Pulled over

rambling

Know the place well.

I got done there for not writing in the book of my movements. RE red plate. WHAT

that one he wanted cash there and then.

Sod it.

They've now started clamping round ladprow and chok chai 4.

Even days one side odd days other side.

There getting loads from that.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I just found my smoking gun.

There is a very interesting addition to sections 34 and 35 stating that section 34 was added and section 35 was repealed in 1992:

Section 34:* Note: This article has been added to the. May. Assoc. Bock. Editing. New to the Road Traffic Act Amendment Act (No. 4) BE 2535.

Section 35"* Note: This article was originally canceled. And all the more New to the Act amendment May. Assoc. Bock. TRAFFIC (No. 3) Act 2535. , Section 3, which is published in the Government Gazette Volume 103 No. 180 dated October 13, 2529."

http://www.kodmhai.com/m4/m4-4/H9/m67-70.html

So that explains the redundancy in the law. The current law, section 34, has all those exceptions in it for when you can be in the right lanes on a motorbike, like when you are faster than the vehicles in the left lane.

• Like 2

If you DO carry your laminated version (above), pull it out, point to your section of the law and say, "I'm not paying; let's go to the police station right now." The guy might call your bluff, but you can bet he doesn't want to leave his lucrative corner. He got 200 baht from you. If he has to go the the police station, it's going to cost him at least 1,000-2,000 baht in lost collections. This ploy has worked for me. At a minimum, it will lower the price for you.

Of course, if you have given him your driver license, you also gave him power over you. I refuse to give them that, too. I carry a copy. I show them the real one and give them the copy. I will NOT give them the original.

Yeah, I know. If I pulled that stunt in the US, I'd be taken down, maced, tazed and beaten, then arrested for resisting arrest. But here, I get away with it. I think it is that Thai cops are not used to resistance and the just don't know what to do.

Edited by noendtoit
  • Like 2

Believe it or not but i get stopped regularly and I use a non registered bike without a greenbook I never show them my license nor do I pay anything. discussion lasts less than a minute and they let me go. Now every time i say this I get censored by the forum admin. At least I don't contribute to any corruption. Also Im fluent in thai but NEVER speak or understand thai with them

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

On those checkpoints if you spend enough time arguing, or pull out some excerpts of the law I think there's a good chance they will let you go, so as long as you don't offend them. After all, they could be making money pulling other "offenders" over rather than arguing with you.

I was stopped in Chiang Mai once because I had made a turn on red. However, I hadn't - I was just the first to make this turn when the light turned green, and I'd been fined at the exact same place for the same offense the week before so I'd made sure I didn't turn on red. I got pissed off, and made my point and to my surprise was waved on even though the police officer wasn't convinced. I later realized it was probably because I looked like I was going to waste a lot of his time there, valuable time in which he could stop 3, 4, 5 or 6 others and make some easy money off them.... rational decision, cut your losses and move on....

Sure, if i dont feel guilty i start discussing too and show them that i am not willing to pay bribes for things i havent done. Mostly this works pretty well and after some minutes they give up and let me go.

• Like 1

If you DO carry your laminated version (above), pull it out, point to your section of the law and say, "I'm not paying; let's go to the police station right now." The guy might call your bluff, but you can bet he doesn't want to leave his lucrative corner. He got 200 baht from you. If he has to go the the police station, it's going to cost him at least 1,000-2,000 baht in lost collections. This ploy has worked for me. At a minimum, it will lower the price for you....

He doesn't go to the police station, you do. It might be right away while he holds your motorbike keys and will not give them back until you return with a receipt, or he might keep your license and you will need to pay the fine at a later date and get your license back at that time, or they may have a fine counter set up on the spot where you will have to pay then and there.

• Like 1

I just passed there today, saw a bunch of them in brown uniform, not real police. They tried to pull me over, no thanks. next...

Dark brown uniforms are real police. (Except older cops that never replace thier uniforms and thus they have lightened several shades. The more your uniform is faded seems to be a status thing.) Do you mean tan? Those are usually tesseban security but the colors are not uniform nationwide, despite the name.

Edited by NomadJoe

Yes you did the right thing there given the circumstances.

TIT.

No, he didn't. And don't complain about being done for imaginary offenses when you are so easily going to let him steal from you. That is why they do it! They only ask for backhanders because they know you will comply. Corruption is wrong TIT or not and your lazyness is contributing directly to it.

There are multiple sections about keeping left, some apply to all vehicles, one mentions motorcycles, (actually using the term "motorised bicycles) rather than the more modern "motosai") There are many exceptions to the keep left laws. Nowhere does not say you cannot use the right lanes. Even section 35 has an "as possible" clause.

Print and laminate a copy of this and when he pulls out his printed and laminated copy pointing to a section, you pull out yours.

Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522

Title 3

Section 33 (500B)

When driving, the driver shall keep to the left of the road and must not drive beyond the middle of the roadway, except following situations:

a. there is obstruction on the road

b. the road is prescribed as one-way

c. the road width is less than 6m.

Section 34 (500B)

If the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

a. when there is obstruction on the road

b. when the road is prescribed as one-way

c. when it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction.

d. when overtaking another vehicle.

e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

Section 35 (400-1000B)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible. Otherwise every motorcycle of every size would be required to go no faster than the slowest vehicle in the left hand lane. This is a result of outdated laws written when motorbikes were 50cc.

ในการขับรถ ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถในทางเดินรถด้านซ้ายและต้องไม่ล้ำกึ่งกลางของทางเดินรถ เว้นแต่ในกรณีต่อไปนี้ ให้เดินทางขวาหรือล้ำกึ่งกลางของทางเดินรถได้

(๑) ด้านซ้ายของทางเดินรถมีสิ่งกีดขวางหรือถูกปิดการจราจร

(๒) ทางเดินรถนั้นเจ้าพนักงานจราจรกำหนดให้เป็นทางเดินรถทางเดียว

(๓) ทางเดินรถนั้นกว้างไม่ถึงหกเมตร

นการใช้ทางเดินรถที่ได้จัดแบ่งช่องเดินรถในทิศทางเดียวกันไว้ตั้งแต่สองช่องขึ้นไป หรือที่ได้จัดช่องเดินรถประจำทางไว้ในช่องเดินรถซ้ายสุด ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถในช่องซ้ายสุดหรือใกล้กับช่องเดินรถประจำทางเว้นแต่ในกรณีต่อไปนี้ ให้เดินทางขวาของทางเดินรถได้

(๑) ในช่องเดินรถนั้นมีสิ่งกีดขวางหรือถูกปิดการจราจร

๒) ทางเดินรถนั้น เจ้าพนักงานจราจรกำหนดให้เป็นทางเดินรถทางเดียว

(๓) จะต้องเข้าช่องทางให้ถูกต้องเมื่อเข้าบริเวณใกล้ทางร่วมทางแยก

(๔) เมื่อจะแซงขึ้นหน้ารถคันอื่น

(๕) เมื่อผู้ขับขี่ขับรถด้วยความเร็วสูงกว่ารถในช่องเดินรถด้านซ้าย

รถที่มีความเร็วช้าหรือรถที่มีความเร็วต่ำกว่าความเร็วของรถคันอื่นที่ขับในทิศทางเดียวกัน ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถให้ใกล้ขอบทางเดินรถด้านซ้ายเท่าที่จะกระทำได้

ผู้ขับขี่รถบรรทุก รถบรรทุกคนโดยสาร รถจักรยานยนต์ในทางเดินรถซึ่งได้แบ่งช่องเดินรถในทิศทางเดียวกันไว้ ตั้งแต่สองช่องขึ้นไปหรือได้จัดช่องเดินรถประจำทางด้านซ้ายไว้โดยเฉพาะ ต้องขับรถในช่องเดินรถด้านซ้ายสุดหรือใกล้เคียงกับช่องเดินรถประจำทางแล้วแต่กรณี

i am not here to fight corruption, not my war lets say!

Even if the police is trying to charge your for nothing, it does not mean you can runaway.

If you have problems or if you feel it is not fair, you can take the photos of the spot where they fined you, get the number of the police guy and go to the court. - be careful on asking the number of a policeman in Thailand, it might back fire. They threatened to ride me to the immigration once when i ask eh number of police guy acted rude towards me, i say go! anyway, nothing to fear, i am legal here.

• Like 1

If you DO carry your laminated version (above), pull it out, point to your section of the law and say, "I'm not paying; let's go to the police station right now." The guy might call your bluff, but you can bet he doesn't want to leave his lucrative corner. He got 200 baht from you. If he has to go the the police station, it's going to cost him at least 1,000-2,000 baht in lost collections. This ploy has worked for me. At a minimum, it will lower the price for you....

He doesn't go to the police station, you do. It might be right away while he holds your motorbike keys and will not give them back until you return with a receipt, or he might keep your license and you will need to pay the fine at a later date and get your license back at that time, or they may have a fine counter set up on the spot where you will have to pay then and there.

I NEVER let them get their hands on my license. I only SHOW it to them and hand them a paper copy of it, front and back. If you hand over your license, you've lost the game.

• Like 2

I just passed there today, saw a bunch of them in brown uniform, not real police. They tried to pull me over, no thanks. next...

They were probably hotel or condo security doing traffic duty and trying to get you to stop so you don't plow into the car pulling out. lol

• Like 1

Yes you did the right thing there given the circumstances.

TIT.

No, he didn't. And don't complain about being done for imaginary offenses when you are so easily going to let him steal from you. That is why they do it! They only ask for backhanders because they know you will comply. Corruption is wrong TIT or not and your lazyness is contributing directly to it.

There are multiple sections about keeping left, some apply to all vehicles, one mentions motorcycles, (actually using the term "motorised bicycles) rather than the more modern "motosai") There are many exceptions to the keep left laws. Nowhere does not say you cannot use the right lanes. Even section 35 has an "as possible" clause.

Print and laminate a copy of this and when he pulls out his printed and laminated copy pointing to a section, you pull out yours.

Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522

Title 3

Section 33 (500B)

When driving, the driver shall keep to the left of the road and must not drive beyond the middle of the roadway, except following situations:

a. there is obstruction on the road

b. the road is prescribed as one-way

c. the road width is less than 6m.

Section 34 (500B)

If the road is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction, the driver shall keep to the outermost left-hand side lane. If the outermost left-hand side lane is a bus lane, the driver shall keep close to the bus lane. Except following situations:

a. when there is obstruction on the road

b. when the road is prescribed as one-way

c. when it is necessary to enter the correct lane upon approaching a junction.

d. when overtaking another vehicle.

e. when driving faster than vehicles in the left-hand side lane.

Section 35 (400-1000B)

The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle, vehicle of low speed or traveling at lower speed than those of other vehicles moving in the same direction, shall keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible. Otherwise every motorcycle of every size would be required to go no faster than the slowest vehicle in the left hand lane. This is a result of outdated laws written when motorbikes were 50cc.

ในการขับรถ ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถในทางเดินรถด้านซ้ายและต้องไม่ล้ำกึ่งกลางของทางเดินรถ เว้นแต่ในกรณีต่อไปนี้ ให้เดินทางขวาหรือล้ำกึ่งกลางของทางเดินรถได้

(๑) ด้านซ้ายของทางเดินรถมีสิ่งกีดขวางหรือถูกปิดการจราจร

(๒) ทางเดินรถนั้นเจ้าพนักงานจราจรกำหนดให้เป็นทางเดินรถทางเดียว

(๓) ทางเดินรถนั้นกว้างไม่ถึงหกเมตร

นการใช้ทางเดินรถที่ได้จัดแบ่งช่องเดินรถในทิศทางเดียวกันไว้ตั้งแต่สองช่องขึ้นไป หรือที่ได้จัดช่องเดินรถประจำทางไว้ในช่องเดินรถซ้ายสุด ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถในช่องซ้ายสุดหรือใกล้กับช่องเดินรถประจำทางเว้นแต่ในกรณีต่อไปนี้ ให้เดินทางขวาของทางเดินรถได้

(๑) ในช่องเดินรถนั้นมีสิ่งกีดขวางหรือถูกปิดการจราจร

๒) ทางเดินรถนั้น เจ้าพนักงานจราจรกำหนดให้เป็นทางเดินรถทางเดียว

(๓) จะต้องเข้าช่องทางให้ถูกต้องเมื่อเข้าบริเวณใกล้ทางร่วมทางแยก

(๔) เมื่อจะแซงขึ้นหน้ารถคันอื่น

(๕) เมื่อผู้ขับขี่ขับรถด้วยความเร็วสูงกว่ารถในช่องเดินรถด้านซ้าย

รถที่มีความเร็วช้าหรือรถที่มีความเร็วต่ำกว่าความเร็วของรถคันอื่นที่ขับในทิศทางเดียวกัน ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถให้ใกล้ขอบทางเดินรถด้านซ้ายเท่าที่จะกระทำได้

ผู้ขับขี่รถบรรทุก รถบรรทุกคนโดยสาร รถจักรยานยนต์ในทางเดินรถซึ่งได้แบ่งช่องเดินรถในทิศทางเดียวกันไว้ ตั้งแต่สองช่องขึ้นไปหรือได้จัดช่องเดินรถประจำทางด้านซ้ายไว้โดยเฉพาะ ต้องขับรถในช่องเดินรถด้านซ้ายสุดหรือใกล้เคียงกับช่องเดินรถประจำทางแล้วแต่กรณี

Even if the police is trying to charge your for nothing, it does not mean you can runaway.

If you have problems or if you feel it is not fair, you can take the photos of the spot where they fined you, get the number of the police guy and go to the court. - be careful on asking the number of a policeman in Thailand, it might back fire. They threatened to ride me to the immigration once when i ask eh number of police guy acted rude towards me, i say go! anyway, nothing to fear, i am legal here.

You do not have the option to go to court for traffic offenses in Thailand. Your judge is the officer manning the fine desk.

You do not have the option to go to court for traffic offenses in Thailand. Your judge is the officer manning the fine desk.

Urban legend biggrin.png

Edited by wantan

Its not my country. And as an expat living here i am not welcome to have an opinion on such things.

So i dont feel any need to fight corruption. If thais are happy with it its OK for me. If they are not happy THEY can fight it. Doesnt bother me at all smile.png

This kind of "not my country so not my problem" apathy is disgusting. It's about right and wrong and what your passport has written on it does not excuse you from your responsibility as a human being. And Thai's are actually not happy with it. You may have seen something in the news about a coup. Read up a bit on it. Corruption was at the heart of it.

Thailand has one of the highest road death rates in the world. Innocent people die everyday. Men, women and children. By reinforcing this behavior, you become responsible for it. Congratulations, baby killer.

• Like 1

Its not my country. And as an expat living here i am not welcome to have an opinion on such things.

So i dont feel any need to fight corruption. If thais are happy with it its OK for me. If they are not happy THEY can fight it. Doesnt bother me at all smile.png

This kind of "not my country so not my problem" apathy is disgusting. It's about right and wrong and what your passport has written on it does not excuse you from your responsibility as a human being. And Thai's are actually not happy with it. You may have seen something in the news about a coup. Read up a bit on it. Corruption was at the heart of it.

Thailand has one of the highest road death rates in the world. Innocent people die everyday. Men, women and children. By reinforcing this behavior, you become responsible for it. Congratulations, baby killer.

> what your passport has written on it does not excuse you from your responsibility as a human being

> ...

> Congratulations, baby killer.

Strong words. Still doesnt bother me at all. Why should i be responsible for others breaking the law? Yes, thais are not happy with it (junta says), but still there are policeman asking for bribes and taking them. Thats not my fault. Thats how it always has been and always will be (i guess).

Here is what happens if you start making video of police. What will happen if its not a woman holding the camera?

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

On the issue of corruption, I find it distasteful and think it's bad for Thailand but I don't see it as a basic responsibility of human beings to educate police about the disadvantages of taking bribes. It is primarily a culture thing and as a foreigner it is not my place to push for change based on my own values. Furthermore, I suspect most Thais will NOT want foreigners to intervene and push for these changes, even if they would like to see less corruption.

• Like 2

There is a very interesting addition to sections 34 and 35 stating that section 34 was added and section 35 was repealed in 1992:

Section 34:* Note: This article has been added to the. May. Assoc. Bock. Editing. New to the Road Traffic Act Amendment Act (No. 4) BE 2535.

Section 35"* Note: This article was originally canceled. And all the more New to the Act amendment May. Assoc. Bock. TRAFFIC (No. 3) Act 2535. , Section 3, which is published in the Government Gazette Volume 103 No. 180 dated October 13, 2529."

So that explains the redundancy in the law. The current law, section 34, has all those exceptions in it for when you can be in the right lanes on a motorbike, like when you are faster than the vehicles in the left lane.

All good and nice.. i had this paper with translation with me once when I was stopped. It did me no good at all. They definitely need to change this certainly for the bigger bikes. Fat chance of course as it makes a lot of money for the police.

• Like 2

The problem I have with the left hand lane scam enforcement is that it encourages dangerous lane discipline.

I and many other riders in Bangkok will tend to hop in and out of the left lane in the areas where we know the BIB are likely to be pulling bikes over.

This means that in the busiest sections of Sukhumvit, Rama IV, Petchburi etc we tend to hover just on the outside of the left lane - which is exactly where experienced riders would not be. If you move further out into where you get a better view of the road ahead and where you are out of the bus/taxi killing zone - you are at risk of being pulled as the BIB can see you.

I guess the safer alternative is to go for safe road positioning and just accelerate when you see the BIB waving at you?

• Like 1

On the issue of corruption, I find it distasteful and think it's bad for Thailand but I don't see it as a basic responsibility of human beings to educate police about the disadvantages of taking bribes. It is primarily a culture thing and as a foreigner it is not my place to push for change based on my own values. Furthermore, I suspect most Thais will NOT want foreigners to intervene and push for these changes, even if they would like to see less corruption.

Not particiating in an illegal act which is crippling this country is not in any way "foreigners intervening and pushing for change.", it is simply not reinforcing it.

> what your passport has written on it does not excuse you from your responsibility as a human being

> ...

> Congratulations, baby killer.

Strong words. Still doesnt bother me at all. Why should i be responsible for others breaking the law? Yes, thais are not happy with it (junta says), but still there are policeman asking for bribes and taking them. Thats not my fault. Thats how it always has been and always will be (i guess).

Here is what happens if you start making video of police. What will happen if its not a woman holding the camera?

You are responsible for the laws you break, and bribing a police officer is illegal. It is not how it will always be. Things are slowly changing for the better. Go look up what happened to that officer.

Edited by NomadJoe

All good and nice.. i had this paper with translation with me once when I was stopped. It did me no good at all. They definitely need to change this certainly for the bigger bikes. Fat chance of course as it makes a lot of money for the police.

Were you in a middle or right lane when the left lane was unobstructed or you didn't need to turn right? If so then that is a legitimate violation both here and back home.

You are responsible for the laws you break, and bribing a police officer is illegal. It is not how it will always be. Things are slowly changing for the better. Go look up what happened to that officer.

No forum member here broke the law in LOS. You got soemthing completely wrong blink.png

But sometimes confusing things happen in LOS.

One day an officer stopped me and i think he said i did something wrong and i had to pay a fine. I only speak little bit thai and so i am not sure what exactly he told me and what was the problem. So i gave him some money, the only thing i understood was he wanted money. Then after i rode off i realised he had forgotten to give me a reciept for the fine. Its not my fault he isnt doing his work correctly. And i thought i may get the receipt per post as he had checked my license and should know my identity. But the receipt never came. Whatever, if i had a receipt i wouldnt be able to read it. So for me no problem. Sometime life in LOS is so confusing different to my home country. I will never understand it..

some solutions for riders here running away from police stops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubWXzkiAcYw#t=11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6rLhkZ3

Personally, I use the plate flipper on my bike. I love the thing. I flip it down when passing traffic patrol at high speed or running a red light, then flip it back down later. Or, If I am just traveling on open highway at high speed and am unsure of the presence of speed cameras, I just keep it down, flipping it back up each time I enter a town. It' gret. I have a switch with LED (so I know whether up or down) on my handlebar.

• Like 1

Between a DTracker250, Nouvo135, and Tricity I've done ~20,000kms and been stopped ~10 times in BKK.

The first few times I was breaking the law so I paid up.

Half the time they just checked to see if I had a license and let me go.

Once I refused to pay the bribe so the guy wrote some BS for the maximum 400b fine and I had to go to the police station to get my license back.

So I think its best to avoid stopping or just pay the lesser bribe.

They get sketchy when you have a camera on your helmet.

Maybe I'll glue a fake camera permanently on my helmet to avoid future BS.

I really ride lots around bkk and get stopped often, even been stopped at the same check point on the the return journey, as the sun changes possition and puts the other side of the road in the shade so do the bib change sides,

Have never paid them tea money or what ever although they blatently try it on,

On a few occasions i have been wearing a gopro on my chest, mostly if they notice the camera they will wave you on before you actually come to a stop.

• Like 1

Were you in a middle or right lane when the left lane was unobstructed or you didn't need to turn right? If so then that is a legitimate violation both here and back home.

It was in BKK ever seen a free lane there ? I was going same speed as the other cars on the right lane the left lanes were full of cars. I and others have often been grabbed for this. I showed them the law with translation made a scene.. did not help. Seriously I got fed up with it and tried this. It did not work they kept going on about section 35 without the exclusions 34 according to him was for the cars.

Personally, I use the plate flipper on my bike. I love the thing. I flip it down when passing traffic patrol at high speed or running a red light, then flip it back down later. Or, If I am just traveling on open highway at high speed and am unsure of the presence of speed cameras, I just keep it down, flipping it back up each time I enter a town. It' gret. I have a switch with LED (so I know whether up or down) on my handlebar.

Great for you but your an <deleted> for jumping red lights. If there is one kind of person I hate its red light jumpers on bikes or cars.

• Like 2

Great for you but your an <deleted> for jumping red lights. If there is one kind of person I hate its red light jumpers on bikes or cars.

You just hate me because I'm beautiful.

You just hate me because I'm beautiful.

and because you are smart too i guess!

They are waiting for you. They say more photos from now on!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is to photograph people using their phones while driving. Nothing to do with motorbikes.