teaching English

Hi all, please give only productive advice here as its a matter of great concern to me and i have no time for the idiots who infest TV.

Okay that out of the way, i am looking at gaining a teaching visa, i have currently several potential job placements and now need to know what exactly i need from them to gain a visa.....yes i know its been said so many times before, but these times are very different and i really need an up to date report on what my potential employers need to give me for my visa and a rough idea on the price of the visa.

Further information, i am English and hold a TEFL certificate and i have taught English in Samui to some top resorts and in the north of Laos on a voluntary basis with the help of the UN.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Kevin

You need a letter of Invitation, why you are necessary as oppose to a Thai person, a copy of the businesses financial statement,  a copy of the contract stating salary. A signed copy of the Thai directors I.D. both sides.    That is for the visa.

• Like 1

You need a letter of Invitation, why you are necessary as oppose to a Thai person, a copy of the businesses financial statement,  a copy of the contract stating salary. A signed copy of the Thai directors I.D. both sides.    That is for the visa.

and lest not forget the Work permit shall we

• Like 1

You also need a degree.

That depends on what kind of school he will be teaching at.

What kind of school wouldn't require a degree?? I thought it was mandatory to have a degree in any field of education. Please correct me if I am wrong. 

• Like 1

Language schools do not require a degree, nor does teaching at a university. Non-formal education might also not require a degree, although I am not 100% sure about this last one.

Thanks for the answer. So, teaching English at a primary school requires a degree, but no degree is required for teaching English in a university?@! 

How the hell did they come to that conclusion?@?! 

TIT

Language schools do not require a degree, nor does teaching at a university. Non-formal education might also not require a degree, although I am not 100% sure about this last one.

Thanks for the answer. So, teaching English at a primary school requires a degree, but no degree is required for teaching English in a university?@! 

TIT

Ok.  let's just clarify this a bit.  The government does not require people who teach at language centers, universities and non-formal education to have a degree.  But most of the schools do require their teachers to have a diploma.  The government requirement is overseen by the OBEC which oversees basic education in Thailand.  Prior to 2006 a degree wasn't required by the government to teach in any school.

• Like 1

Ok.  let's just clarify this a bit.  The government does not require people who teach at language centers, universities and non-formal education to have a degree.  But most of the schools do require their teachers to have a diploma.  The government requirement is overseen by the OBEC which oversees basic education in Thailand.  Prior to 2006 a degree wasn't required by the government to teach in any school.

You won't get a work permit and VISA in Thailand without a degree.
Doesn't matter where you teach.

You can get a job, employers don't care if you are an illegal.
Up to you. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

TIT

They fall under different departments within the Ministry of Education, each setting its own rules. For higher education no qualification rules have bene set (yet).

The Basic Education Commision and the Teachers Coucl of Thailand did, but basically they only cover elementary and secondary school.

• Like 1

Nice opening lone to ur post and u want people to help u.
You must be a great teacher

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

LuckyLew, i dont consider myself a good or bad teacher, but after posting on TV you get the minority who sit in their condo's in Bangkok all day and make stupid comments, not constructive comments. 

Every experience i have in Thailand i post just to help other people, and no i am not naive, but i do believe there is a lot of misinformation out there and the fact the rules are changing on a daily basis means i can gather recent information here on TV.

Do you live in a condo in Bangkok?

• Like 2

" No time for the idiots who infest TV."

Why come to TV for advise?

Go ask the idiots at some other sites!

Try   Stupidtoteachinthailand.com 

You will like those idiots much better!

• Like 2

Sounds like no degree, just a TEFL cert (I'm guessing 120hrs online) and no real experience.

What were the top 'resorts?' Not schools right? Who did you teach, for how long?

Sounds like I'm having a go but I'm not, it just seems you're considering yourself to be qualified to teach when it seems you're anything but. You need a degree, why not study for one here in Thailand?
  • Like 1

Nice opening lone to ur post and u want people to help u.
You must be a great teacher

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

LuckyLew, i dont consider myself a good or bad teacher, but after posting on TV you get the minority who sit in their condo's in Bangkok all day and make stupid comments, not constructive comments. 

Every experience i have in Thailand i post just to help other people, and no i am not naive, but i do believe there is a lot of misinformation out there and the fact the rules are changing on a daily basis means i can gather recent information here on TV.

Do you live in a condo in Bangkok?

Yes you only make helpful and constructive comments.......like this one

"its a matter of great concern to me and i have no time for the idiots who infest TV"

"i have taught English in Samui to some top resorts and in the north of Laos on a voluntary basis with the help of the UN."

This guy will not last a week in a classroom.

Depends on what sort of resort the classroom is in. At least if he gets into trouble he can call on the UN for help.

Edited by Suradit69

" No time for the idiots who infest TV."

Why come to TV for advise?

Go ask the idiots at some other sites!

Try   Stupidtoteachinthailand.com 

You will like those idiots much better!

idiots like yourself, thank you so much for proving my point.

• Like 1

interesting point.....erm 3 years teaching !!! 1 in Laos working with the UN, 1 in Hong Kong and 1 in Spain, but thanks for the great information, the type of idiot i was referring too.

"i have taught English in Samui to some top resorts and in the north of Laos on a voluntary basis with the help of the UN."

Depends on what sort of resort the classroom is in. At least if he gets into trouble he can call on the UN for help.

yet another idiot on TV......you guys never disappoint !