How much to build a house?

phuketandsee

I know this is a "piece of string" kind of question but I'm trying to put together a rough (very rough) budget for building a house in Phuket. It will be only one story with 4 bedrooms, living room, entertainment room, a Thai style roof and good quality finishes. I'm looking to get a price per square meter (for the house only) if anyone can give me a range. Thanks

Well you were right on when you said "piece of string ". It all depends on the size, shape, details, quality, etc. etc. I have lived and worked building homes in both the Chiang Mai area and Phuket for the last 12 years and it is a major difference in price and quality from one location to the other. Here in Phuket there is so much construction going on that a lot of workers don't worry about job security. They don't have to do a great job , show up on time, produce or do anything expected of them becuase there are always other construction sites looking for workers. PatongPhil was right on the money with his estimate of costs. IF, and it's a big if, you are on the jobsite every single minute that the workers are there and IF you know how to build/construct from the ground up. Bar girls aren't the only ones who are good at acting the part and convincing you to believe them. Get recommendations and check the homes that your prospective contractors have built. Much better if you can get a recommendation from a home owner who knows and truly understands how a home is put together and actually witnessed/supervised the construction of his home. I would say that costs are in the 15 to 25 thousand baht per m2 range for the shell. Patience and good luck........

Not counting the price of land.Depends on the size.I would say where your at 2 million baht the lowest.I'm thinking if you talking about A fair size house maybe 3-5 million.Prices are getting more expensive all the time.

Make sure you do your homework getting A good contractor.You do not want to skimp on this.

We are a contractor in the Surin province area where prices are still reasonable and for a basic house (square shape and simple roof design) but still finished fairly modern and with a few luxury finishes (decent tiles & bathrooms) you would be 15,000 Baht per square metre. A another contractor I know who builds in Hua Hin suggests in that area around 20,000 per square metre, so I would probably say that the Phuket area you will be 25,000 - 30,000 Baht per square metre (basic design - more complicated design). Please also note these are not including swimming pools, these are just house prices. Some builders also throw in aircons and hot water makers included in the price, we do anyway, but not normally any furniture like built in wardrobes and proper wooden built fitted western kitchens, these would be extra you need to agree with. Also be sure to get a quality contractor and a good contract and make sure you get a full spec signed by both contractor and customer, also watch out any changes you make will be extra costs to yourself even if work has not even started.

How long is a piece of string?

Indeed. I built (had built) a 3 bedroom, single storey, villa style house in the north about 10 years ago. It has 'medium' price range fixtures and fittings, it cost a million. I would say 4 bedrooms with good fixtures ... you got to be looking at least 1.5 mill.

Edited by lostmebike

The house we want to build in Issan (Kalasin area) is being quoted at 15,400 baht per square meter. It's a little on the high-end side, but not all that much. We've had higher and lower quotes. It would seem prices have risen steeply over the last few years. This price includes a double Q-Con wall and a double layered roof (Thai style). Nothing else too special.

Can't understand why they quote PER SQ METRE. Surely the middle of a room, whatever the size, comes 'free of charge' with just the floor tiles and the roof as extras. Bit like carpet fitting in UK which is quoted in sq mtrs and they only 'fit' the outside edges.

I got a four bed, nice job done near Phitsanulok, 250 sq mtrs for 2.5 million, plus aircons etc.....3 million. NICE!

I pushed the boat out in Sakon Nahkon 8 x 8 mtrs cost me 415000 bht and the English pound was 73.5 bht......I am not saying it was well built but 10 years on I ve not even changes a light bulb.....as solid as a rock.......cost £ 6000 English pounds and I haven't had to spend 1 baht on it.....roll on the next 10 years....ok maybe and I mean maybe might have to change a light bulb..........building in Phuket might be better buying your own materials from outside Phuket and getting a price to build it.....just an idea.......,but would probably save a small fortune......good luck......

I built a house in northern Chiang mai.

3 bedroom, 190 sqm area, 1 rai, teak windows and doors.

1 Mbaht, In Phuket same house will cost you 5-6 Mbaht.

Wow that is pretty cheap if you are including the 1 rai in the 1 million baht. how long ago was this?

Don't know a thing about sq metre prices, but if I could only offer one piece of advice if you are getting a house built. Pay it in stages as the builder completes each step.

We had a house built in Isaan a few years ago. The total price was divided by six and we paid at the end of each step. These were ...... foundations, ground floor, upstairs, roof, electrics and plumbing, and finally fixtures and fittings.

Only when we were satisfied with the work did we cough up another sixth of the total cost.

Good luck.

Don't know a thing about sq metre prices, but if I could only offer one piece of advice if you are getting a house built. Pay it in stages as the builder completes each step.

We had a house built in Isaan a few years ago. The total price was divided by six and we paid at the end of each step. These were ...... foundations, ground floor, upstairs, roof, electrics and plumbing, and finally fixtures and fittings.

Only when we were satisfied with the work did we cough up another sixth of the total cost.

Good luck.

That's very good advice. A long time ago I had a friend build 2 small houses here in Phuket. I advised him to pay in stages. Although the builder needed seed money for material at the start of each stage. Trouble was that the builder did not complete each stage before he asked for more money. Ended up very badly - 75% money paid and 25% work done, and then the builder took off never to be seen again. An expensive lesson for my friend.

I am glad to see we have a few builders on Thai Visa. I look forward to one day having a few beers with fellow construction workers

Once I retire in LOS. I have been in this business my entire life and was raised on construction sites as a child my dad owning his own commercial construction company. My wife and I are having a house built in Chiang Mai which starts this month. After investigating the home construction business in Thailand for the past 6 years I came to a few conclusions. To build a house yourself is the preferred way to go if you have expert experience, can speak Thai, have great references for subcontractors, level headed in business dealings with Thais, you have done your research for material pricing, knowledge of local suppliers, quality of materials,

A sound and well thought out design, you can be onsite daily, ways to secure your material onsite, you build on a titled piece of land, trust your wife and your wife's family lives in the immediate area and to the best of your knowledge is very honest. The respect of your wife family in the community has many great attributes in dealing and finding as honest worker as possible. And it can all go wrong any way. It will be a stressful undertaking and if you do not deal with stress get an alternative.

Most of the points I listed do not hold true for me other than a very trusting and loving wife. So I found what I feel is a good developer and I selected a model in one of their communities. I am paying a local engineering firm for inspections. The price I am paying is roughly 20,000 baht per sm. This includes everything but the kitchen build out. This includes the land as well.

I have heard many horror stories about building your own home even from those that are full of knowledge about building.

At Phuket for basic construction (cement posts and decks, walls, lender/plaster, steel, roof) I believe you shall count between 10k and 15k per sqm. Finish varies a lot on materials, but an average acceptable quality for a westerner's standard you shall count another 10k to 15k per sqm. – a lot more if you want luxury. A total between 25k and 30k may be a realistic figure...

I have recently build a house at Samui, which is close to Phuket price level. I have posted a few days ago in another forum with more details about price per sqm, you can see it here (and there may be other posts of interest for you in the tread)…

20,000 baht / sqm will get you an average finish in Phuket ..( no Land) the real money is in the quality of the finish . after building several places here on Phuket, i can back up what has already been said ..

Contract 1 .. construction to lockup stage

Contract 2 ... Final fitout .... tiles , kitchens , bathrooms , etc etc

all paid in stages subject to work completed.

I built a house in northern Chiang mai.

3 bedroom, 190 sqm area, 1 rai, teak windows and doors.

1 Mbaht, In Phuket same house will cost you 5-6 Mbaht.

Wow that is pretty cheap if you are including the 1 rai in the 1 million baht. how long ago was this?

6 years ago.

What is it that make the houses that expensive? My wife build a house in Isaan about 8-9 years ago.

A simple house about 70 sqm, 1 bedroom, livingroom, kitchen, bath and a big tiled veranda.

Total cost without the land that she had from before, 250.000 THB.

Now last Januari we wanted the house bigger.

80 sqm, one moore beautiful bathroom, a big L-shaped room and a garage with tiles on the floor.

We changed all the doors from plastic to wood, new tinted windows in the house.

Total cost 295.000 THB.

My wife bought all the material and hired people to do the job.

• 1 year later...