Can I get a certificate of residency from a Serviced Apartment ?

That is great news guys, so I need to go to Immigration, which office? That would make my life so much easier.  With regards to timing we can't go 'before' it expires correct? we must wait until 'after' it expires to renew?

To get a Thai drivers license I simply went to the US Embassy ( as I had not a work permit) and signed and affidavit swearing my residence (as my wife and I keep an apartment here), then there is the usual medical certificate and our course the DL test itself, the only drawback was that by not having a WP my license is only good for one year and next extension is for only for one year, you need a WP to get the 5 years license I was told.

not true, there is no 1 year extension, extension is all the time 5 years, no work permitt needed, I beg for the day, people stop putting rumors on TV

The one year license is a provisional, the five year license is a full license which is granted only after the one license has expired - the type of visa held by the drivers is irrelevant..

the type of visa is relevant, only Non O visa, you not get a thai driver license on Tourist Visa or Visa Extension

I have actually had 2 Thai DL and most recently a Motorbike DL given to me while on a mulitipe entry tourist visa, this year I will return on a Non Immigrant O visa to make the process easier.

The one year license is a provisional, the five year license is a full license which is granted only after the one license has expired - the type of visa held by the drivers is irrelevant..

the type of visa is relevant, only Non O visa, you not get a thai driver license on Tourist Visa or Visa Extension

You can get a Thai drivers license with any visa, have you not read the thread!

I also beg for the day people stop putting rumors on TV!!!

Edited by chiang mai