Living between 2 countries

My wife and I have been living between Thailand and Vietnam for the last 2 1/2 years.

We first got a Triple Entry Tourist Visa from Canada when we first moved to Thailand. At the end of the 9 month, we moved to Hanoi for 3 months and came back to Thailand on a Single Entry. We then got a Double Entry from Vientiane, living in Thailand for a total of 9 months on that leg of our trip. The following six months were spent in Vietnam before recently coming back to Chiang Mai for another 6 months on a Double Entry. We got Extensions at the Immigration for every Visas.

We now have to make our way to Mae Sai this week and hope for the best...

We are moving back to Vietnam in November for at least 9 months. We do not work in either Thailand or Vietnam.

So it really look like this:

9 months Thailand

3 months Vietnam

9 months Thailand

6 months Vietnam

6 months Thailand

Next - 9 months Vietnam

Back to Thailand for 6-9 months next year if allowed.

How likely is this scenario be allowed in the future? We really love living back and forth between the 2 countries as REAL long term tourist. Too young to retire and not interested to invest for the Elite Card as we will make our way to other parts of the world very soon if this is no longer possible.

In the very short term, we just hope that they will not refuse to activate our second Tourist Visa in Mae Sai...

Thanks for your opinion.

Since you have been using tourist visas for all your stays you will not have a problem. Your history looks like a tourist.

If you had several visa exempt visa runs mixed in with the visas you might have a problem.

• Like 1

What is called visa run is go and back the same day??

I've been using visa exempt all the time for Thailand, I used 3 visa run at the same frontier 2 years ago, and the last time I had a long talk with the officers, they ask me many things mostly because I was the only one Chilean crossing that frontier, not that bad but still intimidating they insist to ask me if I am doing something illegal and ask me many things about my work where I live and what i am doing in Thailand, we never touch if I have or not girlfriend but the officer ask me if I live with my girlfriend in Ao Nang and I was preparing my self to answer and another officer give me the passport, and told me that everything it's ok.

But that creep me out, I never did a visa run again, later I still used the visa exempt but I stayed 1 week in Kuala Lumpur with my girlfriend, the next 4 days in Langkawi, 6 days in Bali, and like that, not waiting the last day usually planning a travel 1 or 2 weeks before mi 90 day visa finish and changing locations all the time.

This is considered visa run also?

I am actually thinking to move between Vietnam and Thailand with my girlfriend, Vietnam is the only country around that she feel happy to move in Southeast Asia.

My husband and I have almost similar tourist visa history and concerns as the OP. We have been spending time between Finland and Thailand 2-5 months at a time, since January 2012 with 3 tourist visas per year – this because we have been issued only single entry visas. Our last visa exempt entry to Thailand was in June 2011.

Our home embassy in Helsinki is very strict with tourist visas: for multiple entry visa you need to show flight ticket back to Finland for each entry’s expiry date, i.e. you would be needing to fly back every 60 days because the embassy does not even accept the 30-day extension to TR. That’s why – and because we wanted to travel in Asia too, we’ve had TRs also in Hong Kong, Seoul and Kuala Lumpur.

We are not yet at the age to “retirement visa”, nor is the Elite Card for us because we are now on the last leg of a 3-year sabbatical leave and heading back to work at home country this December.

We only need one more tourist visa in September, and that would be the 3rd TR this year. We are planning a 4-5 day trip somewhere in the region (maybe Hanoi Vietnam). I know its early days to tell how the new visa rules are implemented but at the moment I’m a bit worried if we are deemed “legit” for the 3rd TR.

I don't mean to say anything negative about you and your wife, but I hope the OP understands why a country might question them about their activities and frequent comings and goings.  If neither of them works in either country then a natural question an immigration official might ask is "how do you make your money"?  Are you independently wealthy?  Good investments in your home country?  Where is your home country?  Do you have a permanent residence anywhere?  

• Like 1

Ubonjoe, as you mentioned, no Visa Exempts.

But a lot of our Tourist Visas have been Out-Ins and Extensions for each and every one of them. Isn't it considered the same thing? Isn't it what they are mostly looking for, Out-Ins?

They are not concerned with in/out visa entries.

This from the the guiltiness that immigration has sent out to its officers.

The alien must not enter the Kingdom by exploiting 30-day visa exemptions undertaking method “in-out” or called by foreigners as “Visa run”. Aliens use the advantage of Tourist Visa Exemption by leaving Thailand and returning immediately for the purpose of extending their stay, which is considered from the tourism point of view to be longer than necessary and not in line with the purpose permitted while entering country.

What is called visa run is go and back the same day??

I've been using visa exempt all the time for Thailand, I used 3 visa run at the same frontier 2 years ago, and the last time I had a long talk with the officers, they ask me many things mostly because I was the only one Chilean crossing that frontier, not that bad but still intimidating they insist to ask me if I am doing something illegal and ask me many things about my work where I live and what i am doing in Thailand, we never touch if I have or not girlfriend but the officer ask me if I live with my girlfriend in Ao Nang and I was preparing my self to answer and another officer give me the passport, and told me that everything it's ok.

But that creep me out, I never did a visa run again, later I still used the visa exempt but I stayed 1 week in Kuala Lumpur with my girlfriend, the next 4 days in Langkawi, 6 days in Bali, and like that, not waiting the last day usually planning a travel 1 or 2 weeks before mi 90 day visa finish and changing locations all the time.

This is considered visa run also?

I am actually thinking to move between Vietnam and Thailand with my girlfriend, Vietnam is the only country around that she feel happy to move in Southeast Asia.

This is what the guidelines say a about visa exempt entries for those on bilateral agreements.

Upon complete evidence of entering the Kingdom for tourism purpose and not for working purpose, alien shall be granted for permission to stay for 15, 30 or 90 days as set out in the bilateral agreements.
  • Like 1

My wife and I have been living between Thailand and Vietnam for the last 2 1/2 years.

We first got a Triple Entry Tourist Visa from Canada when we first moved to Thailand. At the end of the 9 month, we moved to Hanoi for 3 months and came back to Thailand on a Single Entry. We then got a Double Entry from Vientiane, living in Thailand for a total of 9 months on that leg of our trip. The following six months were spent in Vietnam before recently coming back to Chiang Mai for another 6 months on a Double Entry. We got Extensions at the Immigration for every Visas.

We now have to make our way to Mae Sai this week and hope for the best...

We are moving back to Vietnam in November for at least 9 months. We do not work in either Thailand or Vietnam.

So it really look like this:

9 months Thailand
3 months Vietnam
9 months Thailand
6 months Vietnam
6 months Thailand
Next - 9 months Vietnam
Back to Thailand for 6-9 months next year if allowed.

How likely is this scenario be allowed in the future? We really love living back and forth between the 2 countries as REAL long term tourist. Too young to retire and not interested to invest for the Elite Card as we will make our way to other parts of the world very soon if this is no longer possible.

In the very short term, we just hope that they will not refuse to activate our second Tourist Visa in Mae Sai...

Thanks for your opinion.

This is my biggest problem

Too be honest it is all up to the person issuing the visa as they like acting a judge a jury

Techbically you should not have a problem and the country should like tourists but this is Thailand so it is up to the man in charge

I had a mate who got refused a tourist visa in Penang a long time ago

The agency suggest he tried for another visa like an education visa or something but he refused as he said I am a tourists I have bank statements from England showing transactions in Thailand

But Penang at the time would not give

So he had to get th train to KL where he go the visa

This was a while ago

Long before the crack down

I don't mean to say anything negative about you and your wife, but I hope the OP understands why a country might question them about their activities and frequent comings and goings.  If neither of them works in either country then a natural question an immigration official might ask is "how do you make your money"?  Are you independently wealthy?  Good investments in your home country?  Where is your home country?  Do you have a permanent residence anywhere?  

No offense at all, this is a very legitimate question. We are not wealthy by any means but we have savings and a business in Canada that require very, very little time (let's not get into the "you work in Thailand" debate, an hour a week answering emails will not get anyone a working visa) and finance our lifestyle.

I understand that we might have to answer a lot of questions and do not mind it at all. Actually, they should ask a lot of questions. But our opinion is once we answer these questions to their satisfaction, we should be allowed to stay for 6-9 months on Tourist Visa since we are real "long term" tourist, do not work here, not trouble makers at all and contribute (of course at a very small level) to their economy.

But this is Thailand and not our country. They decide how it works, who they want to let in and we respect their decision.

No offense at all, this is a very legitimate question. We are not wealthy by any means but we have savings and a business in Canada that require very, very little time (let's not get into the "you work in Thailand" debate, an hour a week answering emails will not get anyone a working visa) and finance our lifestyle.

I understand that we might have to answer a lot of questions and do not mind it at all. Actually, they should ask a lot of questions. But our opinion is once we answer these questions to their satisfaction, we should be allowed to stay for 6-9 months on Tourist Visa since we are real "long term" tourist, do not work here, not trouble makers at all and contribute (of course at a very small level) to their economy.

But this is Thailand and not our country. They decide how it works, who they want to let in and we respect their decision.

Well stated.  Unfortunately for you, without a more permanent visa, you are at the whims and moods of a low level local immigration official.