Two Questions - Am I a tourist? Am I a border-runner?

I have a few questions and I've spent the last hour or so reading up on previous threads only to come up empty handed.

Here is my situation: I am from the US and work there 6 months on and 6 months off. In the past I travelled around quite a bit, spending time in Thailand and the rest of SEA. I have a bit of savings and will be taking quite a bit of time off, about a year and a half.

My girlfriend (Canadian) lives and works in Bangkok with a proper visa and work permit. She gets quite a bit of vacation (guess the profession!)

I just worked it out on a calendar, and for the next year I can get away with 30-day Visa on Arrival at BKK. Twice I'll need a 30-day Visa Extension (which are coming August 29th, I believe). When outside the country, between visas, I'll be gone anywhere from two weeks to two months. Upon returning to Thailand I plan on having having printed bank statements and a flight out of the country within 60 days.

The majority of the responses seem to be "Well, where do you live? Do you have a home back in your country of origin?"

Well, due to the nature of my work I don't have a home. At all. In fact right now I'm living out of a van in NY. I haven't had a 'home' in 6 years, and haven't spent longer than 5 or 6 months in the same place since then. I realize this is a bizarre edge case and that the answer right now is "No one has any idea, lease of all the guy at the desk with the stamp." Just wondering if anyone might perhaps have some insight.

Edited by loltron

the way it looks, youre not getting a visa on arrival, youre getting a 30 day visa exemption. and how do you plan to get two extensions on that? leaving and coming right back in? that makes you a border runner and that is what they are clamping down on.

• Like 1

my understanding was that starting on August 29th you will be able to extend a Visa on Arrival (airport stamp) for 30days while in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744440-longer-visa-exemption-extensions-begin-august-29-2014/

its not a visa on arrival and that will give you one extension for a total of 60 days. you mentioned two extensions. why not just get a tourist visa?

my understanding was that starting on August 29th you will be able to extend a Visa on Arrival (airport stamp) for 30days while in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744440-longer-visa-exemption-extensions-begin-august-29-2014/

its not a visa on arrival and that will give you one extension for a total of 60 days. you mentioned two extensions. why not just get a tourist visa?

Right, I see the confusion. I tried just now to edit my post to make it clearer but it seems I cannot.

Over the next year I will only need to be in Bangkok longer than 30 days on two separate occasions, and in those instances my stay will be less than 60 days, so extending my Visa Exemption seems to be the path of least resistance.

I certainly am no opposed to getting a Tourist Visa outside of Thailand, but that would be a lot more effort than simply getting a stamp in the airport. Of course, if it would be better for Thai Immigration getting a Tourist Visa isn't that much work.

For example: Arrive in BKK, stay 20 days, fly to Turkey for two weeks, return to BKK, stay 28 days, extend visa exemption, fly to the Philippines for two weeks, fly to BKK, stay 25 days, fly to Canada/US for two months, fly to BKK, stay in BKK 28 days, extend visa exemption, fly to Iceland for two weeks... etc etc etc

Edited by loltron

Right, I see the confusion. I tried just now to edit my post to make it clearer but it seems I cannot.

Over the next year I will only need to be in Bangkok longer than 30 days on two separate occasions, and in those instances my stay will be less than 60 days, so extending my Visa Exemption seems to be the path of least resistance.

I certainly am no opposed to getting a Tourist Visa outside of Thailand, but that would be a lot more effort than simply getting a stamp in the airport. Of course, if it would be better for Thai Immigration getting a Tourist Visa isn't that much work.

For example: Arrive in BKK, stay 20 days, fly to Turkey for two weeks, return to BKK, stay 28 days, extend visa exemption, fly to the Philippines for two weeks, fly to BKK, stay 25 days, fly to Canada/US for two months, fly to BKK, stay in BKK 28 days, extend visa exemption, fly to Iceland for two weeks... etc etc etc

not sure anyone can answer definitively on that one then

The ability to extend the 30 day visa exemption on arrival will be perfect for me.  An easy trip to the local immigration office and another 30 days without having to do a visa run.  I go to Thailand once a year, sometimes twice and rarely stay over 30 days, but having the option to easily stay another month sounds great. 

I belive they will stop you if coming so many times on visa exemptions. And also extend them every time. I can't understand why you don't like to get tourist visas? It would be more easy and you don't have ti spend a lot of time at the Immigration
  • Like 1

I belive they will stop you if coming so many times on visa exemptions. And also extend them every time. I can't understand why you don't like to get tourist visas? It would be more easy and you don't have ti spend a lot of time at the Immigration

well i would only extend them less than half the time. also, getting a tourist visa would be a pain in the ass.

visa exemption:

fly to bangkok

go through immigration (2 minutes at the desk)

go to my flat

tourist visa:

fly to hanoi/hong kong or wherever

get a hotel

go to the embassy, fill out paperwork, wait in line, drop off passport

go to hotel

go back to embassy, wait in line, get my passport

go to the airport

fly to bangkok

go to my flat

yea you're right i cant understand why i'd rather just use the visa exemption?

Edited by loltron
  • Like 1

Sorry not to be of any help.

You live in a van in NY, I'm intrigued by that, something I would like to do, definitely cheaper than buying a house.

Can you post a photo of your van please, is it a pimped out van with all the trimmings?

also, getting a tourist visa would be a pain in the ass.

visa exemption:
fly to bangkok
go to my flat

tourist visa:
fly to hanoi/hong kong or wherever
get a hotel
go to the embassy, fill out paperwork, wait in line, drop off passport
go to hotel
go back to embassy, wait in line, get my passport
go to the airport
fly to bangkok
go to my flat

yea you're right i cant understand why i'd rather just use the visa exemption?

Why don't you get the tourist visas in the US?
  • Like 1

There has been postings regarding the implementation of the 30 day extension for visa exempt entries starting August 29.  However nothing has been said to define the restrictions that will be put in place on the use of these entries and the use of multiple entry visas in the out/in scenario. - ie. time between entries, number per year, total time in Thailand/year, etc.   Until there is definition it's a crap shoot!

Loltron, my advice is to get a tourist visa if you know from the outset that you will be staying in Thailand longer than 30 days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

Sorry not to be of any help.

You live in a van in NY, I'm intrigued by that, something I would like to do, definitely cheaper than buying a house.

Can you post a photo of your van please, is it a pimped out van with all the trimmings?

i dont have any pictures handy. it's a mid-90s minivan. took the rear-most seat out, built a bed that extends up to the second bench seat. fold that seat forward and lay a mattress across it and the wooden bed frame in the back. storage cubby holes built into the frame next to the bed and more underneath. it's temporary, just 5 months in total. a gym membership and a couple good parking lots and it's actually pretty comfy!

Why don't you get the tourist visas in the US?

i can get one in the US, but that would only work for the first one or two entries into Thailand. I move around quite a bit, rarely all the way back to the US. Further, if I plan on being in Thailand less than 30 days (or even 60 with the new regulations), why would I get a tourist visa?

There has been postings regarding the implementation of the 30 day extension for visa exempt entries starting August 29.  However nothing has been said to define the restrictions that will be put in place on the use of these entries and the use of multiple entry visas in the out/in scenario. - ie. time between entries, number per year, total time in Thailand/year, etc.   Until there is definition it's a crap shoot!

Thankfully I wont be in BKK past 30 days until February (I'm leaving in October for 2 weeks and again over winter for seven weeks). So hopefully by then we know more!

Loltron, my advice is to get a tourist visa if you know from the outset that you will be staying in Thailand longer than 30 days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hmmm seems to be hard to communicate my travel plans...

Over the next couple years: 30-60 days in Thailand, and then 14-60 days out of Thailand. When out of Thailand, far away from Thai Consulates.

Edited by loltron

If you already have decided that it's too much trouble to get a couple of tourist visas. There is no point in asking

Well, I actually was asking if multiple entries are ok so long as there is a bit of time outside the country between the entries, and the answer is "we still don't know".

If I have to get a Tourist Visa, sure, but I doubt the Out/In requirements will be any different than a Visa Exemption. And since I don't need 90 days, only 30 and occasionally 60, I don't understand why I would bother putting in the extra effort of getting a longer visa when I don't need the extra time.

If you already have decided that it's too much trouble to get a couple of tourist visas. There is no point in asking

Well, I actually was asking if multiple entries are ok so long as there is a bit of time outside the country between the entries, and the answer is "we still don't know".

If I have to get a Tourist Visa, sure, but I doubt the Out/In requirements will be any different than a Visa Exemption. And since I don't need 90 days, only 30 and occasionally 60, I don't understand why I would bother putting in the extra effort of getting a longer visa when I don't need the extra time.

Your options have been given. They are what they are. If what is convenient for you does not coincide with Thai immigration regulations, then guess what, you gotta do what ya gotta do. Simple as that. Aside from coming in and out of Thailand, all your travel plans are unimportant. You are the very sort of person who has immigration saying, "Get the proper visa." Not that you're purposely attempting to abuse the system, but like I said, what's convenient to you is unimportant to immigration.

You may get away with a couple of trips on a visa exemption but they will eventually say, "The next time you need to come in on a visa."

Edited by ScottMallon

So... I don't know maybe it gives you guys some sort of erection saying "Get a visa."

A visa or a visa exemption isn't going to do me a whole hell of a lot of good if they have the same Out/In requirements attached to them. For example, would it be ok to stay in Thailand for 12 months on back to back Tourist Visas? No, it would not. He same as it wouldn't be ok to stay in Thailand for 12 months on back to back Visa Exemptions,

This isn't a question of convenience for me, or Tourist Visa vs Visa Exemption, but AM I LEAVING THE COUNTRY FOR A LONG ENOUGH AMOUNT OF TIME BEFORE COMING BACK- REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT'S A STICKER OR A STAMP IN MY PASSPORT.
  • Like 1

So... I don't know maybe it gives you guys some sort of erection saying "Get a visa."

A visa or a visa exemption isn't going to do me a whole hell of a lot of good if they have the same Out/In requirements attached to them. For example, would it be ok to stay in Thailand for 12 months on back to back Tourist Visas? No, it would not. He same as it wouldn't be ok to stay in Thailand for 12 months on back to back Visa Exemptions,

This isn't a question of convenience for me, or Tourist Visa vs Visa Exemption, but AM I LEAVING THE COUNTRY FOR A LONG ENOUGH AMOUNT OF TIME BEFORE COMING BACK- REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT'S A STICKER OR A STAMP IN MY PASSPORT.

you said 6 to 12 months. 12 months is probably going to be risky no matter which way you go. multiple entries (more than 3) in a year is probably not in the cards for someone in your situation,. 

you said 6 to 12 months. 12 months is probably going to be risky no matter which way you go. multiple entries (more than 3) in a year is probably not in the cards for someone in your situation,. 

Interesting - what are you basing this on? Just the general consensus as to how they will enforce the new regulations?

To the OP, at least for starters, there is a Thai consulate in New York where you say you are staying. So, for your initial stays, a double or even triple entry tourist visa, with extensions obtained from Thai Immigration once in BKK, would be a good start.

At least that way, you don't initially have to rely on 30-day visa exempt stamps. And during that same initial period, hopefully, Immigration's actual on-the-ground implementation of the 30-day visa exempt entries, and repeats of that, will become clearer.

But you'd better understand, right now, it's not at all clear how Immigration is going to handle the issue of repeat visa-exempt entries, and how many repeats and over what time periods they'll be allowing.

So, I'd be asking myself, is the minor inconvenience of getting a tourist visa in New York more of a hassle than potentially arriving in BKK without any visa and being turned back at the airport at some point during the various in/outs?

Well definitely, getting a visa here in NYC is quite easy. My first two entries into Thailand from here will be less than 30 days tho... But perhaps that will help my case later when I'm riding a few Visa Exemptions a few weeks apart...

Interesting - what are you basing this on? Just the general consensus as to how they will enforce the new regulations?

i'ts an opinion based on statements made by immigration authorities and the fact that some folks have already been turned back. i said its a risk. tourist visa will only lessen the risk

To the OP, at least for starters, there is a Thai consulate in New York where you say you are staying. So, for your initial stays, a double or even triple entry tourist visa, with extensions obtained from Thai Immigration once in BKK, would be a good start.

At least that way, you don't initially have to rely on 30-day visa exempt stamps. And during that same initial period, hopefully, Immigration's actual on-the-ground implementation of the 30-day visa exempt entries, and repeats of that, will become clearer.

But you'd better understand, right now, it's not at all clear how Immigration is going to handle the issue of repeat visa-exempt entries, and how many repeats and over what time periods they'll be allowing.

So, I'd be asking myself, is the minor inconvenience of getting a tourist visa in New York more of a hassle than potentially arriving in BKK without any visa and being turned back at the airport at some point during the various in/outs?

Well definitely, getting a visa here in NYC is quite easy. My first two entries into Thailand from here will be less than 30 days tho... But perhaps that will help my case later when I'm riding a few Visa Exemptions a few weeks apart...

The fewer visa exempt entries you need to use, especially in the near term, the better off you're going to be. Save the visa exempts for later in your travels when a] you won't be back to the U.S. and b] Immigration's enforcement policies will hopefully be better known and understood.

The length of your initial entries isn't really relevant for this discussion. What's relevant, is not relying on multiple back-to-back visa exempt entries for the near term, until everyone understand just what Immigration's stance is going to be on length of stays outside Thailand, etc etc.

• Like 1

The fewer visa exempt entries you need to use, especially in the near term, the better off you're going to be. Save the visa exempts for later in your travels when a] you won't be back to the U.S. and b] Immigration's enforcement policies will hopefully be better known and understood.

The length of your initial entries isn't really relevant for this discussion. What's relevant, is not relying on multiple back-to-back visa exempt entries for the near term, until everyone understand just what Immigration's stance is going to be on length of stays outside Thailand, etc etc.

Ok ok... I'm picking up what you're laying down. If that's the case then I'll head down to the Consulate in a couple days. Maybe I'll even see if I can get some information out of them as to how to avoid trouble.

Thanks TallGuy for clearing things up a bit in this murky situation