Whole oats in Chiang Mai?

FolkGuitar

I've been trying to find whole oats lately and can't find any place that sells them.

Not 'rolled' oats or 'clipped' oats, I'm looking for the whole intact oat seed. I've been to Kassem's, to the Heath Food store in the street that leads from the moat to the US Consulate, and two other shops that had 'health food' signs in their windows, but while all carried some form of rolled, clipped, ground, or even 'instant,' I haven't been able to locate whole oats.

Anyone seen them for sale? Or have a suggestion where I could find them?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think they are usually identified as Groats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groat_(grain)

I don't eat grains myself. Rarely anyway. This company has a lot of products like that for sale within thailand.

http://puraorganic.org/?wpsc_product_category=floursseedsetc&c=134

If you can live with steel cut oats, which is whole oat groats cut into several smaller pieces, they can be found at the Romping at Promenade.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for the links and suggestions but I'm really looking for WHOLE oats before any processing.  'Groats' are the hulled kernels, rather than the entire oat seed.

Groats or steel-cut oats won't work for my needs.

Just like those! Thanks!
Now to see if the seller will ship to Thailand, if Customs will allow them in, and if it doesn't cost $4,674.00 for shipping,

But... It did give me another venue to check.... The stables at the Army barracks in Mae Rim!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yeah,  the horses luv 'em.  Check the race track at Lanna, maybe some there.  Probably not sold as 'human food' but animal feed. Can you live with that distinction? 

Can, and will!   :)

What you gonna do with them?

Plant 'em.  Which gets me thinking about 'groats...'  If groats still contains the endosperm, there is a possibility that the de-hulling process might not  destroy the seed's viability, and they might grow.... Hmmmmmm.... Certainly worth an experiment!

Plant 'em.  Which gets me thinking about 'groats...'  If groats still contains the endosperm, there is a possibility that the de-hulling process might not  destroy the seed's viability, and they might grow.... Hmmmmmm.... Certainly worth an experiment!

The bad news is, most oats sold are sterile (USA, UK, Europe).
The seed manufactures sell seed that grows sterile crops (and have been for the past ten years).
All part of the brave new world.

Terminator seeds, GURT, V-GURT, Roundup Ready seeds.
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Transnational_corps/TerminatorSeeds_Monsanto.html
(GURT = genetic use restriction technology)

And even more scary, nobody knows this happened (started in the late 1990s).
Unless you're a farmer or from a farming family.
A conspiracy of silence from the world media. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

The bad news is, most oats sold are sterile (USA, UK, Europe).
The seed manufactures sell seed that grows sterile crops (and have been for the past ten years).
All part of the brave new world.

Terminator seeds, GURT, V-GURT, Roundup Ready seeds.
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Transnational_corps/TerminatorSeeds_Monsanto.html
(GURT = genetic use restriction technology)

And even more scary, nobody knows this happened (started in the late 1990s).
Unless you're a farmer or from a farming family.
A conspiracy of silence from the world media.

I knew that Monsanto was doing this with wheat and corn. I should have realized it was with oats as well. Oh well... Perhaps the animal feed oats sold here in Thailand have escaped having their little genitalia cut off and have been happily cohabiting while in the grain sack, arriving at the farm fecund and ready to go forth and multiply!  I'll find out in a few days. Oats sprout quickly.

• Like 1

Yeah,  the horses luv 'em.  Check the race track at Lanna, maybe some there.  

the chaff bag is empty at lanna race track, folk guitar  forget  our stables, the juanta has been mean as they come,since the ?????

but my very affable  owner/  trainer.. the jungle chef has  stabled  me at  the malbui bistro..god luv himbiggrin.png

my ears are pricked. and cantering on my toes, raceday tomorrowtongue.png

race 4 number 4 and i will salute the judges with the old finger sign,just for my birthday which was y/day,

a very nice evening to allsmile.png

Nothing i have read recently suggests that AoA is correct regarding sterile oat seeds.  Such technology is possible but it's all at the trial basis now. The sky is not falling, chicken little.

My family in the US had large farms, all their seed was 'restricted' from about 2003+.
Same for a couple of farmers I was pals with in the UK.

Not trial, but standard for years now.
Ever been on a farm and talked with a farmer?

How the western world governments could allow this to happen is beyond me.
If I were a terrorist, I would target the Monsanto seed production plants, and the whole world would starve.
Scary to think, any event disrupting the centralised seed distribution system, and we all starve.
It's not just grain, but many other food crops. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

From an article by Dan Mitchell, 10 January, 2014:

So, why are there no GMO oats? There are a bunch of reasons, but the main one is, not surprisingly, money. There simply aren’t enough oat farmers in the world, or enough oats grown, to create sufficient demand to justify the incredibly expensive research that goes into developing genetically modified seeds. “There’s no money and no desire” for such research, says Ron Barnett, an oat breeder and professor emeritus of agronomy at the University of Florida.

So, why are there no GMO oats? There are a bunch of reasons, but the main one is, not surprisingly, money. There simply arent enough oat farmers in the world, or enough oats grown, to create sufficient demand to justify the incredibly expensive research that goes into developing genetically modified seeds. Theres no money and no desire for such research, says Ron Barnett, an oat breeder and professor emeritus of agronomy at the University of Florida.

That would be great (if true).
Link please? Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

So, why are there no GMO oats? There are a bunch of reasons, but the main one is, not surprisingly, money. There simply arent enough oat farmers in the world, or enough oats grown, to create sufficient demand to justify the incredibly expensive research that goes into developing genetically modified seeds. Theres no money and no desire for such research, says Ron Barnett, an oat breeder and professor emeritus of agronomy at the University of Florida.

That would be great (if true).
Link please?

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/01/heres-gmo-oats/

Firstly, I bought a packet of cat grass back in Farang land, it turned out to be oats.

Secondly, this is traditionally something that grows in colder climes. I tried barley when I came here, it sprouted ok and that was it, nothing happened.

Johnson gives a very unusual definition for the word oats: 'a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.'

I had some in my garden in Switzerland, more to keep the weeds down than anything else. I couldn't do anything to make the seeds palatable.