Rat in House: Chances for Disease?

rcox81

I have cats, I have no rats.  And any that get by the cats, don't get by the dogs.  So the rule at my house is that if critters can't stick on a wall out of reach -- their lifespan is limited.  Well, unless you're a scorpion or tarantula.  Then the dogs go into warning barks and the human takes care of the rest.

Edited by connda

Why all this hate for Rodents?

Wiping out 1/3 of the human race, for starters.

If only we ( bilderberg group) could control which third got wiped out.........perhaps you may never have made it thus far, little hard shell creature.

Many Yachties have cats to keep the rats at bay....... do you have a pussy on ya dhow missta lobsta?

Da lobster always has snapper

Having a cat works well. Even if the cat is well fed and does not chase the rats, the rats will leave if they smell cat urine. Better if the cat does not interact with the rats. So do the detol thing mentioned above then get an unneutered male cat. They will stink up your entrance but they are not a health hazard as long as they have a clean litter box and THAT IS ESSENTIAL! Start with a 6 month old male. He will become a close and clean friend. Feed him good quality dry and wet food. Do not discipline a cat. They do bad things to send you a message. Usually the problem is that you haven't cleaned the litter box so they sh.t on any drain they can find. They rip up your toilet paper because it is fun. They like to sleep on paper or cardboard. They are still way better than rats

I'm not knocking your post but my experience of cats in Thailand is they are too frightened to catch rats. Some rats are huge. Cats would prefer to go for lizards and birds.

I've only ever seen dogs kill rats. Your experience maybe different of course.

Out in the field in Isaan, the brother in law catches rats the size of a small dog.   Eats em up.

Innfection caused by bacteria of the Leptospira type are transmitted by both wild and domestic animals.

Diseases include: Leptospirosis, Weil's disease, and severe pulmonary haemorrhage syndrome

The most common animals that spread the disease are rodents. It is often transmitted by animal urine or water containing animal urine coming into contact with breaks in the skin, the eyes, mouth, nose or vagina.

The Thais call it simply "Lepto" aka Dog Piss Fever.

You probably have nothing to worry about.

I recommend setting quite a few extra traps and see if you catch more in order to determine if you are dealing with an infestation. Then, disinfect with Dettol where you feel it is appropriate.

Most Thai people don't get Lepto from rats. Actually, they eat them.

They often catch Lepto from walking in thongs with open sores/wounds on their feet in a Soi that was covered in dog's piss during a downpour, when the Soi is flooded.

Wiping out 1/3 of the human race, for starters.
If only we ( bilderberg group) could control which third got wiped out.........perhaps you may never have made it thus far, little hard shell creature.

Many Yachties have cats to keep the rats at bay....... do you have a pussy on ya dhow missta lobsta?

Da lobster always has snapper

You'll be tight sailor ! Just keep the bow into the wind & the mainsail full of wind.... Even the rats won't catch ya.

You must be due to sail into the sunset at any moment.

Having a cat works well. Even if the cat is well fed and does not chase the rats, the rats will leave if they smell cat urine. Better if the cat does not interact with the rats. So do the detol thing mentioned above then get an unneutered male cat. They will stink up your entrance but they are not a health hazard as long as they have a clean litter box and THAT IS ESSENTIAL! Start with a 6 month old male. He will become a close and clean friend. Feed him good quality dry and wet food. Do not discipline a cat. They do bad things to send you a message. Usually the problem is that you haven't cleaned the litter box so they sh.t on any drain they can find. They rip up your toilet paper because it is fun. They like to sleep on paper or cardboard. They are still way better than rats

I'm not knocking your post but my experience of cats in Thailand is they are too frightened to catch rats. Some rats are huge. Cats would prefer to go for lizards and birds.

I've only ever seen dogs kill rats. Your experience maybe different of course.

Out in the field in Isaan, the brother in law catches rats the size of a small dog.   Eats em up.

Are you inviting me for dinner? I'll have to consult Mr. Costas on a suitable wine to accompany rat. He should know.

Unfortunately/fortunately for you Thai's like frogs more than rats for dinner. 5555

Rats are actually quite popular up here in Isan. You can buy them in the markets, splayed open on display if you're too squeemish to catch them yourself. Taste like... Well, anyway, they taste horrible, if you ask me.

--S

When I lived in Issan, a friend came over one evening with a bowl and said try this. Hmm, red hot Chillies and mutillated bones in a sauce. It was smashed to little pieces, Issan style, with a Machete. It was Rat, But field rat not town rat.

jb1

If cooked good there is no reason to worry, our whole family eats rats on a regular basis tongue.png

Ah living the dream. What rat recipes do you recommend? I know KFC style rat is quite expensive. About 250 baht per kilo.

Of course there is a chance of getting sick. And remember it is not a RAT it RATS. There are many of them so call some professional to get rid of them all, no matter how much it cost you. If the it is expensive and flat is not yours then change it.

Extreme high risks of disease from rats, especially in a tropical country like Thailand. You can catch bubonic plague, Weil's disease, hantavirus, and many other potentially fatal diseases from rats. Google "diseases from rats" to find out more. Suggest you find another place to live before it's too late!

Nah, just make sure it's cooked properly and it's good to go smile.png

Seriously, where there's one rat there's many, time to get the rat man in to deal with the beasties.

If they keep letting them go he'll have to employ the boy full time.