Provisional Teacher's License, Work Permit & Schools That Check On Degrees Of Foreigners...

Hello,

Just had to submit a copy of my degree, plus transcripts to our sometimes miscoordinating coordinator. She showed me a letter from educational area two, where our school belongs to and apologized for it....

I've posted that, as I just came back from Khurusapha,where I've received my third provisional teacher's license. I assume that it was easy for me, because i still had a valid one for another school.

It seems that all government schools have received such a letter, as too many foreigners seem to be on fake degrees. 

I do have my degree translated into Thai, certified and do not have a problem. i was just curious, as i thought the TCT would do such checks?

When I went for my provisional, there's nothing about "World of Almanac", or any other proof that my degree is a real one. 

I've never ever seen a competent coordinator, being able to check on somebody's degree. So, why does the TCT order all schools to check on their foreign staff, if that would be their responsibility?

I assume the reason for doing so is that they don't just have the order to "check" on foreigners' degrees, moreover they'll have to report their visa status as well.

That was another part on the document, sent to our coordinator. But then would somebody from a school really "report" that somebody's working on a tourist, or ed visa?

I remember when i first started in 2005, it was already the schools' responsibility to make sure that foreigners have a real degree. But the truth is, it can be too complicated, that even native English speakers would find it hard to verify a degree online.

So is that another flop coming from TCT showing their ability in not knowing what they do? Did they ask you to submit a copy of your degree just recently?

They could really shut down the TCT and make a Shooting Pimp Pong Ball Saloon out of it. Good day, enjoy teaching as it is. 

I think there was a thread some years back regarding fake degrees and the experience of one member who had been caught.

This is not about some years ago, where people didn't even need a TCT letter. The educational XXX offices just issued a letter and work permits were received without any problems.

Once the TCT started their unbelievable good service, where you had to wait up to six months to get your provisional TL, the started to hit the fan.

I know quite a few foreigners working here on no visa, ed visa, retirement visa, fake degrees, lifetime degrees, "modified" criminal background checks, etc...

I do believe it makes perfect sense to find out if a person had been in prison, molested a child, etc...who wants to be a teacher in LOS.

And I also agree that foreigners should have the right type of visa, a sort of an education, plus the knowledge to teach English as a second language to Thai kids.\

I do like my job and the kids are innocent in a system that's more than questionable.

Honestly speaking, what i get back from kids is worth more than my 33 K/month. I'm still in touch with ex students I had at a high school who became doctors, engineers, teachers, etc and it's nice to see how our son developed his English and his view of life.

Wish all "windmill fighters" doing a similar job a good weekend. 

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

The process for checking UK degrees is available online https://www.hedd.ac.uk/

If wishing to do this outside of this service most universities have their own an online system for former students to provide their details of course etc and then the University will forward the validation onward to the school or third party management address.

I do not know if this is widespread in Europe / US

However if it was - Then it would be relatively easy for Thai authorities (If they know that this service exists) - To then make it the responsibility of the individual teachers to apply and provide an independent verification process that can be validated, standardized and check-able - To a centralized Government office and not through an intermediary, which is currently the school itself

There is a way that TCT verifies your institution, but maybe not your individual degree. I am the coordinator for foreign teachers at my school, and have been instructed by both TCT and the Provincial Education Service Office to use a website through the workforce management. Unfortunately I am away from my computer so cannot give the address.

I have found that USA and UK universities have almost no issues at all. Philippines, South Africa and Camerron have significant issues though, as apparently one is able to "purchase" their Bachelors degree, and so TCT will not certify that university. It sucks for the people that worked for their degree....because I have not yet had a University certified for the Philippines and have had to turn away quite a few applicants because of it.
  • Like 1

There is a way that TCT verifies your institution, but maybe not your individual degree. I am the coordinator for foreign teachers at my school, and have been instructed by both TCT and the Provincial Education Service Office to use a website through the workforce management. Unfortunately I am away from my computer so cannot give the address.

I have found that USA and UK universities have almost no issues at all. Philippines, South Africa and Camerron have significant issues though, as apparently one is able to "purchase" their Bachelors degree, and so TCT will not certify that university. It sucks for the people that worked for their degree....because I have not yet had a University certified for the Philippines and have had to turn away quite a few applicants because of it.

Awaiting your URL.

If the new teachers have a higher level degree, such as MA, the University will have already checked all the lower undergrad information.

And you mentioned an ASEAN member Degree not being allowed - maybe they need to look at this.again?

Or there will only be a handful of teachers left in Thailand!.

I assume the reason for doing so is that they don't just have the order to "check" on foreigners' degrees, moreover they'll have to report their visa status as well.

Maybe the TCT has realized that teachers with a B.Ed will cost a lot of money. Having the schools check, or not as the case may be, will help keep the salaries lower.

Jesus, guys, just google degrees and transcripts, the first hits will say, "fake degrees and transcripts." This business is rampant all over the globe. For a few hundred dollars you too can have a degree in anything with the transcripts to back it up. Many of these shysters even claim to have follow up services--you know, respond to inquiry letters, send transcripts, acknowledge attendance, send diplomas, etc., all with additional charges, of course.

It's simply been too easy to claim you have a degree and find some diploma mill to send it to you.  Fake experience is little different. How many sewer working yayhoos do you know who claim to be sub-terrainian sanitary engineers?

English teaching in Thailand is just one of the industries in which fake degrees proliferate, but experience is not required.

If you trust a website fine; when I worked in my grad school's admission office--as a requirement for my scholarship--we called the registrar's office of all new student's undergraduate schools to verify attendance, graduation, and have an official letter sent us. 

Some charge 40 pound , 2,000Bt, for this.

I'd pay 2000 pound, even if it would protect only one child being molested by a foreign "teacher."

P.S. If you know one, please page me. It's not just being a tourist police volunteer. It's about being a human being. 

Some charge 40 pound , 2,000Bt, for this.

I'd pay 2000 pound, even if it would protect only one child being molested by a foreign "teacher."

So degree holders AREN'T child molesters but non degree holder's are?????

Kindly explain why you think having a degree is defense against pedophilia?

Are you POCD?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

A proof of my NYU Ph.D. was requested by Mahidol U in 2004 and what was insisted on was a Xerox copy of my diploma, not my official transcript. 

I explained that obtaining a certified transcript is the final proof of a degree, but MU wanted the diploma copy.

It was not easy to copy an oversized document while still remaining inside its very nice frame.  Did it.

Asian degrees are a snap to get, even the real ones.  But, this requirement by Thailand is a step in right direction.

I know quite a few foreigners working here on no visa, ed visa, retirement visa, fake degrees, lifetime degrees, "modified" criminal background checks, etc...

Quixotic allusion aside, what do you plan on doing with this information?

Quixotic allusion aside, what do you plan on doing with this information?

Nothing, beside posting it here. 

"Checks"? What checks?!? 

Wouldn't it be nice if we all could trust some nice looking document, as if it was money.

I've had 22 years old applicants from an African country claiming a Ed degree plus work experience whistling.gif

Then there are those who clearly struggle with a task like "make a lesson plan in 15 minutes" or "write an essay - you got 45 minutes' time". 

Reliance on a piece of paper would be the wrong approach when it comes to weeding out those with fake degrees!

It's pretty obvious that my post was NOT with racial overtones. wasn't a forum like this one created to discuss issues, people might, or might not have.

The point I made was more that quite a few people from several countries seem to have found a way to receive a teacher's license with questionable documentation.

Thus on the other hand was my first hand experience, as i had to interview many applicants in the last years.

My apologies, if somebody had the feeling that I was trying to discriminate people, just because of the fact where they're coming from.

Discussion of moderation will get you a suspension.   

Posts which specifically target a particular group of people as being guilty of something that many people may be guilty of are a racial slur.  

Continue such posts at your own risk.   Here's the applicable rules:

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.