly bars, at bit of friendly gambling, a few perks from a job, buying fake goods, buying fake cds. not one of us can claim purity, including most if not all of the powers that be. Let the general out so he can get on with the job of illegally protecting the illegal business owners.

"... they had been "oppressed" by mafia extortionists for 20 years before he intervened ..."
"... the major-general helped negotiate with corrupt police officers so that the street vendors no longer had to pay regular bribes."

So in this article they are clearly stating that the "Mafia" are the Police themselves . . . very interesting that they've come right out and admitted it in public.

• Like 1

This single action will send a more powerful message to the rich and powerful than anything else that has happened to date. Even they will now realise that they are  not immune...and the military are being really serious about this anti corruption drive.

Perhaps Thailand is really entering a brave new world.

Someone says around 2k to 5k THb per month per vendor at Patpong. Crazy stuff. I think there are at least 200-300 vendors around patpong.

Good side income by the General.... Looks like the army is also involced in corruption....surprise?!

Edited by SoFarAndNear

One wonders what party he is known to support. Not to mention all those people who were paying for protection, were paying because they are all operating illegally. Anybody who is operating legally would have no need to grease the palms of the law. When are all these illegal businesses going to be closed down. I doubt there is a single grown person in Thailand ,who has not taken advantage of the age old bendy ways of Thailand. from paying 200 to the police. Going to the girly bars, at bit of friendly gambling, a few perks from a job, buying fake goods, buying fake cds. not one of us can claim purity, including most if not all of the powers that be. Let the general out so he can get on with the job of illegally protecting the illegal business owners.

Does everyone have to support a party ?

Easy to write on there that they don't have to pay whether they are working legally or not, however in real life when there are a bunch of heavies ready to do grievous bodily or there could (would) be an accidental fire or their stall, car, home wrecked or robbed if "Insurance" (protection money) was not paid, not so easy to refuse.

The general was caught red handed receiving marked notes that had just been collected by his henchmen, and women, from the vendors, apparently with video proof among others.

He seems to have admitted collecting the money with the excuse that he was gong to give it to the owners of patents of pirated goods on sale.

Which in itself would have to be illegal as it would be condoning the sale of pirated goods.

• Like 1