Cruising Bangkok

Scott

One of the things I enjoy is cruising around BKK. I am wondering where some of the off-beat, less well known crusing places are. I know that most of the shopping centers are fairly active and that of course Silom is probably the best area. Where are some other places and what do you find interesting about them.

By the way, much of the time, I am only looking around. There is some nice eye-candy out there. This isn't about exploits--just interesting places. Also, some of the lower class places are quite interesting, very local, quite colorful.

Your experiences?

Well Scott, 3 days and no replies but a fair amount of people have read your question. Seems like nobody has any experiences of other places to relate. Could be because all the good cruising areas ARE around what you have already mentioned, that is the main shopping arteries , Silom and Sukhumvit . I too in the past have rarely ventured outside of these areas. When i have though my experiences are that almost anywhere that has people is a good cruising area .

Because of the nature of Thai people , open friendly curious etc, you can have an encounter almost anywhere , unlike in the UK where you are more likely to meet trouble for your efforts.

Not much help i'm afraid but i thought i would reply as you had taken the trouble to post a question.

Most of the obvious answers are good- wherever people are. Malls, markets, shopping streets, etc., etc. I don't want to start listing any specific locations on a heavily-read forum like this. Probably find them boarded up and patrolled by dogs courtesy of Thai "social order." Welcome to China.

I am frankly at a loss here for the definition of 'cruising' the OP is using ...

if he is referring to eye-candy ... well then the entire LOS ...

if he is referring to meeting willing casual partners ... then that's gonna depend on language skills outside of tourist places

if he is referring to places for public/semi-public encounters ... then my only comment other than don't do it .. is stay home!

By cruising I mean whatever it is you want it to mean. I don't know of any places that one can't enjoy looking around without being involved in something that they don't want to do.

For example, around Central Rama II there are a lot of nice looking people--it tends to be the upper strata of society, but walk across the connecting bridge to Big C and there is the lovely mix of working class people--factory workers and the construction workers. If your interested in meeting someone, it can be done, but these areas are a little more discreet, so you can sit and read your paper and enjoy the many lovely people coming and going and not get bothered--(I've not run into any money boys, but then I haven't been actively seeking).

In short, I don't have anything in particular in mind, just wondering where people like to go for "people-watching." And more, if they wish to share it.

safe cruising for the new millennium! excellent!

In that case i spend my entire life cruising! after riding the bts, and wandering through a busy department store on the way to work i usually need a lie down!

If it's eye candy you're after then bkk is one big candy store, buses, bts, mrt, shopping centres, work places, street markets, up market places, down market places, wherever!!

Why just tonight a rather cute young thing was smiling at me on the BTS, probably because id been glancing at him every 7 seconds. .....

Thanks dumpster, but I think I know the type of places your talking about. I doubt that would be a suitable topic for this forum. I probably should have used a word other than cruising. I do know the BTS is good for making eye contact and the nice smile and the occasional getting off at the same stop type of thing.

I've often wondered why the BTS is so good and buses aren't. Maybe on buses people are just trying to stay alive!

BTS/Subway is often a radically different group of people from the busses ....

I do have to say that people on the busses warm up quickly when they know you speak Thai. Speaking to the fare collector or on the phone in Thai and all of a sudden it gets pretty :o

• 4 weeks later...
The San Saeb canal. 15 baht.

By the way, whatever happened to "Marilyn" ? Friend of 'gender-bending' popstar "Boy George"....in the days before the latter became obese and bald.

Last time I saw him he sat behind me in the cinema looking a little worse for wear :o:D

Hey, Scott- just for meeting people, the whole country is great- as long as you're paying attention. Saw a cutey on the BTS the other day who signalled that he wanted to exchange phone numbers; got off at his stop and did- it's that simple! And you can pretty much do that anywhere. I don't think I've ever had a negative reaction to simple flirting and/or asking someone's phone number.

I'm not an outdoor sex kind-o-guy except maybe once in a blue moon, so I don't really keep my eyes open for the other kind of thing. I've seen a few places that I figured were probably "that way," but had little interest in checking 'em out. Dating's risky enough for me. Frankly, though, if I were into that scene, I probably wouldn't want to see more foreigners there anyway! (I mean, imagine it- there're probably a few hundred gay guys in Thailand reading this forum- you write up a place, and instantly you've got 2-3 dozen more foreigners there the next busy night. That by itself would be conspicuous enough to keep anything interesting from happening!)

"Steven"