Drag Bikes

seedy

Been out of the game since the 70's - but with the new Buriram circuit being built, am considering building a bike for use there.

Not close to where I live, but not so far that if I have a bike I won't go !

Anyone got any ideas - bike to use, new techniques since I raced an Kawa H2 (that will date me for sure !!)

Want to get something popular here so spares not too big a problem, as the bikes have a habit of blowing up !!

Versys ? ER6N ? CB400 ?

My first pick would be a Turbo Busa - but I want to live for a bit more yet !

Thanks

• Like 1

Lots of variables to consider. If all you want is a basically stock bike to take to the strip once-in-a-while, you'll get bored pretty quickly with the bikes you mentioned- you'll run 12's (maybe a high-11 if the planets align) and will replace clutches after every track day- those bikes aren't built for serious drag racing or numerous hard launches, and there won't be many hop-up parts available, and you'll reach the bike's limit fairly quickly unless you want to radically modify it (which comes with a lot of headaches, as I'm sure you know).

Personally, I'd look for a first or second-gen Busa (turbo not necessary;))- I see them all the time on the used bike FB pages in Thailand. They'll run 9's@14X out of the box (if you're really good), and they'll do it all day and still get you home after your session (a beefed-up clutch wouldn't be a bad idea, but you can run SWB and still have an awesome street bike). You also have the option of chasing 8's if the sport really gets back into your blood and you don't mind spending a few bucks and making it a dedicated drag bike. I had a first-gen before coming to LOS- I ran low-10s and didn't do anything but drop my tire pressure after riding to the track. Even if you decide that drag racing doesn't appeal to you anymore after a few runs, you'll be left with a great road bike.

If you just want to go and fool around and bracket-race, anyy bike will work.

I was thinking of getting fairly serious out-of-the-box.

Struts, wheelie bars, slick.

Never thought of a used 'Busa - will check out the prices. Would like a hi-miler, even thrashed a bit would be OK.

Don't need body work, or to look pretty.

My thought for a Versys / ER6N would be more bikes available, and I have a buddy over here who runs a speed shop so a turbo would not be too expensive. Have an AC/DC TIG so fab is a no brainer.

Always a pleasure. Thanks

This was mine- from an overall perspective of how much fun I had on it, it was the best bike I've ever owned:

image.jpg

If you plan to build a dedicated track bike, there's no better choice from an aftermarket perspective (of course this will mean sourcing some stuff from the States)- still, I can see the fun in building up a smaller bike, but in the end you'll end up spending a lot on a bike that will always be somewhat limited. Turbo bikes are fun only if you run them in a very mild state-if-tune- once you up the boost you have to dick around with them constantly- still, depending on your mind-set, you might enjoy that.;). I prefer running N/A (though I'd consider spraying a 50-shot for fun- this is also WAY more economical and easier to deal with then a turbo, as long as you have a place to fill your bottle).

Nice one. Had a quick look on BahtSold - just to get an idea.

Saw a GSXR 1100 for 160,000 baht. Might be a good starting point too.

Never thought they would be so cheap, but I am sure it does not have a green book, but for a track bike I don't need one !!

Be Well

Do they run "big" bikes for a 1/4 mile here? Most drag bikes are two-stroke Hondas et al and run 1/8 or 200m. Aluminium frames for which are at Poon Sub market.

No point having a bike if there is no one to run with.

Edited by VocalNeal

The new circuit at Buriram is supposed to have a full 1/4 mile set-up.

Here's the layout- the drag strip on the left is over 1/2 a mile long (which would offer enough room for dragsters to shut down after crossing the line)- they're already advertising dragster events.

post-176811-0-39916200-1407117084_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

Here's the layout- the drag strip on the left is over 1/2 a mile long (which would offer enough room for dragsters to shut down after crossing the line)- they're already advertising dragster events.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

True,....... first event is from 2-5 October the annoucment says BRIC top 10 Dragsters but on this event ( the Autobacs Super GT) it might be cars or just a Demo or static display.

B.T.W entry prices are for Thai standerds quite high, I'm curious they can fill up the Grand Stand.(ticket sale starting on September the 1st.

post-143096-0-86255100-1407128842_thumb.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

People will die in dragsters if they run a 1/4 strip with only a 1/4 shut down area. needs a minimum 1/2 mile shut down area.

Edited by Spoonman

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

People will die in dragsters if they run a 1/4 strip with only a 1/4 shut down area. needs a minimum 1/2 mile shut down area.
That's true- it looks like there will be less than 2000 feet of shut down area on this track- that will limit the type of vehicles that can be run. Maybe they are planning to run the 1/8th instead of the 1/4- I know I read it would be a 1/4 mile run last year, but now I can't find corroboration in any of their press releases. There's also no scale for a reference- maybe it's longer than I thought. Edited by RubberSideDown

hope drag strip is not passing from the track itself but in the map, it looks like some part is passing through the track which is not good. hope not as not good for track.

Also, not very good to ride bikes where cars mostly roam and drift around as it creates ruts and ripples on the road like infamous for bikes Bonanza Track.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Will be interesting to see the maintenance they will do on the upcoming Buriram circuit.

How will the subgrade will hold up to the traffic.

Will they remove the rubber as it builds up.

Adequate runoff areas, with sand and/or energy absorbing barriers.

Just glad that it is being built, and hope that it remains usable for a long time.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's true- it looks like there will be less than 2000 feet of shut down area on this track- that will limit the type of vehicles that can be run. Maybe they are planning to run the 1/8th instead of the 1/4- I know I read it would be a 1/4 mile run last year, but now I can't find corroboration in any of their press releases. There's also no scale for a reference- maybe it's longer than I thought.

2,000 ft of shutdown area doesn't seem that bad at all. Most of the tracks I ran in in Australia were about 1/2 mile in total length including the shutdown area. I was slowing down & stopping from speeds of 160+mph with no issues using a single disc front wheel. Cars with chutes should have no problem. I agree with the other poster though. Having the race track as part of the dragracing surface can be very dangerous for high power dragcars & dragbikes, by unloading them because of surface irregularities. Interesting thread :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

By the pics of the new track, I am assuming - always a dangerous practice ! - that the 1/4 mile will be right in front of the grandstand.

If so this may be used as the start line during road course events.

If the keep the rubber shaved off - especially the burnout box - should be a non issue. But for sure it would be better if it was not included as part of the road course.

But the only pics I have seen of what it will look like that are close to completion are those posted by DutchBike - Thanks ! - and seems the only place for it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's true- it looks like there will be less than 2000 feet of shut down area on this track- that will limit the type of vehicles that can be run. Maybe they are planning to run the 1/8th instead of the 1/4- I know I read it would be a 1/4 mile run last year, but now I can't find corroboration in any of their press releases. There's also no scale for a reference- maybe it's longer than I thought.

2,000 ft of shutdown area doesn't seem that bad at all. Most of the tracks I ran in in Australia were about 1/2 mile in total length including the shutdown area. I was slowing down & stopping from speeds of 160+mph with no issues using a single disc front wheel. Cars with chutes should have no problem. I agree with the other poster though. Having the race track as part of the dragracing surface can be very dangerous for high power dragcars & dragbikes, by unloading them because of surface irregularities. Interesting thread smile.png

2000ft shutdown area is enough with a decent gravel trap at the end. This one is 1320ft with what look's to be no gravel trap.

So what is it guys, 2, 000' or 1,320'? smile.png

With the information as posted the drag strip is 1/2 mile (2640ft) long in total length with a small gravel trap looking at the pictures.

A 1/4 is obviously 1320ft so that leaves 1320ft shutdown area. This should be ok for anything running up to 135mph which would be a mid 9 second run... anything faster (lol @ a dragster running 9's) will potentially run into trouble... better to be safe than sorry.

anything chasing numbers though it would be best to run them out to an 1/8 mile on this track.

Edited by Spoonman

So what is it guys, 2, 000' or 1,320'? smile.png

With the information as posted the drag strip is 1/2 mile (2640ft) long in total length with a small gravel trap looking at the pictures.

A 1/4 is obviously 1320ft so that leaves 1320ft shutdown area. This should be ok for anything running up to 135mph which would be a mid 9 second run... anything faster (lol @ a dragster running 9's) will potentially run into trouble... better to be safe than sorry.

anything chasing numbers though it would be best to run them out to an 1/8 mile on this track.

When it was stated that there was 2,000 feet of run off, I made the informed comment based on my own expedience, but if it's a lot less than that figure, then I definitely agree on going to the 1/8 mile for safety. 1/8 mile makes for some tough racing :)

1/8 mile is more about launch and consistency. Less room for error.

1/4 mile more about sheer horsepower and that top end charge. More room to make up for a starting line F***Up

Need a different setup for each

Someone in Buriram needs to go and take a look at the track- if they really built it to international standards, it's got enough run-off for anything- who knows if that drawing is to scale? It looks like they have enough room for a proper set-up if it's their intention to run Top-Fuel or whatever- it would seem silly if they didn't do it right (though this is LOS...)

The 1/8th isn't going go drum up much excitement- it's got go be the 1/4 to make it worth heading out there.

I live not far from the track, and it was always easy to ride in and look at the progress, that has changed since they started with laying the tarmac, there are gates and security everywhere, so they not to charmed with curious visitors anymore.

I'm under the impression that the dragstrip is mayby added in a later stage, they now have there hands full with finishing the track for the first races in October.

In the design pics there is a Dragrace start strip outside from the actual track:

post-143096-0-77015800-1407760541_thumb.post-143096-0-93126300-1407760545_thumb.

On the latest "skyview"pics there is still no sight of anything like a start area there

post-143096-0-87180600-1407760665_thumb.

I will make another attempt to sneak in, mayby putting a Buriram United sticker on my bike and fooling the security pretending to be one of the Buriram United riders will help, but then again they all ride big KTM's and I have just a KLX 250:-)

• Like 1

My friend builds 2stroke drag bikes and competes. This is his honda Dash. Runs 200m at 7s, the thing is scary fast for sub 200cc.

I know the small bike drag scene is pretty huge in Chiang Mai, they race every second sunday at the 700yr stadium. I've not once seen any bike running that wasn't sub 200cc. Maybe it's different in other areas.

Saw a songtaew drag once, too. <3 Thailand.

10402950_10203999333211031_1652091991612

• Like 1

you need high octane fuel for drag events!

here we go:

https://www.facebook.com/powercore.thailand

350 thb for 4 liters. not bad as they sell normal 95 benzene for 60 thb per liter at track days.

I enquired to them about the availability of their race-fuel in plastic fuel spec contaniers and they do have them. If the fuel is a guaranteed octane rating, then it is a very good price.

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

My friend builds 2stroke drag bikes and competes. This is his honda Dash. Runs 200m at 7s, the thing is scary fast for sub 200cc.

I know the small bike drag scene is pretty huge in Chiang Mai, they race every second sunday at the 700yr stadium. I've not once seen any bike running that wasn't sub 200cc. Maybe it's different in other areas.

Saw a songtaew drag once, too. <3 Thailand.

10402950_10203999333211031_1652091991612

Will check them out when I back home again.

Only 2 strokes ? No 4 stroke racing classes ?

• Like 1