Recent new build house in thai wifes name - How do I change it to mine?

Hi

I have recently built a new house on land that I purchased with my wife.  When I asked about the tabien ban she said that she had already received it and that the property was listed in her name.

This is not what we agreed and now I am insisting that the title should be in my name instead.  Can anyone tell me what I will need to achieve this and what it will cost as well.

Thanks

JAF

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, you dont say where you are.

Was a building permit ever issued at the local ket (if in Bkk) or OBT if upcountry?

Or is this one of these back of a fag packet issued by some local puu yai baan in the back of beyond?

It may well be too late to have a building permit issued retrospectively, if one was ever issued in the first place.

Usufruct or lease may be your only option.

Sorry, you dont say where you are.

Was a building permit ever issued at the local ket (if in Bkk) or OBT if upcountry?
Or is this one of these back of a fag packet issued by some local puu yai baan in the back of beyond?

It may well be too late to have a building permit issued retrospectively, if one was ever issued in the first place.

Usufruct or lease may be your only option.

Very good point! Thailand the illusive verbatim of what is....

You can get a Usufruct which gives you "ownership" of the house for your lifetime. Your name will be on the Chanote.

It means that you have the lawful right to use the house and land.. Your wife still owns it and can still sell the house but only with you in it.

It is a pretty simple process and can be done at the local Amphur offices.

Search the forum there have been mahy threads about this in the past

• Like 2

Just my two pence worth

Blue (for Thais) and Yellow (farangs) Tabien Bahn indicate who is registered as living at that address

They are no indication of property ownership.wai.gif

15 / 18 years ago when land was cheap (especially in the boonies) and building cost were not too expensive added to good GPB and Dollar exchange rate it was all a fun game. Now it a dangerous game unless you are very wealthy and know the risks you are taking.

Edited by maprao
  • Like 2

Many places you can build without any permit at all. I have built 4 shops and a house with no permit, in fact the authorities said we could do what we wanted in our area which is less than 2 kilo from a major centre. Therefore no permits and no names as yet.

Cheers for the advice guys, even though some of it is negative it still gives me food for thought.  I have been married for 14 years so as mentioned previously I do have some protection under sin somros but I will read up more about the usufruct and get that taken care of in the near future.

JAF

Get a Usufruct if your land office will issue one.  if they wont, get a lawyer to arrange one from the land office

this way she will never be able to sell it, or put it with the bank, and she wont be able to deny you access

• Like 2

From what i have heard, you can only own it if the house does not touch the ground, ie...on stilts...other than that you are "SOL". She owns it now and not much of a chance you ever will. I'm so sorry for you.

From what i have heard, you can only own it if the house does not touch the ground, ie...on stilts...other than that you are "SOL". She owns it now and not much of a chance you ever will. I'm so sorry for you.

Did you hear this down at the barber shop? One of the neighbors tell you?

• Like 2

Get yourself a userfruct as well. Right to use the land for the rest of your life and to derive any profit from its use also , such as rental.
Cost 75 bht. Just go down to the land office with the Chanort and fill in the forms and your name and the userfruct will be written on the back of the Chanort itself , meaning it's highly unlikely anyone would ever buy it with out you agreeing to remove that userfruct, banks wouldn't lend with out your signature etc.

Chock dee

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Many places you can build without any permit at all. I have built 4 shops and a house with no permit, in fact the authorities said we could do what we wanted in our area which is less than 2 kilo from a major centre. Therefore no permits and no names as yet.

I hope the authorities were kind enough to give you that piece of advice in writing on offical gov't head writing paper, signed and stamped with an official signature and copy of the person signing its id card.

Buildings have been torn down way before the latest crack down and will continue to be razed to the ground.

Illegal builds in Petchabun spring to mind,villages in Rayong spring to mind..

Best of luck, hope you sleep easy in you bed at night based on the advice of your local authorities.

she got what she wanted... a farang to pay for HER house

now, if the arguments start occuring soon, you know it is almost time to pack your bags

yes belg he doesn't want to go upsetting her or he might find her brother getting involved w00t.gif ,dont forget op.its what you promised her the first night.giggle.gif