Help! Trying to convince my wife we should stay in Thailand

zierf1

I'm not sure what my wife is thinking.  When I tell her about the salaries here in farangland I think she thinks we must be living high on the hog here.  Maybe for a Thai living in Thailand 100-200k baht a month is big bux but not here!  There are no 3,000 baht a month apartments.  A tiny apartment in a big city will be 10x that amount.  There are no foodstalls selling all-you-can-eat for 40 baht.  Taxes take a huge chunk out of our paychecks.  I need a car to get anywhere.  I'd gladly take a huge pay cut to live in Thailand and I'd still come out ahead.  Basically, we'd have the same lifestyle on far less in Thailand.  The hard part is trying to explain to her this simple situation!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, zierf1 ... how old are you?

How long have you been married?

In your courting days, months, years ... did you not once travel to the old country?

Has your wife even been out of Thailand?

Has your wife even been cold?

Are you English?

Good luck getting a Visa.

• Like 2

I'm not surprised he's having trouble convincing his wife. I'm having trouble figuring out what his current situation is going by his explanation . . . and I speak the same lingo

He says he'd gladly "take a huge pay cut to live in Thailand" so do we assume he currently lives in Farangland?

If so, should we assume his wife lives in Thailand?

It sounds as though he's making a case for moving TO Thailand, not staying

• Like 2

I'm not surprised he's having trouble convincing his wife. I'm having trouble figuring out what his current situation is going by his explanation . . . and I speak the same lingo

He says he'd gladly "take a huge pay cut to live in Thailand" so do we assume he currently lives in Farangland?

If so, should we assume his wife lives in Thailand?

It sounds as though he's making a case for moving TO Thailand, not staying

I am having the same difficulty.

I assume his wife is in Thailand at present. I would also assume she won't be too keen on being paced off to a 3,000 baht a month apartment either

The OP needs to consider many things before thinking the grass is greener, otherwise he's ripe for joining the Pattaya Condo Diving Association.

Yeaaaahhhhh, not advice he needs its a dose of common sense and decide whose wearing the pants in that relationship.
He controls the visa and the purse strings, sounds like he needs advice on how to educate her as to the realities.
Sure you can earn more but things on average cost 5 x more in the UK. Edited by RolandRat
  • Like 1

If David48's quotes are correct, then I don't think educating her on the financials of living in the West vs. SEA is the issue.  If she can't manage on 15k baht a month which is more than what most full-time factory workers make, then she has been given some high expectations of being married and possibly even higher expectations of what a Western country Visa would open to her. 

Be very careful.  By the way, does she also work to supplement her 15k baht monthly allowance?   Did you do a pre-nuptial contract?

Enjoy the learning curve.

• Like 1

I think he needs to move to Thai and live with his wife...whats the point in being married if you dont live with your wife???
I lived in thai for six years.returned to europe for the last 3 yrs...I came back from thai with 10,000 euros...I now owe almost 20000 euros to various banks!! Im returning to thai in a few weeks and I, ll have my debts paid off in a few yrs...in europe you work to pay the bills.in thailand you have more disposable income depending on your occupation of course....move to thai and live with your wife....also, the thai community in thr UK is, in general, not the kind of community you would want your wife becoming part of..its full of bargirls and gold diggers...I recently went to a thai restaurant in kent.3 Issan women in 30's were comparing and selling gold necklaces to each other at one table..they spent 50 quid between them on half wasted food too..their 3 husbands arrived in ti collect them then...all in mid 60's...this is typical of thai community in UK.the exception are some thai restaurant workers...move to Thai and meet people you can trustK
  • Like 2

I think he needs to move to Thai and live with his wife...whats the point in being married if you dont live with your wife???
I lived in thai for six years.returned to europe for the last 3 yrs...I came back from thai with 10,000 euros...I now owe almost 20000 euros to various banks!! Im returning to thai in a few weeks and I, ll have my debts paid off in a few yrs...in europe you work to pay the bills.in thailand you have more disposable income depending on your occupation of course....move to thai and live with your wife....also, the thai community in thr UK is, in general, not the kind of community you would want your wife becoming part of..its full of bargirls and gold diggers...I recently went to a thai restaurant in kent.3 Issan women in 30's were comparing and selling gold necklaces to each other at one table..they spent 50 quid between them on half wasted food too..their 3 husbands arrived in ti collect them then...all in mid 60's...this is typical of thai community in UK.the exception are some thai restaurant workers...move to Thai and meet people you can trustK

Not sure where to start with this post, other than to point out the blindingly obvious - you saved more money in Thailand than you can in Europe and you trust people more in Thailand than you do in Europe. Certainly a very original POV on this forum. 

• Like 1

Not sure where to start with this post, other than to point out the blindingly obvious - you saved more money in Thailand than you can in Europe and you trust people more in Thailand than you do in Europe. Certainly a very original POV on this forum. 

The OP was looking for advice.I used some examples from my own situation...whereas you have contributed nothing...

The OP is about a comparison of salaries/ lifestyles in west vs thai...cant you read... ive obviously used some examples from my own experiences to highlight my opinion that Thai is a better place to live...perhaps I should use more basic language next time...

Exactly! If you are even sending money monthly then you are a complete moron. Or maybe you really believe you are such a hansum man
And if your wife is thinking that money grows on trees in the west, where every farang walking down the street looks like brad Pitt, maybe she expects Santa Claus as well, then you also have rocks in your head
  • Like 1

You don't need to convince her of anything. That's the wrong approach.

Instead, tell her how it is going to be. If she doesn't like it; tell her you are willing to divorce her if she wants that.

Married and living apart is very difficult.

OP you are going to need to sort this out.

if she never been then yes same as you coming to thailand, having a look and experience is something that needs to be done. she can change her mind herself as many thai do when OS reality strikes. there is also the spending the winter months in thailand and the summers months in farang land. works for many

A post violating forum rules has been removed from view:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

My girlfriend showed me a figure that she was expecting to make in America. $5,000 a month! I just shook my head and deducted a zero. I told her she might make $500 a month. If she's lucky. Regular Americans have difficulty making $2,000 a month let alone $5,000.

Keep your wife or girlfriends expectations low. That's what I try to do. Also, be honest. The roads aren't paved with gold in America. With hard work and time we can make a nice living. Edited by benj005
  • Like 1

The OP talks of 'bux' (bucks?) and apartments so I would assume he is from the US of A.

If so, he just needs to tell his wife the realities of her getting a visa for the US like the 3-year wait.

A three year wait?

Even if you're married?

My girlfriend showed me a figure that she was expecting to make in America. $5,000 a month! I just shook my head and deducted a zero. I told her she might make $500 a month. If she's lucky. Regular Americans have difficulty making $2,000 a month let alone $5,000.

Keep your wife or girlfriends expectations low. That's what I try to do. Also, be honest. The roads aren't paved with gold in America. With hard work and time we can make a nice living.

I've got a few friends whose wives are making around $10/hour or so.  Waitress job.  Tips can be good if you are in the right restaurant.  So you are right, making $2,000 a month will be tough.  Then you need to deduct taxes, social security, etc.

Too funny about your comment on gold roads.  My wife thought the exact same thing.  Didn't take long for that expectation to change!  A one time trip to Harlem and she was ready to go back to Thailand! 55555

But she was quite happy to sit at home and watch TV while I was working my butt off.  We're back here now and we debate on whether to go back or not.  It's a 50/50 thing for us.  There are many positives for living back home...and many positives for living here!  Not an easy decision.

The OP talks of 'bux' (bucks?) and apartments so I would assume he is from the US of A.

If so, he just needs to tell his wife the realities of her getting a visa for the US like the 3-year wait.

A three year wait?

Even if you're married?

A 3 year wait for US citizenship.  Probably 4-6 months to get a visa to go to the US.  Green card follows fairly quickly after that.

The weather is a big deal.  If you are from the northern states, winters are tough.  Some Thai gals can handle it, others can't.  Along with life in a big US city.  Quite the culture shock.

• Like 1