Uk Settlement

Hiya all

can someone give me a couple of outlines on rules on ILR etc.

If my wife and I wish to go out of the UK back to Thailand how long can we go for to be within the rules?

When do we have to apply for ILR?

What do we need for ILR for evidence?

How much :o ?

Thanks all :D

check here for all the rules:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

you will need form FLR(M) if your wife requires an extension to stay to her current visa. see below

1. you apply before your wifes current visa expires but not more than 28 days before her 2nd anniversary in the UK. If, like me, there are any days in between the visa expiry and the 28 days prior to the 2nd anniversary you will need to apply for an extension visa (form FLR(M)) to cover that period and then apply for the ILR (form Set(M)) after that.

2. you should include all relevent evidence that can support claims that you and your wife have been living together as husband and wife etc at the same address since her entering the UK... the link at the top should give you some ideas.

3. £335 by post - £500 in person

If my wife and I wish to go out of the UK back to Thailand how long can we go for to be within the rules?

Me and the mrs went back for 3 months and it shouldn't be a problem. Both our passports show we went and came back together and so carried on living as man and wife.

As for evidence. I mean this, so WITHOUT DELAY, i cannot stress enough. Get her name put on ALL of the utility bills, get a bank account set up etc. I think you need (Scouse can confirm) 10 letters in her name, from 5 different officially recognised sources, per year. So save everything. :o

I think you need (Scouse can confirm) 10 letters in her name, from 5 different officially recognised sources, per year. So save everything. :o

Spot on, except it's 10 letters in the name of either party to the marriage, with either a 6/4 or 5/5 split.

In terms of the length of time your wife can spend outside of the UK, there is no defined figure. Absences on family holidays/visits to Thailand will be disregarded, but if it appears that your wife is still living in Thailand despite having expressed an intention to settle in the UK, then the qualification for ILR might not be satisfied. In such a situation, the Home Office would extend your wife's current status rather than grant indefinite leave.

Scouse.

you will need form FLR(M) if your wife requires an extension to stay to her current visa.
Form FLR(M) is for a two year further leave to remain following marriage when the applicant entered with a fiance visa.

The form for indefinite leave to remain is SET(M) and can be downloaded here.

We live at my Mums house at the moment and probably will do for the next 12 months. Will this affect our documentation with regard as to getting hold of 10 letters in our/my wife's name?

The next 12 months we will be hopefully living in our own house, do you think it will be okay that the address changes?

you will need form FLR(M) if your wife requires an extension to stay to her current visa.

Form FLR(M) is for a two year further leave to remain following marriage when the applicant entered with a fiance visa.

The form for indefinite leave to remain is SET(M) and can be downloaded here.

GU22 - if you read my post again you will see that i said FLR(M) should be used if the OP's wife requires an extension to her current visa before being eligable for applying for ILR... also it is not just for applicatants on fiance visa only - see below taken from IND website.

Please explain if you disagree - as I am advised by the IND to first apply for FLR and then ILR as I have 7 days adrift

********************************************************************************

Use Form FLR(M) to apply for an extension of stay in the United Kingdom as the spouse (husband or wife) or unmarried partner of a person present and settled here.

We live at my Mums house at the moment and probably will do for the next 12 months. Will this affect our documentation with regard as to getting hold of 10 letters in our/my wife's name?

The next 12 months we will be hopefully living in our own house, do you think it will be okay that the address changes?

Rj 81 - you think youve got problems

when my wife arrived in UK we lived with my parents for 3 months then moved into my flat for about 15 months, we have been back at my parents for the past 3 months whilst waiting for our new house to complete before moving there...

so ive got all manner of post etc with our names on at different addresses... i wouldnt worry about it - im sure being stationery at one address for 24 months when in the UK is not considered criteria when applying for ILR... and if it is then it truely is a sorry state of affairs.

There will not be a problem. Simply supply letters covering the time at both addresses.

rio666uk,

You are correct in what you say about the use of FLR(M), however the OP was about applying for ILR, for which one uses SET(M).

I should have said "one of the uses of FLR(M) is.........."

Apols for any confusion.

There will not be a problem. Simply supply letters covering the time at both addresses.

rio666uk,

You are correct in what you say about the use of FLR(M), however the OP was about applying for ILR, for which one uses SET(M).

I should have said "one of the uses of FLR(M) is.........."

Apols for any confusion.

no worries mate

Rj - if you go take a look at GU22's link to the form - towards the back of the application you will find guidance on documentary evidence that suggests what you should send, different addresses are not a problem as long as you can prove that both you and your wife were at those addresses together.