No retirement visa for uk citizens till age 65

Why can't the guys from the UK just do what the US people have done for years? Enter the country on 30 day visa exempt status, open a Thai bank account, immediately transfer 800,000 baht into that account, then convert the visa exempt status into a 90 O visa. During the final 30 days of that 90 "o" visa, return to Immigration with a bank letter telling them all about your nicely aged 800,000 baht account and presto, you'll have a 12-month visa extension due to retirement.

The OP can jump start the process by opening the bank account and transferring the money early.

Yes they can. But not all people like to live full time in Thailand. The non O is good if you like to stay in both your home country and Thailand. It's also good if you don't have or like to transfer 800k to a Thai bank

It appears the option for a non-o has been removed unless of course you are 65+

Why can't the guys from the UK just do what the US people have done for years? Enter the country on 30 day visa exempt status, open a Thai bank account, immediately transfer 800,000 baht into that account, then convert the visa exempt status into a 90 O visa. During the final 30 days of that 90 "o" visa, return to Immigration with a bank letter telling them all about your nicely aged 800,000 baht account and presto, you'll have a 12-month visa extension due to retirement.

The OP can jump start the process by opening the bank account and transferring the money early.

Nancyl

I think you must have misread my original post ,I'm not 50 untill April 2015 let alone 65.

The ruling before was that I could apply for non imm o at 50 but it appears it is now 65.

I already have a Thai bank ac with sufficient funds but that does not make me eligible because of my age.

P.s an American I know from my local bar aged 55 has just been refused a retirement visa after 5 years of having one although I don't know the reasons why

• 2 weeks later...

paz, who is a regular contributor on this Forum, and who is very knowledgeable on visa issues posted a message on a thread that I had started about options for Retirement / Long Stay in Thailand.

I had said that the web page for Cardiff RTC is misleading. It implies that those who are over 50 are not eligible for single entry Category 'O's; they are only eligible for multi entry 'O's. Cardiff has confirmed that in fact those over 50 are eligible for both single entry and multi entry 'O's if, of course, they meet the financial criteria. paz suggested that I should post a message on this thread, as it may be of interest.

The thread can be read, if you are interested, if you click HERE and go to post # 13.

I hope that you find it of help.

• Like 1

paz, who is a regular contributor on this Forum, and who is very knowledgeable on visa issues posted a message on a thread that I had started about options for Retirement / Long Stay in Thailand.

I had said that the web page for Cardiff RTC is misleading. It implies that those who are over 50 are not eligible for single entry Category 'O's; they are only eligible for multi entry 'O's. Cardiff has confirmed that in fact those over 50 are eligible for both single entry and multi entry 'O's if, of course, they meet the financial criteria. paz suggested that I should post a message on this thread, as it may be of interest.

The thread can be read, if you are interested, if you click HERE and go to post # 13.

I hope that you find it of help.

Thanks for that link silver sea , that answers a lot of questions a very helpful link

Unless you are staying in Bangkok or within the catchment area of one of the very few provincial offices such as Jomtien (Pattaya) who will be able to process the 90-day O visa conversion, this part of the operation will prove easier said than done since a special trip to Chaengwattana Immigration from whatever far-flung corner of LOS you might be staying in will be required solely for this purpose.

Edited by OJAS

Couldn't the people in UK apply for the non O multiple in another EU country? It's very easy to get if you are 50 in other countries.

This will in all probability depend on the policies followed by individual Thai embassies and consulates across the EU. Suspect that in practice multiple non-O's will most likely only be issued to nationals of the EU country in question, or to UK residents of that country who can prove their residency status.

Does it mean that a POOR Englishman on State Pension of about 140 quid a week, can get retirement extension, whereas a 50 - 65 yr old needs to show 14000 pa. or 700 quid a week.

I hope that english guys dont have to show 700gbp per week,thats 36,400gbp per year
Nice to see that in the UK Maths is still not yet the strongest competence Edited by laolover88

Couldn't the people in UK apply for the non O multiple in another EU country? It's very easy to get if you are 50 in other countries.

This will in all probability depend on the policies followed by individual Thai embassies and consulates across the EU. Suspect that in practice multiple non-O's will most likely only be issued to nationals of the EU country in question, or to UK residents of that country who can prove their residency status.

If they can ger multiple non O visas here in Asia, why not in EU ? At least they live in an EU country.

If they can ger multiple non O visas here in Asia, why not in EU ? At least they live in an EU country.

Because This Is Thailand (TIT) - or, rather, the Thai embassies and consulates in EU countries are! Might prove easier for Brits to get a single non O from an EU embassy/consulate, though.

Edited by OJAS

• 10 months later...

i phoned hull a few days ago, 3/7/2015, and actually spoke to Alan Taylor. who is the consul i believe.

he informed me that this visa is still avalable for u.k. pensioners when they reach 65,

on production of the letter from D.W.P. no minimum required.

50GBP for a 90 day and 135GBP for a multiple entry valid for a year.

with the multiple entry you do a visa run every 90 days and if you go

a day before the "use by' date you get another 90 days, in effect giving you 15 months.

i hope they dont change the goalposts on this one as i am hoping to apply next year.

probably at london. you can do a 'walk in ' at hull to get one.

questions,

have any other readers got the said visa in any U.K. consul?

would it be possible to get the said visa in a neighbouring country,

i.e. vientiene in loas, etc.

thanks in advance for any feedback,

jerry.

The over 65 rule only applies in the UK.

You will not get a multiple entry non-o visa at any nearby embassy or consulate unless you have 800k baht in the bank and that is only in Penang.

• Like 1

You will not get a multiple entry non-o visa at any nearby embassy or consulate unless you have 800k baht in the bank and that is only in Penang.

Could he not get one at Vientiane in PDR Laos with 800k in the bank as well as Penang?

Could he not get one at Vientiane in PDR Laos with 800k in the bank as well as Penang?

Only Penang will do the multiple entry visa if you have the 800k baht.

Vientiane does not issue any multiple entry visas to non Laotian citizens or residents.

Savannakhet will only do multiple entry visas based upon marriage or in some cases for having a Thai child.

Cheaper in Thailand, 38GBP for 1 year retirement VISA extension for those over 50.

Depends...

If you have to exit-reenter Thailand during your 1-year,

with an extension you will need to buy rentry-permits

and then an OA would be less expensive.

If you have to exit-reenter Thailand during your 1-year,

with an extension you will need to buy rentry-permits

and then an OA would be less expensive.

Actually O-A is much more expensive. For one it costs £125 in the UK, plus the cost of certificates and notarization (some hundreds), plus it still needs a re-entry permit in the 2nd year.