Feds: Man fondled sleeping passenger on Detroit-Amsterdam flight

webfact

Feds: Man fondled sleeping passenger on Detroit-Amsterdam flight
By Tresa Baldas
Detroit Free

DETROIT: -- A 19-year-old female passenger en route to Amsterdam from Detroit fell asleep mid-flight, only to wake up and discover the man seated next to her had his hands down her underpants and was fondling her, according to a criminal complaint filed Wednesday in federal court in Detroit.

The alleged incident happened more than two years ago, aboard a Delta Air Lines flight that left Detroit for Amsterdam.

But it wasn’t until today that criminal charges were filed in U.S. District Court in Detroit against the 32-year-old man, Janarol Dickens, who is charged with engaging in abusive sexual contact. He is an American citizen, but not from Michigan.

Authorities say American courts have jurisdiction over the crime because it was committed on an aircraft whose last departure was in the U.S.

Here’s how the man ultimately wound up in court, and why it took so long.

According to an FBI agent’s affidavit, on June 10, 2012, a 19-year-old Norwegian woman boarded a Delta Air Lines flight in Detroit, headed to Amsterdam.

Full story: http://www.freep.com/article/20140730/NEWS05/307300195/Janarol-Dickens-flight-detroit-amsterdam

-- Detroit Free Press 2014-08-01

Did he really do that?...Was I just dreaming?...Was it a fantasy that I can not differentiate from reality?...Why did it take me two years to cry foul?...Why didn't I let out a blood curdling scream and cause a scene when this supposed to have happened?

• Like 1

Did he really do that?...Was I just dreaming?...Was it a fantasy that I can not differentiate from reality?...Why did it take me two years to cry foul?...Why didn't I let out a blood curdling scream and cause a scene when this supposed to have happened?

So you're saying she made this up? Apparently, he confessed.

Victim approached flight attendant crying mediate after she woke up crying. She also notified authorities when plane landed. Where do you get the "two years to cry foul?"

The scum bag remained out of US for 2 years, but was promptly picked up at the airport upon his arrival back into the US.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/30/feds-man-fondled-sleeping-passenger-on-flight/13377063/

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

He said, she said.

No evidence.

Why would anyone admit to a crime when there was no evidence?

Strange story.

Poor girl, if true.

Poor guy, if not true.

He sealed his fate by confessing to the FBI.

I believe the answer to the question of why he admitted to it lies in the interrogation techniques these trained professionals use. They can get a person to crack by using the right phrases, maybe like, "I can tell you're just dying to get this off your chest." and "C'mon, you touched her just a little I bet. Hell we've all done it." "Just sign this and you can be on your way and get some sleep" or whatever else. The average jet lagged traveler will not be able to stand up to their techniques. Good cop, bad cop, fellow-molester cop.

Non-career criminals usually underestimate western law enforcement officers' abilities and intelligence.

He said, she said.

No evidence.

Strange story.

Poor girl, if true.

Poor guy, if not true.

I believe the answer to the question of why he admitted to it lies in the interrogation techniques these trained professionals use. They can get a person to crack by using the right phrases, maybe like, "I can tell you're just dying to get this off your chest." and "C'mon, you touched her just a little I bet. Hell we've all done it." "Just sign this and you can be on your way and get some sleep" or whatever else. The average jet lagged traveler will not be able to stand up to their techniques. Good cop, bad cop, fellow-molester cop.

Non-career criminals usually underestimate western law enforcement officers' abilities and intelligence.

Yes these same thoughts came across my mind. Lots of science and experience have been collected over the years, so this guy was probably a textbook case when it came to getting him to confess.

He said, she said.

No evidence.

Strange story.

Poor girl, if true.

Poor guy, if not true.

Just another American (actually, apparently several) with women issues, perhaps dumped too many times when young. Disgusting to re-victimize a women, without any facts, subjected to sexual abuse. What would she have to gain from flashy accussing some stranger, pervert on plane she did not know. Pervert admitted to placing hands on her, albeit not inside her panties. Victim's story corroborated. Good enough for me and a conviction or plea will soon follow. End of story.

Edited by F430murci

What would she have to gain from flashy accussing some stranger, pervert on plane she did not know. Pervert admitted to placing hands on her, albeit not inside her panties. Victim's story corroborated. Good enough for me and a conviction or plea will soon follow. End of story.

I've often wondered that myself, but false accusations happen so often.

Makes it hard to know what to believe sometimes.

PS

Please note, the OP says "alleged incident"

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Fondled....?Oh the horror of it...

This garbage passes as news these days?

Making light of sexual molestation. Impressive specimen. The news aspect was perhaps the circumstances, timing and jurisdictional issues. Nevertheless, if you fondled one of my daughters I am afraid I might be in the news for what would happen to you. Sexual abuse should not be tolerated or made light.

He said, she said.

No evidence.

Strange story.

Poor girl, if true.

Poor guy, if not true.

The threshold for sex crimes in the US, is very low. Basically, you can get convicted from the testimony of only the victim. It is a dangerous system. I assume a lot of men have been wrongfully convicted over the years, with the lack of burden of proof. The courts, and the prosecutors in the US are rabid dogs when it comes to their desire to convict over sex crimes. I am not saying these guys who are guilty do not deserve what is coming to them. Having sex with a minor, or forcing yourself upon a woman is a terrible crime. But, the ferocity with which the authorities pursue these sorts of crimes in the US is alarming. Sex is considered very, very dirty in America. You are simply not supposed to have sex, much less enjoy it. The level of hypocritical puritanism that runs throughout that culture is scary. A lot of very unresolved stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So you're saying she made this up? Apparently, he confessed.

Victim approached flight attendant crying mediate after she woke up crying. She also notified authorities when plane landed. Where do you get the "two years to cry foul?"

The scum bag remained out of US for 2 years, but was promptly picked up at the airport upon his arrival back into the US.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/30/feds-man-fondled-sleeping-passenger-on-flight/13377063/

I apparently rushed to judgment without reading all the information...if what you say Is true...I stand corrected...tks...

The threshold for sex crimes in the US, is very low. Basically, you can get convicted from the testimony of only the victim. It is a dangerous system. I assume a lot of men have been wrongfully convicted over the years, with the lack of burden of proof. The courts, and the prosecutors in the US are rabid dogs when it comes to their desire to convict over sex crimes. I am not saying these guys who are guilty do not deserve what is coming to them. Having sex with a minor, or forcing yourself upon a woman is a terrible crime. But, the ferocity with which the authorities pursue these sorts of crimes in the US is alarming. Sex is considered very, very dirty in America. You are simply not supposed to have sex, much less enjoy it. The level of hypocritical puritanism that runs throughout that culture is scary. A lot of very unresolved stuff.

So let me get this right, and put it in perspective. If your on a plane and the guy next to you decides that once you fall asleep it's OK for him to have a little touch and feel with your penis? You wouldn't mind?

The US is rather puritanical, but I don't think that's the issue. I don't think it's OK for a young lady to be fondled inside or outside her clothes while strapped into a seat. That has nothing to do with a US attitude.

You might want to reassess your moral compass.

He said, she said.

No evidence.

Strange story.

Poor girl, if true.

Poor guy, if not true.

Interesting. 20 + years as a lawyer, tried cases in 7 states clerked for intermediate and Supreme Court judges and I have never seen or experienced what you allege. What the heck does enjoying sex have to do with rape or sexual battery? Sex considered dirty in America??? You and I live in very different realities.