Cambodia or Vietnam for a 6 holiday inc visa run

My wife and I have been to neither so looking for advice.

It's my wife's birthday on Oct 20, my 90 day Non O visa run on 24th and fancy a change - ie beach, diff't people, wine and food.

Would appreciate some 'non lavish' suggestions for a 5-7 day break.

Cheers

Well if you like old ruins then Angkor Wat is hard to beat but you may not want to stay there for a week.    We went last year and 3 to 4 days is plenty to see everything unless you're really into that type of thing.      We went to Vietnam in March for 10 days.   Hung around HCMC for a few days then up to Nha Trang.      Both trips were rather inexpensive  but that would change if you prefer 5 star type hotels.   

Nah Trang is a very pleasant beach resort....tons of good hotels at bargain prices....the sailing club bar/restaurant/entertainment  is probably the most upscale spot on the beach but even it is very affordable for food and beverage and very nicely done....beer is good and very cheap all over Vietnam....if you like to walk nah trang has some really good beachside sidewalks that stretch for miles....

For Beach I would suggest Nha Trang in Vietnam.  It's been a few years since I've been there but in my opinion it's got a great beach and great night life too.

I was in Nha Trang in March for several days (my first trip there was in 1969).     Great beach and lots to do but be advised the city has been taken over by Russian tourists.   I had no complaints but others may.      

• Like 2

I've never done anything touristy in all my short trips to HCMC, but it does offer plenty of history, and historical sites, it's on the river, it has numerous parks, the usual Western outlets - Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. - and plenty of choice in accommodation. I do intend to take the family for a break, and to see some of the sights.

For Beach I would suggest Nha Trang in Vietnam.  It's been a few years since I've been there but in my opinion it's got a great beach and great night life too.

I was in Nha Trang in March for several days (my first trip there was in 1969).     Great beach and lots to do but be advised the city has been taken over by Russian tourists.   I had no complaints but others may.      

'... the city has been taken over by Russian tourists.' Vietnam's answer to Pattaya, then.

• Like 1

Hoi An (about 30 minutes south of Da Nang) might be a place you'd like.  I really enjoyed it when I was there earlier this year.   

The beaches are very nice - legitimate to think about surfing here.  The beach road traffic was very relaxed and the area is more into bicycling than anywhere else I've been in Asia.  Tours are available to places like Mi Lai and My Son.  There's a lantern festival if you happen to be there for a full moon.   

I simply loved the food there.  Your wife may enjoy taking a cooking class if you go.  

Hue, about (2 hours north of Hoi An) would be another area worth looking into for its historical ruins.  Don't think there is much access to beaches there though.

-tom

• Like 2

Why only Vietnam, or Cambodia to choose from? 

Was never in Vietnam, neither Siem Reap,

but with woman could look it, (was a year in Sihanoukville living + visits to Phnom Penh)

After that, a flight down and an inexpensive holiday in Sihanoukville.

http://www.kos.aero/en/flight-info/flight-search#anchor

TIME ORIGIN WEEKDAY AIRCRAFT TYPE FLIGHT TYPE FLIGHT NUMBER AIRLINES 14:00 SIEM REAP -2-4-67 AT7 PASSENGER K6131 k6_small.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

http://www.travelfish.org/transport/vietnam/south_central_vietnam/khanh_hoa/nha_trang/all

get  lower beds in a  4 berth soft sleeper Saigon to Nah Trang is not so bad....buy ticket early and get the soft sleeper even though it is daytime as much much more private and comfortable than a normal seat......about 7 hours ride leave early am arrive nah trang early afternoon...unlike thai trains the beds are in a fixed position 24 hours a day so you can lie back and look out the window even in daytime...overall pretty comfy way to travel....

most all of the taxis I used in nah trang used meters no problems no hassles...however if you arrive via train best to walk a few hundred meters away from train station and avoid taxi touts at the station.....taxi fares are cheap in nah trang.....

Seems Nha Trang is the favoured place, is it better to fly to Hanoi or HoChi Min?

Better to fly to HCMC....people should remember that in the north from November onwards can be chilly....Hoi An at Xmas was 16C and rained a lot for example.

HCMC is hot all year round. Edited by smokie36