Ideas for trip to Pai & Mae Hong Son

laban

I am planning to hire a car from Chiangmai and drive to Pai and then Mae Hong Son. I hear the drive is long and has hundreds of bends.
3 of us will be going and looking to stay in reasonably priced hotels ( 1500++) a room. Appreciate suggestions of hotels, restaurants, things to see and do. I have 7 days for this trip or is that too long?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

7 days is perfect for the "loop".  What a beautiful ride.  Take your time, plenty to see along the way.  Pai is fun for a few days.  MHS also, especially if you do a trek up to see some the mountains.

There's a national park on the way to Pai.  Can't remember the name, but they do have places to stay.  Looked interesting with lots of trails for hiking.

The drive is easy enough for a competent driver. I don't know what the fuss is about. Watch out for the m'bikes though.
There are a couple of great view points to stop at on the hill tops.

Coming from Chiang Mai, look out for the amazing hotel on the side of a hill in the gorge( before Pai ). Definitly worth a photo. I'd stay there just for the experience if I had time.

Pai is horrible IMO. Too many bagpackers in their ghetto near the bus station. Before reaching Pai, there are loads of fruit stalls- the strawberries are delicious. There are also several restaurants and a "lovers" photostop with a fantastic view for photos.

Before MHS there is the road to Cave Lodge. Check it out.

Also, the fish pool place is worth a visit.

In MHS you will have to stay at an hotel as the guest houses don't have parking, unless you want to park on the street.
Try to stay near the lake, for a nice stroll in the evening. Couple of scenic temples by the lake too.
Other than the lake, MHS is dead at night time. Few restaurants open, but boring as.

7 days. I was happy with 2, but I only did half the loop ( went via the mountain route- now that really is rugged ) and only stayed one night in MHS. Stay places on the way to MHS and would probably be OK. Edited by thaibeachlovers

Pai is indeed over run by cheap backpackers.  We stayed out of town a bit on the river and it was quite nice.  But we did not like the "downtown" area.

Cave Lodge is pretty cool.  If you have a chance, do a kayak trip with them.  Great fun.  Even better, do the overnight kayak trip from near there to MHS.  Really fun.  They'll shuttle your car for you.

• Like 1

I haven't been to Pai area for a few years, now, so don't know how it's changed..... but the Canyon just south of town is a worth while visit, especially close to sunset.thumbsup.gif

DSC01655.JPG

Waiting for sun set at Pai canyon...

DSC03026.JPG

The Lom Lot caves (not sure if that is spelt correctly) north of Pai, well worth and afternoon to visit! 

Be warned it can get darn cold up in the hills, if you drive back after dark! .....have a good jacket in the higher elevations after dark, with bike anyway!! wink.png

the road ( with its 1,864 curves) is an easy day drive, 

don't stop in Pai ( agree, it was overrun with Khao san people)  stop outside there at Soppong at the river inn, great place on the river an a fantastic restaurant. Visit the caves outside town  ( Pangmapha) also a stop at Tham Lot.

Visit the cave lodge while there an have a chat or stay. Run by John Spies, an expert on caves in Thailand

There is  a hotel on the lake in Mae Hong son ( was being remodeled last year)

Take a drive up to Mae Aw, an Chinese outpost town, great drive up.  buy some coffee or tea while there.

It would be really strange to drive all the way to pai and NOT stop in Pai?

Yes there are a lot of young backpacker types there and yes there are tons of Chinese gals there and yes it is overrun with tourists.....BUT......grab a seat and a cold beer or three and sit in one of the bars and watch the passing parade.....travel is about seeing a bit of it all and Pai sure has its share of characters.

It would be really strange to drive all the way to pai and NOT stop in Pai?

Yes there are a lot of young backpacker types there and yes there are tons of Chinese gals there and yes it is overrun with tourists.....BUT......grab a seat and a cold beer or three and sit in one of the bars and watch the passing parade.....travel is about seeing a bit of it all and Pai sure has its share of characters.

I was driving from MHS and Pai was just on the way. However, I did stop at the scenic photostop with all the fruit stalls, but not at the bagpacker ghetto.

MHS:   here are a couple of places to consider staying at in MHS.    Piya Guesthouse, which is on the lake, and Baiyoke Chalet Hotel.    We stayed at the Baiyoke and it was ok.    Google both for details.

I have been to Pai a couple of times over the years and wouldn't bother to go back again but if you have never been there and will be driving past it then definetly stop for a look.

Edited by Spaniel