Passport scanned and copied by immigration

Hi there,

Yesterday I have crossed to Malaysia by land and while making the immigration process, suddenly the officer told me to get to the main office because of my nationality. (Argentinean)

When I got there, they have stamped my passport and they have scanned first page and kept with the copy.

Does anybody knows why they have done this?

Made me felt as an offender and I'm just a simple tourist.

Mate another thing, just for you know in Asia there is a general ban about people looking like a hippie, so flowers "el Che" "Marley" dreadlocks so many colors or tattoos or a long or strange beard with sandals etc can give that impression and is not a joke, you will see in many frontiers the description of a hippie and you can get a bad ban, before 1 year ago I help an Argentinian that was banned from Korea and send back to Thailand and forced to go back to Argentina.

Check this tread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/586380-getting-refused-entry-to-thailand-help-needed/page-3#entry5705848

The whole hippie thing is not a big deal anymore. It used to be, but that alone hardly seems like a reason to refuse entry anymore. Case in point: a British or American traveler, doing 20 countries in 60 days entering Thailand from Malaysia but with dreadlocks is probably not going to be questioned, if they are a first time visitor (which in my example they are), simply spending say 10 days in Thailand before moving onto Cambodia, then Vietnam, then Laos, then China, then Mongolia etc.

A visa runner that thinks his neatly pressed shirt and tie is going to fool immigration on the other hand, might be refused.

• Like 1

Sorry Sudaca, I misunderstand, with all these problems in the frontiers I have an eye over any immigration problem.

When I traveled with my gf (she is Thai) to Malaysia she always was stopped and asked how long (in the Krabi airport), return tickets, etc so I guess Malaysian are expecting a lot of illegal workers coming to Malaysia since the crackdown in Thailand, I've been asked once in the Padang Besar frontier, a directly are you coming to work? my plan was going to Penang, but in a middle of a monsoon in nowhere, and 10 minutes before they close the frontier.

But that alone hardly seems like a reason to refuse entry anymore.

Yes you are right, but still hippies are not welcome in Myanmar, Laos, Malaysia and probably Korea probably, I saw by my self hippies going into a meeting mode inside the immigration office

malaysian-sign.jpg

p2241284.jpg

I would not tak anything immigration does as personal unless of course they arrest you on the spot. We forget all of the recent changes have been a big upset for the way they have been use to doing business.They are just CTA for the new bosses

Passport and documents scanned and copied.w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif

If it had been me I would have asked to see the scan and insisted in putting a watermark across all the items so as to hinder if not actually stop any chance of forged documents being produced in my name.

International terrorist  love forged documents.

Mate another thing, just for you know in Asia there is a general ban about people looking like a hippie, so flowers "el Che" "Marley" dreadlocks so many colors or tattoos or a long or strange beard with sandals etc can give that impression and is not a joke, you will see in many frontiers the description of a hippie and you can get a bad ban, before 1 year ago I help an Argentinian that was banned from Korea and send back to Thailand and forced to go back to Argentina.

Check this tread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/586380-getting-refused-entry-to-thailand-help-needed/page-3#entry5705848

Back in the good old days visa runners used to get S.H.I.T. stamped in their passport at the Malaysian border.

Suspected Hippie In Transit.

Back in the good old days visa runners used to get S.H.I.T. stamped in their passport at the Malaysian border.

I think that happened only in Singapore.

I think that happened only in Singapore.

Malaysia too. Google it sure something will come up. I saw the stamp back in the early 90s.

Excuse me, I cannot quote from my mobile but ATF....don't you have something more important to do in your life?

1.No men, I don't look as a hippie.

2.If Argentina is bankrupted again, is not a reason to have my passport scanned.

By the way, you have read just part of the news. Argentina has defaulted not to pay to hedge funds. Argentina is paying the debts to the rest of the creditors.

Economic situation in Argentina is not the best, yes. But they will be applying the "formula": devaluing our currency that would certainly affect me while traveling.

Have a good day buddy.

P.s 3. Maybe I look as Messi and border officer was a Messi fan? :\

All the relevant information of page 1 in the passport is usually scanned electronically anyway (machine readable part on the bottom of the page).

Immigration always has the details of the travellers.

And they have computers these days, they will know when you come back the same day etc.

No idea why the Malaysians wanted to do an additional paper copy.

If there was no additional comment/questions, "bad stamp" I would simpy forget it.

A simple scan/copy as a basis for a forged passport, laughable.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Sorry Sudaca, I misunderstand, with all these problems in the frontiers I have an eye over any immigration problem.

When I traveled with my gf (she is Thai) to Malaysia she always was stopped and asked how long (in the Krabi airport), return tickets, etc so I guess Malaysian are expecting a lot of illegal workers coming to Malaysia since the crackdown in Thailand, I've been asked once in the Padang Besar frontier, a directly are you coming to work? my plan was going to Penang, but in a middle of a monsoon in nowhere, and 10 minutes before they close the frontier.

But that alone hardly seems like a reason to refuse entry anymore.

Yes you are right, but still hippies are not welcome in Myanmar, Laos, Malaysia and probably Korea probably, I saw by my self hippies going into a meeting mode inside the immigration office

malaysian-sign.jpg

p2241284.jpg

Yes it's true. Both Thailand and Malaysia want their foreign drug dealing criminals to have haircuts and be wearing suits before entering the country to commit crimes. 

As for those genuine tourists in shorts and slippers, to hell with them.

These signs are representing how backward SEA countries are. In the 21st century most genuine tourists dress for relaxation ie. beachwear. At the same time, you'll find that most criminals try to show an outward appearance of respectability by dressing up in suits and tie in order to deceive people. Unfortunately, Thailand now is turning away law abiding visitors and welcoming the criminals. Appearance is everything and the truth is irrelevent