Non Imm 'O' visa & Tourist Visa comments

On Monday i left BKK - Lao as my 30 day exempt stamp was running out and i wanted to get a proper visa with all the clamp downs,

When i arrived at immigration the lady took some time looking at all the in/out stamps in my passport (18 over 2 years) and one triple entry tourist visa and asked why i had so many 'in/out stamps'

I explained i received money from the UK and that i liked to travel around Thailand and surrounding countries and she explained she was not happy and i would not be able to come back in on a visa exempt stamp again!

I didn't like the sound of that so i asked why when i could show i was a tourist and clearly not working here, she smilled and walked off to get someone else presumably her boss who was actually a nice chap.

i explained i didn't want anything on file saying i couldn't come in on a visa exempt stamp as i didn't think it was fair, i explained i was going out to get a new visa at which point i showed him bank statements, agoda bookings (on my phone) and flight bookings which clearly show we do travel around thailand and are tourists of sorts, i explained we also have a house but i don't work here and hope he could see that.

I also explained i like to take a trip to the surrounding countries and a visa exempt stamp was the best way to do this rather than paying for tourist visa's and getting leave of absence on the visa etc.

He explained as long as i kept the statements showing i clearly wasn't working in Thailand due to the monies coming over from the UK and other evidence that i wasn't just sat in my house doing nothing or working somewhere then i would have no problem coming back in on a tourist visa or exempt stamp but if i chose the exempt stamp i would be asked these questions every time. 

He explained that as i had all the paperwork it would be better just to get my Non Imm 'o' visa but if i wanted to come back in on the visa exempt stamp then be prepared to show i was a tourist every time.

I flew to Lao, very easy process i turned up a the embassy, a chap was waiting presumably for visa people i gave him copies of:

Wifes ID Card (signed) 

Marriage Cert

Tabien Ban

Kor Ror 2

All were copies no originals, i paid him the visa fee of 2000 bht and when he delivered my passport back i would pay him his fee which he asked to be 2000 bht.

they took photographs and i was gone within 5 mins, very good service as the embassy looked busy but i didn't go back inside.

I was back at the hotel after 15-20mins round trip and went for a swim!

Next day my passport was at reception (i left the 2000 bht in an envelope for him) with the single entry non immigrant 'o' visa in which will cover me until i return to the UK.

Just reassuring that i can come back on a visa exempt stamp if needs must and i just need a bit of documentation to show i am not working here and have funds available and we do go on 'holiday' within Thailand its self.

hope this is useful to some people who may be worrying about back-back entries and tourist visas.

• Like 1

If you were to go to Savannakhet you could get a multiple entry non-o visa with the same paperwork that got you the single entry visa.

Also you can get 60 day extensions at immigration to vist your wife. If you did that for your 90 day entry from the O visa that will give 5 months without needing to leave. If you did want to make a short trip out of the country you could get a re-entry permit to keep the visa entry/extension valid.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you were to go to Savannakhet you could get a multiple entry non-o visa with the same paperwork that got you the single entry visa.

Also you can get 60 day extensions at immigration to vist your wife. If you did that for your 90 day entry from the O visa that will give 5 months without needing to leave. If you did want to make a short trip out of the country you could get a re-entry permit to keep the visa entry/extension valid.

unfortunately i didn't see your post about this before i booked the flight to Vientiane but I'm going back to the uk for 3-6 months with the family in Oct / Nov so single entry should tide me over, if i need a little longer i will take your advice and get a 60 day extension but in all honesty i like flying out for a few days either on my own or with the Mrs and kids its good to see new places

so it cost you 4,000 baht??

why??

2000 bht for the visa

2000 bht for some guy to sort it for me

much better paying 2000 bht and letting someone do it all, line up at the embassy, and any unexpected problems whilst i sit in a swimming pool lol 

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You could get the multiple entry non-o visa from the embassy in London in person or by post 

one for the journey back in 6 months :) ta

"i wasn't just sat in my house doing nothing" - can someone clarify if this is not allowed, as per the Thai Immigration's policy?

it didn't sound very 'touristy' 

You could get the multiple entry non-o visa from the embassy in London in person or by post 

one for the journey back in 6 months smile.png ta

"i wasn't just sat in my house doing nothing" - can someone clarify if this is not allowed, as per the Thai Immigration's policy?

Ahh ok. I may turn up in a jogging suit to immigration next time. May try sweatbands too.

one for the journey back in 6 months smile.png ta

Ahh ok. I may turn up in a jogging suit to immigration next time. May try sweatbands too.

don't forget some of that sarcasm i'm sure that will go down a treat ;) 

• Like 1