Thaivisa.com to meet with Immigration Commissioner

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Following samran: Is there a way to approach the Immigration Commission (Section 6 of the Immigration Act) directly ?

Is Lt.Gen. Sakda Chuenpakdee the "Commander of Immigration Division as member and secretary" mentioned there ?

Edited by DrTuner

I was at Chiang Mai Immigration this morning. I arrived at 6:15 am. Outside the office was a queue of about 50 people already waiting. No list, no queue number, just stand in line and wait till 8 am to get inside the waiting room and get your number. Will there be any change in the Chiang Mai immigration soon? What about opening a second office on the other side of the city? 

I agree with you Saman, but I hope that some of the why, why, why? questions will be asked.

Then at least the Commander will be aware of the many inequitable situations that the current immigration rules present.

• Like 2

Can the officer please give those worrying about being blacklisted for overstay a clear and definite date as to when the rules will come into effect. My friend keeps getting told different dates which is confusing and worrying him at the same time. There must be also a lot more who you could assure. Thank you.

Great idea to get some clarification.

One Question...

If you have current overstay but have booked a flight out the country and are travelling to the airport but get stopped by the police/army, will you be arrested or can you continue to the airport to get your flight and pay the fine.

Common sense would suggest that you can continue to the airport, however i'm sure that won''t actually happen on the ground in most cases.

Kind regards

In many countries, you can obtain the right of residence, if you stay legally in a country for several years. For example, in Hong Kong, after 7 consecutive years, you automatically become a permanent resident. I understand there's currently a system in Thailand for residency, but places are limited, and the process lengthy and complicated. For example, if somebody retiring in Thailand at age 50, 60, does it really make sense for him/she to have to extend visa, do 90-day reporting, until he/she passes away, possibly for 30 to 50 years? Would Thai authorities consider residency to long term residents after 10/15/20 years?

Hear, hear. My question related to this (if it isn't too late) is why cannot retirees like myself who have never paid direct taxes in Thailand be eligible for PR?

A foreigner's passport number is coded into their Thai driver license.   If a person has a valid Thai driver's license, will possession of that fulfill the requirement of "proper identification"?   In other words, rather than carrying your passport with you at all times, would the driver's license be acceptable?

• Like 2

How about extended visas for those that have helped Thais in need? So far, I've paid for a 2m baht home for my wife's family and paid for schooling for children that aren't mine or my wife's (nephew/niece). I also paid for medical care for my wife's sister after a very serious illness (she had a paid nurse 24/7 at home and a hospital bed I paid for...sadly she passed away). I give a monthly allowance to my elderly Thai Father and Mother in law. Many others do this too. Wouldn't it be fair to make life easier for those that do such things?

• Like 1

How about extended visas for those that have helped Thais in need? So far, I've paid for a 2m baht home for my wife's family and paid for schooling for children that aren't mine or my wife's (nephew/niece). I also paid for medical care for my wife's sister after a very serious illness (she had a paid nurse 24/7 at home and a hospital bed I paid for...sadly she passed away). I give a monthly allowance to my elderly Thai Father and Mother in law. Many others do this too. Wouldn't it be fair to make life easier for those that do such things?

So, because your are a walking atm the immigrition has to give you a extended visa? If you are married just do the paperwork and get a 1 year extention on your non o. Simple, live is easy if you know what you are doing.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What do you suggest someone under retirement age who is financially able to support themselves should do to stay in Thailand since they do not qualify for a retirement Visa?

If there are no legitimate options at this time, is it possible to create a new Visa for people under retirement age who wish to remain in Thailand for an extended period of time who are able to show proof of income or savings?

• Like 1

When Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) staff working abroad in one of the Thai Embassies or Consulates receive an application for a triple entry visa, they will also receive the applicant's passport. This means that they can check what previous visas have been granted. If the staff then accept payment from the applicant, and issue the visa, even if several recent visas have already been issued, would the Commissioner accept that his staff should not stop the passport holder from entering Thailand on the first entry or from activating the second and third entries on border runs.

Whilst it is accepted that his staff have the final say on whether permission to stay is granted, that permission should only be refused if his staff have additional information that was not available to the MFA at the time it accepted payment of the fees and granted the visa application. Clear evidence of working in Thailand would be good reason to refuse entry, but a mere feeling that the traveller has had too many recent tourist visas would not.

Edited to add phrase in second paragraph about MFA accepting payment before issuing the visa. Edited by silver sea

One very important thing to note on the triple entry visa sticker that has been put in the passport by the Embassy or Consulate is the "Enter Before" date e.g. 12th September 2014.

Could the Commissioner clarify whether that means either:

(1) you have to activate the third and final entry on your visa by 11th September 2014 at the latest; or
(2) you have until midnight on 12th September to do so.

I have always assumed that it meant (1), but I have noted one or two posts on ThaiVisa which suggest that travellers have been told by Immigration staff that (2) in fact applies.

My background is "Law Enforcement" at the US Govt basis (Homeland Security) and I know the challenges with implementing new regulations at US ports of entry.

Question:

1).  Will the new immigration regulations be implemented "consistently" at all Thai ports of entry (to include land, sea and airports)?

2).  Will there be an advanced notice of the regulation changes with a grace period prior to the implementation?

Currently, each providence seems to administer/interpret the regulations differently.

3).  Also, will there be a "Hotline" or website to voice concerns or problems by the general public?

I hope the Immigration Commissioner learnt from the meeting that the current visa laws/classes cause the most problems for those who are under 50 years of age, and who are single and self funded. 

There needs to be a proper visa created for this demographic.

The 90 Day Reports consume massive paper. Paper is made from wood, not at least also from rainforest. So as a nations that wants to have a green and enviromental friendly image, isn't it counterproductive to have routines like this still in place, whose actually coming from an era before the invention of computers and the internet?

I cannot count how many copies of my passport, rental contracts, bills, different visa pages from my passort i gave already to the immigration office. I wondering how many trees was already cut just for all this paperwork. Are their any changes ahead to make it a win-win situation for all: The enviroment, the immigration officers, the foreigners and the whole country as it could help to improve an enviromental, green image what is much better for advertising tourism at all?

SCG paper love it.

Why are the extension/visa requirements for Thai Men marrying foreign women much easier than for Thai Women marrying foriegn men? Is this simply an out-dated law, and will it be changed?

The Thai 2007 constitution declares that:

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

Various people, both foreigners and Thai, have tried to get this before the Constitution Court for at least 5 years. For some unknown reason. they have got no where. Who is behind the blockage...have no idea nor their motivation.

Perhaps a petition might be of assistance.

• Like 1

The major problem for myself and I am sure many others is the total lack of security we have visa wise if the unforessen happens..

I am a 64 year old Brit married to a Thai and have a 9 year old "Leuk Kreung" son. I have lived here on and off for 11 years and permanently since late 2009.

We have a lovely house in my wife's village, a car, 3 motorbikes a MiniMart near home on 10 rai and few plots of land ranging from 1 to 33 rai. All paid for by me with money bought in from the UK and totalling in excess of 30 million THB. Add to this the many millions I have spent in my time here on givimg my family a nice standard of living and you will see I am fully committed to living in Thailand.

Yet all this is worth nothing if Immigration change the requirements for me to stay here and I cannot meet those requirements.

In my country my wife would have had British Citizenship long ago just for being my wife and the mother of a dual Thai/British son.

I cannot apply for Permanent Residence as I do not work and pay imcome tax here.

Why after 11 years of marriage do I still have to meet finacial requirements to stay but cannot include the assets we have accumulated, over the years, with money bought in from overseas, and the income we get from them?

this is terrible :(

Are there updates on the results of this interview?

I notice there is a new topic posted by the Scarf today giving the translations and summaries of the orders but no mention of the interview.

Thanks. Yes I read that but more interested in the announced interview.

The meeting happened but was late. A report will follow soon.
Answers to follow soon give us few days please. 
Watch for a new topic with the answers.
Since this topic has evolved into a discussion and the meeting has occurred. 

Topic mfr_closed1.gif.pagespeed.ce.UuJWYpOV2u.

• Like 2